1st Full Speed Crash on V11

Yeah I would have hopped the curb, but it was a 50mph road, and figured ducking was safer... Boy was I wrong lol. I'm saving up my pennies to get a seat, and then learning to ride seated is my next priority. Apparently keeping even pressure on the feet as you duck is super important haha. That's one thing I really enjoy about EUC's is that everything you want to do on them requires expanding your skillset, and growing in your ability overall.

Normally I don't open it up on the sidewalk, but this is a 10 mile stretch of straight sidewalk that connects my suburb to the neighboring city. There's never any foot traffic on it. The only other person I've ever seen on it in the years living here was a single cyclist out for some exercise on a long run.

Edited by skunkmonkey
  • Like 3

Sorry you crashed. Glad your gear mostly did its job. I often wear elbow pads under my motorcycle jacket that already has D30 pads built in. Maybe it’s worth cutting that branch off to save you and others from the same fate. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hellkitten said:

Sorry you crashed. Glad your gear mostly did its job. I often wear elbow pads under my motorcycle jacket that already has D30 pads built in. Maybe it’s worth cutting that branch off to save you and others from the same fate

Thanks. Yep, that is tomorrow's task for sure. There's also another tree that's starting to sprout along the sidewalk there that I think I'll remove as well. That's not a bad idea with the arm pads under the jacket. I may have to give that a shot. The motorcycle jacket pads are pretty flimsy, so I'm guessing they just slid out of the way in the crash. The took the brunt of the impact, but I did pick up a little road rash. I can't imagine how chewed up I'd be if I had not been wearing gear. My wife was on her scooter behind me, so she got to enjoy the show. It freaked her out a bit.

I'm happy you came through mostly unscathed. When riding at night, I'm fearful of being ripped or knocked off the wheel by undetected low-hanging branches or vines. (There is also a temptation to high-five or brush hands against leaves that jut out, which I tell myself to ignore in case something should snag in the process.)

What is your motorcycle jacket made from, specifically the part where you got the rash? Did the material fail? Also, does it have arm snaps to keep the elbow protectors in place?

I'm considering getting a motorcycle jacket for the easy on/off convenience and since you can wear a normal shirt under one. Thus far I've been wearing Leatt body armor and it seems great for protection. But I've found the downsides are that any shirt you wear under it has to be either a tight fitting base layer or tolerant of being bunched up / wrinkled, or you wear the armor directly on skin which entails more frequent washing of the armor shirt and having to go shirtless momentarily when changing in/out of the armor, which requires privacy if commuting to work (depending on one's work environment).

• Like 1

The jacket is made of a course heavy duty fabric 'Polyester 600D Cordura Jacket Fabric."

The material itself held up great. It didn't even get scuffed. It just picked up a little dirt.

I'll have to check to see if the jacket has snaps or not. I'll let you know when I get home. I like the jacket pretty well if I can secure the pads. It has a removable liner, and several zipper vents to cool you down, so it's only hot to wear if you aren't moving for a long time  the lettering and design are reflective. There are soft pads on the arms, shoulders, and back.

Yeah it seems like most easy to wear gear is prone to pad movement. Check and see if your pads are the D30. It’s supposed to be flexible while in regular use and stiffen up upon impact. It won’t slide through. My elbow pads have the D30 over the whole area and plastic sliding areas over the actual elbow. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hellkitten said:

Maybe it’s worth cutting that branch off to save you and others from the same fate. 

If you can do it, well worth the effort. All through Summer I carry secateurs in my backpack to deal with the pesky overgrowth...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, mtl said:

Also, does it have arm snaps to keep the elbow protectors in place?

I didn't notice before, but yes there is a velcro strap above the pad that you can tighten to keep it from sliding up, and there's a snap button at the bottom of the pad where you can tighten to keep it from sliding down.
Here's the jacket I have if you are interested. I can't fully recommend it yet until I get into another crash and verify that the pads do their job better next time, but otherwise it seems a decent budget jacket.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XZ1N3CQ?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

1 hour ago, Hellkitten said:

Check and see if your pads are the D30

The website doesn't mention D30. It just says CE 1 armor. It's removable, so you can upgrade to CE 2, but I don't think it's D30. If it the straps / snaps don't work with my next crash again then I'll probably buy some dedicated elbow pads to wear under the jacket. After thinking about it some more, and considering the course texture of the fabric (without the liner inside it, since I had removed it due to heat) I'm wondering if maybe the pads actually did work fine, and my arm just has a friction burn from the fabric sliding against it. Impact wise the pad seemed to do fine. I'm not bruised.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I was wearing a leather motorcycling jacket with shoulder, back and elbow protectors. At a low speed spill whilst learning seated riding my elbow was graved despite the protection. I think at the elbow it slides a bit and loses covereage. Going to get some Fox Titan Pro D30 elbow guards as they seem to stay in place. Hopefully can wear under the jacket as not too bulky.

36 minutes ago, Stevebee said:

Hopefully can wear under the jacket as not too bulky.

There should be no way you can fit additional pads under an MC jacket. If you can, the jackets too big which is presumably why they moved in the first place. Many MC jackets do have adjustable straps near the bicep area to give a little reduction on sizing but ideally you shouldn't have to use them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2023 at 12:19 AM, skunkmonkey said:

Well I had my first full speed crash on my V11. Fortunately I was wearing full gear. There was a branch hanging super low blocking the entire sidewalk, so I had to duck down super low (if I had been seated I would have still had to duck very low). I haven't learned how to ride seated yet, so I didn't have the practice needed to avoid wobbles, and I ended up going down hard. Thanks go my gear I was able to get right back up and continue on. The V11 held together pretty good as well, just a few scuffs. I wasn't too impressed with my motorcycle jacket's performance during the crash. My elbow picked up some road rash even though the pads should have covered that spot, so I may be looking for a different jacket. The rest of the gear held up like a champ.

knee.jpg

Sorry to hear you’ve crashed, I can imagine the situation where you need get decisions in seconds.

Hopefully you’re alright.

The reason I’m writing is the Leatt knee/shin protectors on your photo…

Im considering to buy, but I’m still in doubt whether they’re comfy to ride, and most importantly the size…

I’m struggling to choose between S or L ~ could you advice please?

I'm more towards L ~ to have them covering more of the exposed shin area, at same time I’m worry if the knee wouldn’t be just too broad around the knee in comparison to the S size?

Can you share your thoughts please?

Thanks in advance.

Art.