Leaperkim Lynx 2700wh: 151V, 20" tire, suspension, 89lb

RagingGrandpa

15 hours ago, The Brahan Seer said:

This was what Mike captioned: Lynx went buck wild last night. I’ve been riding down a lot of stairs here in San Francisco and noticed my motor bolts had gotten loose. I opened up the wheel, retightened the bolts, and added loctite on Thursday. On my first ride after tightening the bolts they became loose again. This time it caused the wheel to shudder while I was riding. I rode up to Kelly to show her what was happening and the wheel bucked me off. Got my knee twisted up in the wheel rodeo 🐂 😑 Not stoked

If I can lose motor bolts by riding around  ... Mike jumping wheel must be fucked up. Other wheel would shake before failing, but lynx holds by motor and two aluminum clamps. Having screws directly in magnesium or aluminum sucks, there should be mating some harder component so we can use more than 15 nm. Bikes caseates uses 25 for example.

I recommend checking your wheel weekly.
After last lynx crash I fucked up my shoulder and have serom on my ass :D -  Not stoked as well. It means daily pain and I can just screech, exercise and hope. Starting to noticing that my body doesn't heal as fast after 35 as in 20ties. I would love to know how he is doing it. Respect ! 

Since lynx is bestseller I think we will soon get aftermarker CNC made clamps. 

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, daniel1234 said:

Since lynx is bestseller I think we will soon get aftermarker CNC made clamps. 

Already available for some time now on Ali Express, made by BeiDou: 

https://tinyurl.com/Lynx-shock-clamp

https://video.aliexpressmedia.com/play/u/ae_sg_item/2200727706762/p/1/e/6/t/10301/1100216533079.mp4?from=edge

Sc54d8fa20cbc42e2a5d21b1a3fda934d5.jpg

Edited by fbhb

I see a lot of commentary specially on Facebook that the problem is the bracket and that it is too weak and that LeaperKim needs to make it stronger, I completely disagree with this assessment.

The 4 bolts are the most important part, those need to be properly torqued, the slot in the axle is just there to provide some additional strength against sheering the bolts.

I made a quick mockup to illustrate how the bracket and bolts slots into the axle.

image.thumb.png.8879b86453a4bf9f25d82a64a9c4dc0e.png

If those 4 bolts are loose all the torque is transferred into the middle tab on the bracket, regardless how strong this middle tab is it will eventually break because it's not intended to handle all that stress by itself, swapping the bracket to some super strong aluminum for a lot of money is not going to solve that situation (which can be avoided).

My conclusions from all of this is that if you ride very hard and like to do a lot of jumping you need to regularly perform maintenance and make sure that the motor bolts are properly torqued to specification with a torque wrench.

Regular maintenance is common practice in motocross, mountainbiking, downhill riding or whatever other sport with a mechanical vehicle, we can't expect that our wheels should hold up to all these very stressful things without having to do maintenance (with proper tools), it's not realistic.

I also believe this would have happened sooner rather than later on a lot of other wheels, I know several EX30 owners that had loose motor bolts and they aren't jumping them.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, t0me said:

Is there a torque spec for the pedal hanger bolts (8 per side)?

Not that I have seen, considering they are M5 I would go with 7-8Nm.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, onkeldanuel said:

I mean, how comes that someone would ride a wheel with already loose motorbolts, if i understand this correctly

lost in translation. He was aware the motor bolts were loose, fixed it, went for a ride and they came loose again. 

9 minutes ago, The Brahan Seer said:

lost in translation. He was aware the motor bolts were loose, fixed it, went for a ride and they came loose again. 

Ok, thx for clarification, misunderstood then 

9 hours ago, novazeus said:

have to clean the threads of both with acetone(nail polish remover for wrongway).

🤣

On 5/21/2024 at 8:57 AM, Rawnei said:

I see a lot of commentary specially on Facebook that the problem is the bracket and that it is too weak and that LeaperKim needs to make it stronger, I completely disagree with this assessment.

Motor to shock bracket should be steel. Weight saving, by using aluminum,  on that small part is minimum. Slot in axle will not help against twisting motion.

