My first BUTT fall. I'm officially a PRO now!

Planetpapi

Yesterday I was riding Tg_F3 to parking lot from work..about half a mile total flat surface, business as usual. I don't know what I did at around 4 mph, the wheel shot off under my feet like a speeding bullet landing me on my butt, all within a second. No one was around as far as I can see, so my ego was intact. No damage to my body really but I couldn't mount the wheel right away because my legs didn't cooperate. I was carrying my iPad in one hand and now it has a beautifully and artfully cracked screen.

What's impressive was the "speed" of the this otherwise lowly lethargic wheel at that moment. It was like it had a 2000 watt motor. Man it was like a bullet. Trying to recollect why it happened, it was due to my posture adjustment while riding with my dress shoes. I felt a quick jerk back and forth for about half a second and the next thing I noticed my butt was kissing ground. All topics in this forum came to mind in a flash, like battery is not releasing enough power to the motor, voltage drop etc etc. I think it's one of those 2 things. But I experienced it first hand! I don't want to fall in front of my colleagues so I'm gonna ride it somewhere before I continue to showoff. May be it's time to buy a brand name wheel.

Glad you didn't get hurt! I've yet to fall on my butt, hope I won't break my tailbone. ;)  I'd expect that with voltage drop, low battery or too low current the wheel would just slow down or shutdown, not shoot from under you... So was it just due to posture adjustment or did the wheel malfunction? I've had the wheel shoot off fast a few times unexpected (without falling), but that's happened only when I've been practicing changing direction (riding forwards, then changing backwards, then back to forwards), as I've used my ankles to tilt the wheel more to get the direction change to happen quicker and went a bit overboard with the tilting.

The more I think about it the more I get confused. Was it posture adjustment or wheel malfunction or was it malfunction that makes me adjust my posture?Donno. But tend to think it's malfunction because another milder "jerk" movement happened couple of minutes before the epic fall. I used to have a thin clothes line connecting the wheel to my waist belt. 2 days ago I decided to ditch it because I felt I'm not a newbie anymore. With that attachment I wouldn't have known the nature of this shooting speed. Glad it didn't hit any parked cars. That would have been a quite dent for the car. Hmm.

The same happened to me. I was on the way home & watching my speed on the app. Then I noticed the voltage was flashing from full green, to half green, to orange & back again. Less than 5 minutes later, the wheel went flying from under me & I bashed my elbow off the floor.

20150525_221227.jpg

Screenshot_2015-05-25-19-31-46.png

20150525_221208.jpg

I thought I had cancelled the upload of the picture of my app, as it's there though, I may as well point out that I get my first warning beep at about 31kph & that quickly changes to a continuous sounding beep by about 33/34kph. I requested that my beeps be set to 35, 37 & 39 so have the factory set them lower or does my 90kg weight mean that the motor can't power me as fast?

That's nothing compared to my ribs, knees & shins lol. I am going slower & taking my time now as I have had too many dives & am suffering. My rib is probably cracked & clicks when I cough plus I appear to have something floating'around in my elbow.

I am starting to feel more natural on it now but am wary of letting the battery lose a light now.

Speed is the friendly enemy!
You need an element of speed to be able to balance.  In the learning stages, you need more speed.  As you get more experience, you crave the speed which is available to you.  Bumps in the ground don't appreciate your speed!

SLOW DOWN!!

• 4 weeks later...

There's got to be a way to have the wheel shut down before these random quirks happen. If it's some kind of voltage drop, maybe a more advanced battery management system would address the issue? This is a safety problem and will turn people off when considering the technology. I don't know if my lady is gonna get back on the thing :(

Archived