Firewheel F260 Rebuild

dmethvin

Recapping, my Firewheel died after two days because the control board failed. I waited a few weeks for a new rev of the board from the manufacturer, which has a slightly different design. Here's a photo album of my work to get it running and make sure it doesn't get filled with water and mud.

http://imgur.com/a/EMqiB  (Part 1)

After completing all this work, I had a problem where I would ride for just a few minutes and the wheel would start to shake and say "Please restart". They are sending a new battery so I have to break it open, put in the new battery, and reseal everything.

http://imgur.com/a/6LagM (Part 2)

UPDATE: I added a bunch of new photos in Part 2. New battery is in place but arrived at only 35%. I have to charge it and let the silicone dry overnight.

I agree the build quality is horrible, but still when it works it is SO amazing to ride. Plus the thing just looks really nice compared to the average wheel. I have a little 14-inch wheel but when I had the Firewheel working for a short time yesterday it was just so awesome. It's like having a Ferrari i guess, great to drive but very temperamental and needs constant maintenance.

Aww, that really sucks... hope you get the new battery soon. If it weren't for these kinds of problems, I'd probably get a Firewheel with big battery instead of a Ninebot One.

Actually a

I agree the build quality is horrible, but still when it works it is SO amazing to ride. Plus the thing just looks really nice compared to the average wheel. I have a little 14-inch wheel but when I had the Firewheel working for a short time yesterday it was just so awesome. It's like having a Ferrari i guess, great to drive but very temperamental and needs constant maintenance.

​Actually a Porsche. Compare the logo and font on the Firewheel with what Porsche has. Very similar. :lol:

Another great post by You and nice Pictures. So You actually could have a glove-department or a mini-bar in side the Wheel, huh?

I just updated the original post above with a new set of photos showing the battery update. At this point it's all new inside! They sent the controller and display board the first time, and the battery pack the second time.

I told them I didn't mind doing the work myself if they were okay with it. Shipping the whole thing back would cost a lot. Plus, I wouldn't have known about the problems with sealing the compartments if I didn't open it and see what was going on. So really, I should have the best Firewheel ever made at this point. Or at perhaps I should say "least sucky Firewheel ever made" until I get a chance to test it.

The only thing I didn't do was the BMS cutoff mod that hobby16 recommends, but I didn't want to void the warranty. If I do decide to make that change I know right where to go now, and I would also put in an inline fuse for last-ditch protection of the battery.

Update after a couple of long test drives today. Seems like the wheel is working fine now and I have my fingers crossed it will stay that way!

It seems like the motor whine may be a little louder than it was with the older control board, but still quieter than my 14-inch wheel. As long as it keeps rolling I'm a happy guy.

Hey guys! Does anyone of you know how to get rid of the speed control on a Ninebot One or any other electric unicycle? Or how to increase the speed limit or such and such? I am kind of fed up with the 20km/h speed limit, too slow for me now. Cheers

Aww, that really sucks... hope you get the new battery soon. If it weren't for these kinds of problems, I'd probably get a Firewheel with big battery instead of a Ninebot One.

​Ninebot One is very reliable, awesome to ride and the range is good too. I won't buy a Firewheel just because of the bigger battery as there will be upgrades for this one too soon and you can always replace a battery but not a whole design, plus the mobile app is an amazing thing to. When I had that issue it was all my fault actually I realised that later on. xD

Anyway, enjoy your ride on whatever wheel you having guys! ;)

Easy Ridaaaaa! xDDD :DB)

The only thing I didn't do was the BMC cutoff mod that hobby16 recommends, but I didn't want to void the warranty. If I do decide to make that change I know right where to go now, and I would also put in an inline fuse for last-ditch protection of the battery.

​Hi dmethvin,

I have just updated the BMS mod for vee in his post "I plan to test...". Beware not to go too low with the battery, that's when the cutoff happens. It's a bit harder now to reproduce it since the weather is hotter, but you can reproduce it if the battery is enough empty (go down nearly to 0 on the display then stop riding, hold to something and go back and forth with strong acceleration for 5, 10 minutes until the cutout occurs). It can happen too, unexpectedly of course, when going up slopes too fast, so beware, a French user had a broken shoulder because of that.

If you don't want to mod now,  don't forget to do it when cold seasons arrive because a FW with non shunted BMS is dangerous, very dangerous !

Otherwise, you confirm what all other FW users say : the Firewheel rocks... when it rolls. Now when I ride my X3 clones, I find them outright dangerous compared to the FW (not even talk about their lack of comfort).

Did you know the design of the Firewheel was actually stolen from a famous Australian Designer who is in the process of releasing his own Wheel. It's going to an exceptionally good piece of kit. The specifications on the site are provisional, the final production version will probably be slightly better. On the aesthetics front, it could make the Ninebot look cheap & mass produced by comparison. 

http://www.monoelectricwheel.com/ 

MonoWheel.jpg

Guess who's joining the Firewheel-club? I just bought vee73's old F260 today (bms shunted, new shells, inside caulked, don't know what gen it is, but apparently works just fine), he's shipping it to me tomorrow, so with any luck I'll be getting it on tuesday, or wednesday at latest  :)

Hey, wellcome to the club, esaj !

I'm sure you will find the FW fantastic. Now it's secured by vee, you'll be much safer on it, even at high speed than, than on the 14" generic. I have hit the ground several times with my X3 clone but never with the FW, except once because of the (not yet shunted) BMS cutoff, to say about the FW stability and performance !

I have a slightly newer FW than yours, maybe the behavior is somewhat different but here is my warning about speed : no pedal tilting, even at 25 km/h (that's why the FW is so confortable to ride). Then at around 30km/h, the FW gives a violent acceleration (that's when you can feel how powerfull it is) to try to tilt the pedals. Remember and be prepared to this because the first time, if you not aware of it, you may be surprised and fall, and at 30km/h, it hurts. Even after months of cruising at 25 km/h everyday, I still find that acceleration frightening without body protections (for everyday commutes, I only wear a helmet).

@Jason McNeil That's interesting! The Mono really is beautiful, I'll be interested in seeing whether this model solves some of the internal issues of the Firewheel.

@esaj I think you will like the F260, as long as it doesn't break. I have no complaints about the way it behaves from a handling standpoint. The ride is so nice!

@hobby16: From what I've heard from vee73, it just shuts down at around 28km/h, so maybe it's different in the older model? I also understood that the mainboard has been replaced once, so hard to tell what gen it really is... Thanks for the warning though! :)  Also, I've always ridden with full-face motorcycle helmet, long knee/elbow-pads and wrist guards, so I'm fairly well protected (not that I'd like to fall even with those ;)).

@@dmethvin: I believe I'll like it also, just hope I'll be riding it more than repairing it  :D   Will do a more in-depth comparison between Ninebot One E and the F260 after I've gotten more riding experience with both (I hope to get the Ninebot One E next week also).

Sorry for the thread hijack, just wanted to share the news, and it was "almost" on-topic  ;)

Did you know the design of the Firewheel was actually stolen from a famous Australian Designer who is in the process of releasing his own Wheel. It's going to an exceptionally good piece of kit. The specifications on the site are provisional, the final production version will probably be slightly better. On the aesthetics front, it could make the Ninebot look cheap & mass produced by comparison. 

http://www.monoelectricwheel.com/ 

MonoWheel.jpg

​Thanks for informing. Is it a 16" Wheel? Looks like it.

No info of batterypacks either but guess it'll be coming up.

Archived