Leaperkim Lynx 2700wh: 151V, 20" tire, suspension, 89lb

RagingGrandpa

10 hours ago, novazeus said:

The first 20-ish seconds of the video reminds me, it's the angle cutoff getting any lower with the Lynx? I know we got 35° when the Patton came out (even the SS got it), but considering it was previously 45°, and that I swear I've seen Masters go as low as 15° (correct me if I'm wrong), I feel like the Lynx should have an even lower limit for off-road riders.

10 hours ago, techyiam said:

The design has been substantially improved. 

Timestamped.

Strange; they've put a ledge in, as i suggested, but it is angled down toward the front? Bolts are still held in aluminium; it all looks the same except for the ledge. I imagine there must be a reason they could not have it horizontal. 

Thanks techiam for the find - it is an improvement.

Great video and review - I ended up watching most of it. 

Edited by Uras

1 hour ago, Duster said:

The first 20-ish seconds of the video reminds me, it's the angle cutoff getting any lower with the Lynx? I know we got 35° when the Patton came out (even the SS got it), but considering it was previously 45°, and that I swear I've seen Masters go as low as 15° (correct me if I'm wrong), I feel like the Lynx should have an even lower limit for off-road riders.

It's the other way around, higher angle means you can lean it lower, if it was 15 that means it would cut the motor from leaning the wheel just a tiny bit, no wheel will let you set 15.

LeaperKim wheels have a pretty wide range that you can set, default is 45, not sure what the highest is (70-75? which is quite high).

You don't want to keep it at too high because it can be dangerous.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

It's the other way around, higher angle means you can lean it lower, if it was 15 that means it would cut the motor from leaning the wheel just a tiny bit, no wheel will let you set 15.

LeaperKim wheels have a pretty wide range that you can set, default is 45, not sure what the highest is (70-75? which is quite high).

You don't want to keep it at too high because it can be dangerous.

Oh..... Just went to change my settings. I mistakenly set mine to 35°!

You've saved my thighs from being erased!

Btw, the max on the Sherman S is 70, which is right before the pedal hangers scrape the ground (and that's when I'm NOT on the wheel and loading down the suspension).

So, I guess I retract my statement regarding cutoff angle. The Lynx should be good to go in that regard!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uras said:

Strange; they've put a ledge in, as i suggested, but it is angled down toward the front? Bolts are still held in aluminium; it all looks the same except for the ledge. I imagine there must be a reason they could not have it horizontal. 

Thanks techiam for the find - it is an improvement.

Great video and review - I ended up watching most of it. 

I think they put it diagonally because of the motor wires and the screw holes? The orientation of the holes is the same as on the SS (that "+" orientation) , so they seem to want to keep it the same, hence the angle.

Begode has their screw holes in an "X" orientation, so they'd probably do the ledge horizontally.

2 hours ago, Duster said:

Oh..... Just went to change my settings. I mistakenly set mine to 35°!

You've saved my thighs from being erased!

Btw, the max on the Sherman S is 70, which is right before the pedal hangers scrape the ground (and that's when I'm NOT on the wheel and loading down the suspension).

So, I guess I retract my statement regarding cutoff angle. The Lynx should be good to go in that regard!

My recommendation is to keep it at max 50-55 for normal riding, not higher, if you do something that requires higher angle like riding berms on a MTB track or something then increase it by all means, just be careful, having a high angle can lead to some unpredictable and dangerous behaviour where motor will spin up in situations where you don't want it to.

4 hours ago, Rawnei said:

My recommendation is to keep it at max 50-55 for normal riding, not higher, if you do something that requires higher angle like riding berms on a MTB track or something then increase it by all means, just be careful, having a high angle can lead to some unpredictable and dangerous behaviour where motor will spin up in situations where you don't want it to.

I think I had set it to 55 when I saw how low it could go. I once had the SS tip when I was walking across a street and pushing it from the back handle (had to dismount since a car almost hit me), and it started spinning me around, wheel burning rubber at max speed. I could reach the front handle to control it, so I could only get it to stop by letting it drop on its side and activate the tilt sensor.

That worked since it was in flat ground and was at the stock setting (45), but if I had it set to 70 and was on a steep hill it could've ended differently.

Speaking of which, are many people concerned with the stroller handle not being centered? I have valued the SS's wonky trolley handle simply for the fact that it's centered, after my incident above. It should be fine, as long as you're cautious around tight turns when trolleying.

4 hours ago, Duster said:

Speaking of which, are many people concerned with the stroller handle not being centered?

I ride an S22 with a front handle, but I push it backwards. Already used to it.

On 11/30/2023 at 5:45 PM, Uras said:

I believe you're talking about feel and the amount of effort from you (the rider) to get the wheel to respond. For example I imagine torque to the ground isn't affected (climbing etc). The higher up your feet are the greater the distance you have to tilt the wheel. Consider that the pivot point for the wheel is where the center of the wheel through the tire hits the ground. The further away you get from that point the greater distance you have to tilt the wheel.

Something like that. I should've spelled out how it helps.

Yes, the leverage is better when climbing hills. So easier to get 'er moving, rather than an increase in actual torque.

Also, lower COG allows further/easier lean.
===========

Re: your statement "the higher up your feet are..."

Is there applicable force diagram for EUC tilt/pedal height/controller response available somewhere? Because the situation seems more complex than that statement. it definitely doesn't seem to apply in my situation? 

