The Photo Thread

SlowMo

Bob’s new safe place in the touareg. the barricade i made seems to work and i found a place to use the baby poop furniture protection.

my closest walmart has curbside delivery, so i don’t have to be separated from Bob.

20180403_19095220180403_185817

20180402_131658

Edited by novazeus
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Excellent ride photos (per usual) meeps.  

:shock2:  You don't like your Mi A1?  One of the first things I noticed were people saying that the camera wasn't great, but I actually find that it's okay.  Have you tried doing the GCam install thingy?  I haven't bothered since I find the quality good enough for me.  Fingerprint sensor is fast, screen quality is nice, 64 GB for $280 CAD is hard to beat.  Maybe your expectations were a little too high?  Definitely don't buy a Ninebot Z.  :whistling:

Here's some sample photos I just took:

IMG_20180407_131232_HHT.jpg

IMG_20180407_132015.jpg

IMG_20180407_132328.jpg

IMG_20180407_132459.jpg

IMG_20180407_132605.jpg

IMG_20180407_133043.jpg

IMG_20180407_133902.jpg

IMG_20180407_133941.jpg

IMG_20180407_134640.jpg

IMG_20180407_134836.jpg

IMG_20180407_135106.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Looking good! The bunny is still uneaten, I see:efeeec645d:

On the surface, the photos the A1 does are good, but today I was quite disappointed how bad they turned out. Colors, dynamic range, ... - I had a Nexus 5 before (from 2013) which had a mid-range camera for the time, and you could argue it makes better pictures in some regards. Especially colors being closer to reality. Some panoramas of the A1 are blurry. Etc. It's decent for photos, but shows its weaknesses quite soon. Low light is goes downhill really fast, too.

On the way home, I made an hour of video, and it basically looks like Youtube 240p compression. Practically unusable. I set to record at 1920 instead of 4K, maybe that's it?

I know about the thing where you root it for a moment and enable some photo api stuff or whatever, and use the Google Camera for a quality gain. Guess I'll have to do that. Still disappointed, 95% by the video quality.

It's a really nice phone otherwise, and good price, so the bad camera stings extra hard.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1

I think maybe the lack of image stabilization doesn't help.  I haven't tried the video or pan that much.  It's basically a cheap burner :ph34r: phone that I use as a portable media device.  I had a refurb LG G3 phone before, and although it seemed to take pretty good photos the 4K video was too shaky to be useable.  The portrait mode seems to work okay.   Maybe try boosting the saturation setting?  Got auto enhance low light on? 

I just use phones for quick snaps so I don't care too much about photo quality.  I'll have to test the A1 more in the summer outside.  Too bad you don't like the phone.  It just seemed a pretty good deal for the money. 

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I think maybe the lack of image stabilization doesn't help.

Yep, definitely:efef015fe0: All videos were during riding and it was rattling, guess that didn't help.

3 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Too bad you don't like the phone.  It just seemed a pretty good deal for the money. 

I do like it, only the camera is disappointing. It is a really good deal (and phone) for the money! That's why I bought it:efee47c9c8: Alternatives would be more than 3x the price for little practical improvements (except a better camera).#

Just today I wasn't happy with the pictures and video...

• Like 1

Maybe one of the phones listed on this site might be better?  Hard to tell these days which is a reliable review site. 

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/top-12-best-camera-phones-for-photography-2018-23050

I hear good things about the Google Pixel 2.   I haven't really researched it that much. 

• Upvote 1

Thank you! Good article.

It's clear that the $1000 level flagships make better pictures, that's not what I expected. Just a liiiiiittle better would have been nice.

As far as what-you-get/price ratio, I don't think you can beat the A1. And since I have it now (wouldn't know which alternative to get if I hadn't - either the best-of-the-bunch Pixel 2 XL for God knows how much $$$, or the A1 again), I'll use it:efee47c9c8:

You're definitely on to something with the lack of image stabilization. This indeed seems to be what impacts a lot of photos. I bought a small tripod for filming recently, and maybe that helps with photos too (not for putting it down, but it's easier to hold the phone still with it, and it has a small remote trigger).

• Upvote 1

Maybe try turning off auto enchance low light and use HDR in low light? 

https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-a1/how-to/improving-camera-quality-t3709320

For shaky video click the stabilize button for post-processing.  It actually works pretty well. 

• Upvote 1

Thank you again. Here's where I'm currently, same site:efee47c9c8: https://www.xda-developers.com/enable-google-camera-hdr-eis-xiaomi-mi-a1-without-root/

Guess the lack of (optical = actual) stabilization can't be fixed, but at least the dynamic range might improve with this. Which would be good enough for photos, and I guess for serious video I can always get a cheap action cam if I want to do that.

I'll posts results when I have some.

• Like 1

Sometimes there's only so much that you can polish a turd.  :whistling:  You can only improve the camera results a limited amount. 

There's also Open Camera you can try. 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.sourceforge.opencamera

I played with the FullHD and 4K video indoors with medium light, and yeah video just plain sucks.  There's only so much these sub $200 USD cameras can do I think. 

2 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Here's some sample photos I just took:

Your Tesla is in perfect condition.  Not a scratch on the pedals. You do like your Boyardee, bunny, bacon and bread. :)  Hopefully your snow will be gone soon. 

• Like 1

I like alliterative food.  That was actually bunny bacon frying on the cast iron there.  :whistling:  Chef B are for emergency rations if I get snowed in.  Tesla has only seen 50 kms :crying:, and I try to keep it pristine.  :innocent1:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Your Tesla is in perfect condition.  Not a scratch on the pedals.

Not sure if genuine complement or backhanded compliment...:efeebb3acc:

14 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Hopefully your snow will be gone soon. 

That either makes it better or much worse:efeebb3acc:

• Like 2