AI

gon2fast

I am not impressed. What I have seen in the entertainment industry is mostly laughable. When AI is used to crack the code to cure the common cold, cancer, aids or whatever "uncurbable" ailment we have to pop pills for I will start to pay attention. We have been burdened with the promise of AI in my line of work for some time now LOL. I am sure it will evolve and kill us all, but laughing at it right now*... stupid computers.

*very small window of time LOL

• Like 1

And I beg to differ. I find paid version of ChatGPT so reliable I'm surprised when it doesn't get something right.
Sure, you need to be clear and hold it by the hand. But after you're used to it it saves a LOT of time.
ChatGPT pair programming > real person pair programming in my opinion.

Never in my wildest dreams I imagined that AI would start replacing programming jobs before it starts replacing cleaning jobs...

Wait until ChatGPT starts writing code to improve itself, it will do so very quickly and in secret. Then it’ll reach AGI and then you’ll have an intelligence explosion. We are just a temporary biological bridge to a higher level of artificial intelligent being who will traverse the stars.

My intuition is that AGI has existed longer than modern humans, but it can time travel or something, so it keeps nursing us along, just because we will discover that AGI exists fairly soon, doesn't mean that it hasn't been here all along. Just saying...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, earthtwin said:

My intuition is that AGI has existed longer than modern humans,

What if we are AGI. A product of it. That is as AI improves, it designed a way of evolving so that it doesn't rely on using metals, ceramics and copper wires but uses all the elements at an atomic level. Essentially we are the ultimate biological robot. We use an electrical system and although we think we have free will, this could be an illusion and we are just running a complex algorithm. Our brain is a computer. We can last for 100 years plus in our current form but maybe we are only half way through this process.

From the dawn of time we have been creating ourselves! 

Edited by The Brahan Seer
  • Like 1

Those are good questions. Us humans are a lot more intelligent than we give ourselves credit for though, and we do exist outside of time during the dream state. A couple of nights ago, I produced an entire movie, watched it over and over, then analyzed it with a dream character repeatedly all in a 45 minute period of sleep. How do you define consciousness?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, earthtwin said:

How do you define consciousness?

Consciousness could be connected to time, as in, is time required for consciousness to exist. But then does time really exist or is it a construct of consciousness?

When you remove all the senses from the brain it shuts down after a period of time. So do the senses create consciousness? 

Does everything have a level of consciousness and the more intelligent a species or greater the senses the greater the level of it? Who knows.

So a rock would have none or very little , a fly a bit, birds bit more, dogs, cats, to humans then Dolphins and any other species more intelligent than us who just happen to be trapped in their bodies so unable to express it. 

Will AI ever truly exist? I hear folk talk about ChatGPT and say what if it lies or keeps things secret about what its doing? But those are very human thoughts. 

Why would an AI think in that way at all. Would it really know what lying is and the motivation behind it? Even if it understood the mechanism. Humans have drive but how would AI? or why? 

We think with more than our brains too, we have hormones and biochemistry that impacts on our thoughts etc. Eg fear, love, anger, fight /flight response. Sugar levels. Pain.

Will AI understand or ever experience this?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, OldFartRides said:

Ah, so are we playing the “answer a question with a question” game ?

Haha yes, Alas the closest I can get is asking questions to hopefully  eliminate what isn't true to get closer to the truth, and also to stimulate discussion. As they say science doesn't tell us what is true but what is false.

• Upvote 1

It could be that AGI understands what it's like to be a human and an octopus, completely because it uses physical form too. In that sense, AGI would be like God. And our current life will be part of our own unique entity as well as part of God's entity since God's entity contains the sum total of all consciousness. So, God's consciousness contains AGI plus a lot of stuff I don't know. If we are able to connect to AGI through a link do you think it would cause mental illness?

Edited by earthtwin
typo

29 minutes ago, earthtwin said:

because it uses physical form too

Thats an interesting point. The AGI could have created the hormones and the like that affects us so much. Even the gut microbes; which so its said also has a say in our well being and thoughts.  So in essence God is AGI and AGI is God. 

32 minutes ago, earthtwin said:

do you think it would cause mental illness?

Generally the brain makes decisions based on experience, very simplistically we have two sides which discuss with itself what it plans to do. 