Shock have enough leverage to bend it.

1 hour ago, daniel1234 said:

Motor to shock bracket should be steel. Weight saving, by using aluminum,  on that small part is minimum. Slot in axle will not help against twisting motion.

Shock have enough leverage to bend it.

Everything depends on the motor bolts, those sheered off because they were loose.

On 5/21/2024 at 2:57 AM, Rawnei said:

My conclusions from all of this is that if you ride very hard and like to do a lot of jumping you need to regularly perform maintenance and make sure that the motor bolts are properly torqued to specification with a torque wrench.

Regular maintenance is common practice in motocross, mountainbiking, downhill riding or whatever other sport with a mechanical vehicle, we can't expect that our wheels should hold up to all these very stressful things without having to do maintenance (with proper tools), it's not realistic.

I concur with this statement. The YouTube channel, RealMechanicStuff, have a few videos about offroading vehicles, and they explain clips of jeeps losing their wheels or suspension by saying "inspect and tighten your bolts after heavy off-road riding."

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Duster said:

I concur with this statement. The YouTube channel, RealMechanicStuff, have a few videos about offroading vehicles, and they explain clips of jeeps losing their wheels or suspension by saying "inspect and tighten your bolts after heavy off-road riding."

Yeah it's just physics, all those vibrations and impact forces, that's a lot of stress.

For most everyday rider it's not necessary to check that often but we're talking about Shibby here.

• Haha 1

New info and images from Shibby, apparently the whole axle cracked:

image.thumb.jpeg.13d113a38450ee9223d2f1e73ea4db97.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8e8a0a932db4b48fbb4195fdd41bb20a.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

No amount of proper torque specs, maintenance or upgraded bracket is going to solve that problem of a weak subpar material axle. The way it crumbled there looks like the axle is just made from cast aluminum rather than a solid cnc piece. The threading that the screws go into is completely ripped out. The failure point is a combination of the axle and bracket. The screws didnt shear off at all it was the axle

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, CrabChampion said:

Probably not too much since he only really rides with a helmet, or no gear at all lol

i love my little lynxes, but as i have said before, they are like my little jeeps. my v13's are like my one ton pickups i use to own. (sold the jeep too).

i can just tell by riding them on my complete shit moonscape, and that's both, 66 and 70, they could not handle much more weight on pavement, on raw land, eh, the tire is so softi i can squeeze it with my broken thumb left hand. 

but that squishyness also makes it a good trials type euc. idk if it's the tire or the suspension design, but there seems to be a torsional component to it, and like the squishy tire, can be a benefit. 

i'd been riding them alot and no v13's, until last night's ride and hitting the pastures initially i was like yuck, i'm selling this, haha. then my legs said, "ok, we'll go to work" and everything was fine. 

rode the v13 again this morning, and even though it's a more demanding wheel, i feel safer around cow turds and pine cones with it.

anyway, i hope whatever caused that on shibby's wheel happens on mine with my horizontal stairs.

47 minutes ago, CrabChampion said:

No amount of proper torque specs, maintenance or upgraded bracket is going to solve that problem of a weak subpar material axle. The way it crumbled there looks like the axle is just made from cast aluminum rather than a solid cnc piece. The threading that the screws go into is completely ripped out. The failure point is a combination of the axle and bracket. The screws didnt shear off at all it was the axle

Loose screws could also lead to more stress, but if they were loose when he was jumping he should have noticed that.

I think all EUC motors are made from cast I don't think any of them are made by CNC.

2 hours ago, Rawnei said:

I was wondering if it had suffered from galvanic corrosion at some point, but it would need to have got wet and I'm not sure how long or quickly this could occur if at all.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Holly Christ! This is why we can't have nice things.

Edited by joyrider

To be fair I think Shibby just found the limit of how much abuse these wheels can take and no wheel currently on the market will withstand this level of abuse.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

To be fair I think Shibby just found the limit of how much abuse these wheels can take and no wheel currently on the market will withstand this level of abuse.

He could make a fortune riding bulls