Also, is this getting too far into the weeds? This is an interesting discussion if it needs to be had elsewhere?

:D

Edited by UPONIT

The Leaperkim Lynx looks to now have a fourth spring weight option of 58lbs:

407087599_24213302651648788_877447506789

Listed on Ali Express by this seller and also mentioned in their short video for reference:

https://tinyurl.com/LeaperKim-Lynx-151V-2700Wh

20 minutes ago, fbhb said:

The Leaperkim Lynx looks to now have a fourth spring weight option of 58lbs:

407087599_24213302651648788_877447506789

Listed on Ali Express by this seller and also mentioned in their short video for reference:

https://tinyurl.com/LeaperKim-Lynx-151V-2700Wh

We aren't getting any in this weight in Aus. I heard it's because it's so soft.

43 minutes ago, techyiam said:

I hope that the 58 lbs version makes it to our shore. I like cushy for strictly city street riding.

62lb would be plenty cushy.

3 minutes ago, techyiam said:

I guess it depends on one's body weight and one's preference. 

Yes and no, if it's too light and sags too much then you won't get enough travel and it might end feeling harsh instead.

4 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

Yes and no, if it's too light and sags too much then you won't get enough travel and it might end feeling harsh instead.

That is altogether a different thing.

You are now bringing in other factors such insufficient travel, or too much sag, which is outside the scope of what I was talking about.

I was talking about the choice of suspension stiffness, and specifically involving adding the 58 lbs dual-rate spring option in the Lynx.

I have briefly ridden a 58 lbs Patton, and a Lynx. And the Lynx has dual-rate springs. I don't see a problem here, especially for rider who are lighter than me, and doing the type of riding that I do.

No question that correct sizing is important, and that is why bring in a 58 lbs spring option would be good.

1 minute ago, techyiam said:

That is altogether a different thing.

You are now bringing in other factors such insufficient travel, or too much sag, which is outside the scope of what I was talking about.

I was talking about the choice of suspension stiffness, and specifically involving adding the 58 lbs dual-rate spring option in the Lynx.

I have briefly ridden a 58 lbs Patton, and a Lynx. And the Lynx has dual-rate springs. I don't see a problem here, especially for rider who are lighter than me, and doing the type of riding that I do.

No question that correct sizing is important, and that is why bring in a 58 lbs spring option would be good.

Alrighty then, don't listen to my advice, do whatever you want.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rawnei said:

Alrighty then, don't listen to my advice, do whatever you want.

No worries. I would definitely ride one before purchasing.

Now that I have discovered super cushy for my type of street riding, I would try very hard not to lose it, if I can help it in my next wheel.

For me anyways, the super plush suspension option really changed the way how the S22 appeals to me. It is huge.

I don't find the S22 much better than my V12 nor my Abrams. It's a good wheel, but enough by itself for me. But after put in the Hou Ningning roller sliders, and make sure the bearings of the rollers in the sliders, and the pin joints of the linkage and shock mounts are absolutely free to rotate, and a 300 lbs spring, full suspension travel without preload, then the S22 is transformed into a wheel that is much much more than the sum of its parts.

If I can get this in a Veteran suspension wheel, then I would be in heaven since I don't need to endlessly maintain the suspension bits while riding in the winter months.

15 minutes ago, techyiam said:

If I can get this in a Veteran suspension wheel, then I would be in heaven since I don't need to endlessly maintain the suspension bits while riding in the winter months.

Not sure what your weight is, but I’m about 165lbs with gear and I have the 62lb spring in my SS. You mentioned before that you’re not a long range rider so I guessing the lynx or patton are on your radar. If you’re close to my weight the 62lb spring is great in the patton and Sherman. Very plush for city riding. I’m sure the lynx will be similar. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hellkitten said:

Not sure what your weight is, but I’m about 165lbs with gear and I have the 62lb spring in my SS. You mentioned before that you’re not a long range rider so I guessing the lynx or patton are on your radar. If you’re close to my weight the 62lb spring is great in the patton and Sherman. Very plush for city riding. I’m sure the lynx will be similar. 

Thanks. Good to know. I don't think I weigh much less than you.

The Lynx has the dual-rate spring, so it should have a lesser tendency to bottom out. That is why I think the 58 lbs may work.

For my type of riding, I noticed that I only really get close to bottoming out is when I ride at a good pace over large speed bumps. But if I bend my knees, the tendency is less. And I can also do a little active suspension action with my legs, like what a skier would do, this helps even more.

I don't do curbs, stairs, jumps, nor drops. There are very few things that would cause my wheel to bottom out for where and how I ride.

I have to say the Patton does feel plush, and the Lynx felt a tad more refined.

The stiction does feel really low. This part is impressive.

It would be cool to compare them to my S22. I may do that later on come spring.

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

Thanks. Good to know. I don't think I weigh much less than you.

I’m 155lbs no gear or boots. So the 165lbs is on the high end depending on time of year and gear. 👍

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

don't do curbs, stairs, jumps, nor drops. There are very few things that would cause my wheel to bottom out for where and how I ride.

I do a fair bit of minor urban jumping and drops. I drop cubs on almost every ride. I’ll do smallish stairs, loads of speed bumps at a good clip. The highest drop if done on my SS is probably 3-3.5 feet. I don’t think I’ve ever bottomed it out. I do “deweight” a bit so my wheel isn’t taking all of the force. 

Can’t speak for the duel-rate spring, but it seems like the right direction. 

• Like 1