Iphone or Android for KS App?

UKJ

Hello,

I still have no smart phone and have read that the smaller screens on some Android phones do not show the whole app so one can not change certain things, any one have this? But having a bigger 6" smart phone in my pocket seems cumbersome?

If apple iphone works what is the earliest (cheapest) version that will work well? Smaller maybe more reliable?

I only need to be able to use all the app functions ie, speed beep and tilt back settings, level, but most important is temperature, and music would be nice!

So..... better find an older Iphone or brand new off brand big screen android?

Thanks, ukj

1 hour ago, UKJ said:

Hello,

I still have no smart phone and have read that the smaller screens on some Android phones do not show the whole app so one can not change certain things, any one have this? But having a bigger 6" smart phone in my pocket seems cumbersome?

If apple iphone works what is the earliest (cheapest) version that will work well? Smaller maybe more reliable?

I only need to be able to use all the app functions ie, speed beep and tilt back settings, level, but most important is temperature, and music would be nice!

Thanks, ukj

You're a legacy man without smartphone ;)

You ride a KS14 800W? This one is iOS (Bluetooth low energy) compatible with two radios for Bluetooth 2.x and Bluetooth 4.0/ LE. If iPhone I would go for at least iPhone 4s or better the 5/ 5s.

1 hour ago, Frankman said:

@UKJ I don't have a smart phone as well, but have an iPad. The KingSong app seems to be not perfectly compatible with it. The lower part  of the app screen is not displyed, so some features are not selectable. I asked KingSong China  @tinawong   and  @Kingsong-France   but they haven't replyed yet.

I had a look on my iPad mini. You're right. It's an iPhone App but that shouldn't happen on the iPad. They not used to do it in a structured way and it looks like they don't follow all developer documentation.

/edit iPhone 6 looks good. 

5 hours ago, UKJ said:

Hello,

Thanks, ukj

I have the Kingsong 18-a and I bought a small cheap android phone at Walmart for $20 to use specifically for wearing on an armband while riding to monitor the app functions and the small screen does indeed cut off the bottom of the app screen so that the control buttons are missing.However,it does show all the app dials so it is perfect for monitoring as long as you don't need to change any settings such as ride mode.The rockwheel app posted in the Rockwheel section also connects with and displays the Kingsong dials and is better to monitor the functions in my opinion because of the layout.The Rockwheel app shows all the indicators but doesn't allow one to change any of the Kingsong settings such as ride mode.I had originally bought a used iphone 4 to use for this purpose but have not been able to get the iphone Kingsong app to connect to the wheel.It does connect to the speakers for music,but not to control the app functions.

I understand that the problem with the app that itworks only for a certain ratio if the screen sides. It cuts off the bottom on my android phone and ipad, but on iphone it works in full

52 minutes ago, jrkline said:

I have the Kingsong 18-a and I bought a small cheap android phone at Walmart for $20 to use specifically for wearing on an armband while riding to monitor the app functions and the small screen does indeed cut off the bottom of the app screen so that the control buttons are missing.However,it does show all the app dials so it is perfect for monitoring as long as you don't need to change any settings such as ride mode.The rockwheel app posted in the Rockwheel section also connects with and displays the Kingsong dials and is better to monitor the functions in my opinion because of the layout.The Rockwheel app shows all the indicators but doesn't allow one to change any of the Kingsong settings such as ride mode.I had originally bought a used iphone 4 to use for this purpose but have not been able to get the iphone Kingsong app to connect to the wheel.It does connect to the speakers for music,but not to control the app functions.

That's a problem of the so called diversification of the Android market. Different components, different screen sizes and resolution and different flavours of OS setups/ compilations.

I'm with iPhone since the iPhone 3, no problems. Change them with the main technology cycle every two year.

1 hour ago, jrkline said:

If it only connects to audio it's the old mainboard with BT 2 only

23 minutes ago, OliverH said:

That's a problem of the so called diversification of the Android market. Different components, different screen sizes and resolution and different flavours of OS setups/ compilations.

I'm with iPhone since the iPhone 3, no problems. Change them with the main technology cycle every two year.

If it only connects to audio it's the old mainboard with BT 2 only

Does that mean that there are iphone 4 versions that will connect? I.e. have something beyond BT2? meaning that the problem is hardware related and not software?

Try to buy last year Android model on eBay, I don't have cellar service, only use wifi, smartphone have many benefits, you can use, I bought to use Skype, take notes, camera, contacts, in is worth spending money on one, don't just get cheap small phone...

3 hours ago, Frankman said:

Yes @OliverH but the problem actually occurs not only with Android but also with iOS iPad

Something went wrong on programming. Also on the iPad it should scale correctly if made properly. But basiclly it's an iPhone App and not a Hybrid (iPhone and iPad).

3 hours ago, jrkline said:

Does that mean that there are iphone 4 versions that will connect? I.e. have something beyond BT2? meaning that the problem is hardware related and not software?

I would not go with an iPhone 4 as it's not comaptible with iOS 9.x. Since 4s it's Bluetooth low energy comaptible (https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/DeviceInformation/Reference/iOSDeviceCompatibility/DeviceCompatibilityMatrix/DeviceCompatibilityMatrix.html). For that reason i said at least iPhone 4s.

18 hours ago, Kingsong-France said:

Hi,

i am in ks factory next week, we will find solution ASAP

Please let us all know what you find out so I and others can take full advantage of the KINGSONG app using the correct phone!

I am SO happy there are nice guys here willing to share so I do, did not buy a smart phone that would not work! THANKS!

ukj

Im not sure about iphone 4 but it works on iphone 5

also, i wouldnt blame apple for varying screen dimensions. I believe there is a way to write apps so that they will fit any screen....

as jrklinne said try the new rockwheel app, it works with my KS14C from december and might fit on smaller displays (cant test since KS app fits on mine) 
you can connect, see battery, speed, odometer, trip distance and you can set rocker and speed limit but changing the ride mode doesnt seem to work

Archived