Florida law

Makoben

Title XXIII
MOTOR VEHICLES
Chapter 316 
STATE UNIFORM TRAFFIC CONTROL
View Entire Chapter
316.2068Electric personal assistive mobility devices; regulations.
(1) An electric personal assistive mobility device, as defined in s. 316.003, may be operated:
(a) On a road or street where the posted speed limit is 25 miles per hour or less.
(b) On a marked bicycle path.
(c) On any street or road where bicycles are permitted.
(d) At an intersection, to cross a road or street even if the road or street has a posted speed limit of more than 25 miles per hour.
(e) On a sidewalk, if the person operating the device yields the right-of-way to pedestrians and gives an audible signal before overtaking and passing a pedestrian.
(2) A valid driver license is not a prerequisite to operating an electric personal assistive mobility device.
(3) Electric personal assistive mobility devices need not be registered and insured in accordance with s. 320.02.
(4) A person who is under the age of 16 years may not operate, ride, or otherwise be propelled on an electric personal assistive mobility device unless the person wears a bicycle helmet that is properly fitted, that is fastened securely upon his or her head by a strap, and that meets the standards of the American National Standards Institute (ANSI Z Bicycle Helmet Standards), the standards of the Snell Memorial Foundation (1984 Standard for Protective Headgear for Use in Bicycling), or any other nationally recognized standards for bicycle helmets which are adopted by the department.
(5) A county or municipality may regulate the operation of electric personal assistive mobility devices on any road, street, sidewalk, or bicycle path under its jurisdiction if the governing body of the county or municipality determines that regulation is necessary in the interest of safety.
(6) The Department of Transportation may prohibit the operation of electric personal assistive mobility devices on any road under its jurisdiction if it determines that such a prohibition is necessary in the interest of safety.
History.s. 68, ch. 2002-20; s. 18, ch. 2012-174.

I thought I would look up the Florida law on Electric Unicycles and this seems to cover it. I am sure this is a result of the Segway tour operators, and we should thank them for it. It seems to be a pretty reasonable set of regulations. I wanted to ride a trail that was marked no motor vehicles. I went looking for a motor vehicle definition that would fit an electric unicycle and I found this set of regulations and I think I am good to go anywhere a bike goes.

Fellow EU'ers might want to use this as a pattern for drafting laws for their own countries, states and cities.

Mike

All of that sounds great for any EPAM. Similar laws exist for the majority of other States. However, you are right that it was written just for Segways since they describe EPAMs as a 2-wheel non-tandem self balancing device. Same definition exist in Texas. I plan on talking to my Senator/Representative to hopefully change these laws so its clear that EUCs fit this definition. 

Yes, make sure you look in the definition section of the law. As Michael Vu  states for Texas, Arizona also defines them as a two wheeled devices. I've asked my legislator to address this in the law and take out the 2-wheel part to address electric unicycles. We'll see.

ELECTRIC PERSONAL ASSISTIVE MOBILITY DEVICE.Any self-balancing, two-nontandem-wheeled device, designed to transport only one person, with an electric propulsion system with average power of 750 watts (1 horsepower), the maximum speed of which, on a paved level surface when powered solely by such a propulsion system while being ridden by an operator who weighs 170 pounds, is less than 20 miles per hour. Electric personal assistive mobility devices are not vehicles as defined in this section.

Michael, you are right. Here is the Florida law. Definitely two wheels. If I get stopped, I will just show them the first part.

Mike

Nearly all the US state EPAMD laws were enacted in the early 2000s with lobbying from Segway, which is why they sound so similar. The District of Columbia has a slightly different definition that already includes electric unicycles, see http://dccode.org/simple/sections/50-2201.02.html . Not really sure why they used the term PMD or worded it this way but it seems to have been enacted in 2006: http://www.openlims.org/public/L16-224.pdf . I'd like to see the states amend their definitions this way so EUCs would be clearly covered.

(13) "Personal mobility device" or "PMD" means a motorized propulsion device designed to transport one person or a self-balancing, two non-tandem wheeled device, designed to transport only one person with an electric propulsion system, but does not include a battery-operated wheelchair.

Archived