Are serious injuries rare with eu's?

trx123

My first fall on my generic wheel was when I over pushed going up a hill......I was not going fast, so no injuries. I fell again last weekend.......enjoying the view I missed seeing a large pothole and ended up trying to run faster than I actually can, and then turned and executed a backwards roll......no injuries again!

The new wheel is on its way.....a Kingsong KS16......which will be capable of a lot more speed......but I may well set it up on the app so that I don't achieve all of that extra speed unless I have all the safety gear on. When you run your own business you can't afford injury time off!

• 2 weeks later...

I was riding my 18 MSuper on a commute basis and never ever had a shutdown. Got a generic X3 because of its lighter weight. This generic X3 had on my second ride all of a sudden a BMS shut down without any warning.

The result is shown below. I am still recovering, 4 months after the accident and I will be on crutches for another 1-2 months!

Drive careful, and always wear proper protection. Never ever trust your EU if it comes to sudden shut downs.Copy of 2015_12_02-02.jpg

29 minutes ago, Geowurm said:

I was riding my 18 MSuper on a commute basis and never ever had a shutdown. Got a generic X3 because of its lighter weight. This generic X3 had on my second ride all of a sudden a BMS shut down without any warning.

The result is shown below. I am still recovering, 4 months after the accident and I will be on crutches for another 1-2 months!

Drive careful, and always wear proper protection. Never ever trust your EU if it comes to sudden shut downs.Copy of 2015_12_02-02.jpg

Avoid cheap EUs, they're not worth the price cut you've over a premium brand. And the so called premium brands are not really premium. There's so much left to improve. But they're much saver than the generics.

i wish you a good recovery.

Yikes, that looks nasty. Wish you all the best for a fast and complete recovery, @Geowurm!!!

What happened to you makes me worry a bit about my Mten. That one got rather sharp edged pedals, too. And with it's tiny 10" wheel it doesn't even need to cut out - a small pothole is all it takes to end my balance. I guess, I have to think of something to diffuse those axe like pedals or wear high boots. I am sorry you have to suffer so miserably to make us aware...:(

• 2 weeks later...

Not had a major fall since my first week of learning.  Still using my original slow wheel.  Although can't go faster than 20kph, not had a major fall as I can generally run off my EU at these speeds.  Probably about to change as I may be upgrading to MSuper or ACM later this month.

However some injuries this year from my usual riding group to mention are... At least 3 (Two guys and girl) have faceplanted so cuts and bruises to hands forearms and knees. One guy fell and fractured a bone, two months and still in recovery.  Last week a girl fell due to out leaning EU on low battery.  Smacked her head on the ground and was unconscious until she got to hospital and suffered 3 hours of memory loss.  All pretty bad injuries.  The thing is they all used to wear protective gear.  Am I saying they would have all avoided injury if they still used them?  Who knows but I think they stopped due to being too over confident.

I wonder if electric skateboards or skateboard unicycle hybrids would be any safer than EUCs. My MCM3 is arriving tomorrow, and after reading all of these horror stories and seeing the graphic x-rays, I'm little bit more nervous about jumping on the thing. I will probably be alright, but I should remain careful.

I fractured my wrist once already simply as a result of tripping on cracked cement on the downward slope of our driveway when I was on the way to school. I tried to arrest the fall with my hands and wrists, which in hide sight seems like a very bad idea.

33 minutes ago, WakefulTraveller said:

I wonder if electric skateboards or skateboard unicycle hybrids would be any safer than EUCs. My MCM3 is arriving tomorrow, and after reading all of these horror stories and seeing the graphic x-rays, I'm little bit more nervous about jumping on the thing. I will probably be alright, but I should remain careful.

I fractured my wrist once already simply as a result of tripping on cracked cement on the downward slope of our driveway when I was on the way to school. I tried to arrest the fall with my hands and wrists, which in hide sight seems like a very bad idea.

First thing to have before you ride is a pair of good quality wrist guards, a pair of elbow and knee pads and a helmet if you have one. The MCM3 is a reliable machine and should give you very long safe journeys.

when a skate shut off, it will just become a normal skate so it is OK but some just stop which is like tripping... but skaters are more used to fall (smaller wheels also) so I would say they don't hurt themselves more than unicyclist unless they are going faster (40-50km/h for example...) 

I broke my hand once wearing wrist protection on rollerblades, as far as I am concerned I would try to keep them of the ground as long as it is possible, even while falling

Archived