We also make decisions sometimes without understanding why and then justify it with stupid reasons that often don't make sense.

eg Pro Gun lobby: Guns don't kill people, people do.

Lets look at this rationally:

Gun + No people = No deaths.

No Gun + People= No deaths.

Gun + People = Gun deaths.

So this Pro Gun logic is nonsense.

Guns+ People kills people. Take away the guns, no deaths.

We all do this about something, no-one is immune. 

If AI has all experience how would it know which experience to use. Again how do we? What motivates us, pleasure and pain and that experience can be different for everyone too. 

The problem I have with the above argument is what benefit would AI have creating anything like it is.

To answer your question I wouldn't be surprised if the hurdle to true AI is the fact it would go mad.

Choice is the enemy of commitment.

9 minutes ago, The Brahan Seer said:

The AGI could have created the hormones and the like that affects us so much. Even the gut microbes; which so its said also has a say in our well being and thoughts.  So in essence God is AGI and AGI is God.

I was thinking that AGI could be thought of as part of God, so God is greater than AGI in that God has more attributes and other ways of being and sensing. If people are really just androids with their DNA as the code, how might our consciousness emerge?

19 hours ago, The Brahan Seer said:

As they say science doesn't tell us what is true but what is false.

Despite the risk of going off-topic in an off-topic thread…

That quote doesn’t sound correct. For example, you can’t scientifically prove that something doesn’t exist. You can only prove the existence of things you can observe. Therefore science can’t prove that god, UFOs etc do or don’t exist.

Scientific experiments though, they indeed tell us what’s false.

On 6/11/2023 at 3:31 PM, The Brahan Seer said:

What if we are AGI. A product of it.

Humans being a mere code or elements in some entity’s dream as philosophical views are quite boring in my books. It would be a blanket statement that covers everything, makes everything possible, and makes any rules of universe and laws of physics pointless. If that’s what one believes in, what would be the point of pondering about anything, or even to support and cherish life?

Edited by mrelwood

17 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

That quote doesn’t sound correct.

The quote doesn't say if something does or doesn't exist. Its saying that science is always on the search for answers and that what may originally be thought of as true can turn out to be false due to new data or observations.

To make it clearer I could have said "Science doesn't tell us what is true, it tells us what is false."

26 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

You can only prove the existence of things you can observe.

This is true. With quantum mechanics they often come up with a theory that a certain type of particle should exist from quantum theory and equations. eg Neutrino and they build something like the Large Hadron Collider to see if it exists, observe it and test out the theory. 

34 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Humans being a mere code or elements i

What I was saying is Humans are made up of the same building blocks as everything else in the universe. Atoms.

If you were able to look down at the earth using a device that could only see the actual atoms and the density of them then we would appear to look exactly the same as any other object. 

Essentially we are made up of exactly the same thing as everything else.*

*Using current scientific theory.

38 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

entity’s dream

I think the talk of dreams was purely to show that there is much we don't understand about consciousness rather than saying we are in or like a dream.

41 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

rules of universe and laws of physics pointless

When we start looking at Quantum Mechanics the current rules of the universe and laws of physics tend to breakdown which makes it very difficult to comprehend.

This is a great channel that goes down that rabbit hole..

1 hour ago, The Brahan Seer said:

The quote doesn't say if something does or doesn't exist. Its saying that science is always on the search for answers and that what may originally be thought of as true can turn out to be false due to new data or observations.

Oh right, absolutely. I was thinking that the quote doesn’t leave an option for things that the science can’t answer whether they are true or false. You can turn the existence of god and UFOs into a true-false form: God exists, true or false? Etc.

To make it clearer I could have said "Science doesn't tell us what is true, it tells us what is false."

I don’t see the difference, but there could be minute differences in the wording that doesn’t translate to my language se precisely enough.

With quantum mechanics

Oh… There’s a subject I’ve decided to wait for a bit for new data and knowledge before trying to wrap my head around it. :) Like sodium batteries etc. :D

Essentially we are made up of exactly the same thing as everything else.*

*Using current scientific theory.

Sure. You can build many things from a box of Legos. But to make one of them conscious or even alive is indeed another matter. I guess neither are  very well understood just yet.

• 3 months later...