The Photo Thread

SlowMo

40 minutes ago, Smoother said:

I'm a bit of an amateur genealogist.  I've researched my family back 10 generations.  I've been researching the name Backe as I have come across it before in my research.

The family tree branches quite a bit, with German and English branches and I think some Dutch too.  I'm waiting on a an email reply from a contact and I'll report what I find.

36 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Backe means cheek in German, and I believe Marty has German and Norwegian roots. Might be remembering that wrong.

I'm half German (my Mother) and 1/4 Swedish and 1/4 Norwegian. My grandfather on my Father's side of the family was Norwegian and when he came to the United States (late 19th century) changed his name from Anderson to Backe. Why? No idea. In the early 1920's he was killed by a streetcar in Chicago.

His name was Martin and that's who my parents named me after.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nils said:

Well, in Swedish "backe" translates as "hill". 

Backe Hill ———>Backe Mountain.....close enough;)

• Like 2

I went down this street (in light rain) from the highest point a few days ago on the Monster. It was an exercise in faith in low speed braking.  I was going to go back and make a video but decided against the idea. Here is the Google Street View link of the hill 

https://earth.app.goo.gl/?apn=com.google.earth&ibi=com.google.b612&isi=293622097&ius=googleearth&link=https%3a%2f%2fearth.google.com%2fweb%2f%4042.46870119,-70.91009027,21.49956894a,0d,88.80352542y,139.86536918h,71.92458535t,0r%2fdata%3dCgAiGgoWMmpnUXBfWERGS2pkZ2pwRXVaUlRVQRAC

Steep road in Swampscott

Steep road in Swampscott

Steep hill - Greenwood

The road ends at a T intersection with another road hugging the coastline.

Edited by Bob Eisenman

Guest PogArt Artur
30 minutes ago, stephen said:

My few days in Blackpool with some lovely weather 😊 

Screenshot-20190516-082634-com-android-g
Screenshot-20190516-082548-com-huawei-hi
Screenshot-20190516-082516-com-huawei-hi
IMG-20190515-195248.jpg
IMG-20190515-190538.jpg
IMG-20190515-114632.jpg
Snapshot-0514-50-58-2.jpg
IMG-20190514-124732.jpg
IMG-20190514-124617.jpg

Beautiful weather matching lovely couples :)

20 hours ago, Lefteris said:

Waiting outside my kids school to pick her up. Gonna hand handle thr wheel for 3,5 blocks while it's active. People still think I'm an alien 👾 😂👽

FB_IMG_1557925275645.jpg

I pass a kindergarden on my way shopping. It always bring haapy smile and a reaction from the kids when they see the wheel.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

I pass a kindergarden on my way shopping. It always bring haapy smile and a reaction from the kids when they see the wheel.

Specially if you pass by with the V8 full of leds and colors, you the alien :P 

6 hours ago, Lefteris said:

Specially if you pass by with the V8 full of leds and colors, you the alien :P 

Well I only have my KS18L these days. But BT music do help and a TSG Pass helmet 😁

https://imgur.com/a/hWF6iXJ

Grabbed a few shots at the Regional Airport near me while I was out tonight.  Used to be an old army airfield where some of the B-29's were built.  Even had a fly-by of one of the few remaining operational B-29's last summer, I'll have to dig those shots up sometime as well. Only one original hangar remains, but the skeletons of several others still stand.  I can get more shots of the "walking tour" guide posts another time if anyone has any interest.

Every now and then, out where the planes used to test fire the machine guns you can still find fully jacketed rounds work their way up to the surface from where they were buried.  Not far from my parents house a few miles away still stand the bombing run test hills, I'm told they used to drop bags of flour so the crew could check their accuracy.  As well as some old infantry firing ranges, however we (our construction company) was asked to demo those so that the ground could be farmed as well as used for leased hunting   :cry2:   but it was interesting to unearth that little bit of history.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, tymerTHEcheezGUY said:

they used to drop bags

Microsoft flight simulator (old) has a mission where you fly off of a farmers field and try to hit a floating dock in the middle and of a pond with bags of flour 

About 4:20 in video

https://youtu.be/NHqn2bT1Lys

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sketch said:

Love that 360 shot

Finding clear FAA airspace is tight.

Beverly airport has a 5 mile no fly radius and Boston Logan is about a 10 mile no fly radius. I was flying 300 ft above a hill in Rockport on Monday and a private plane swooped in over (500-1000 ft) me. A little close even when under 400 ft, I was in the middle of making a sphere. A day or so ago a helicopter flew over where I live in FAA free space but was actually very low , maybe 500 ft.

West Beach and air traffic circles

A response about drone flying near the local University elicited the following friendly response:

"We ask that you notify the University Police station by calling (provided tel#) before flying over the campus and comply with all applicable rules and regulations. Additionally, please avoid flying near campus residences (dormitories), classrooms and people and refrain from interfering with vehicular and pedestrian traffic. Thank you for your correspondence and cooperation"

Edited by Bob Eisenman

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

suburban houses right at the rocks/cliffs

President Taft's administration (1909-1913) made Beverly the summer White House. He might have gone riding there in his car along the coast (back then).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Howard_Taft

http://www.beverlyma.gov/residents/summer-white-house/

Residents there seem accepting of the Monster and my riding habits through their town. 😍

Judging from the looks on faces last  summer I'm not sure I'm as welcome at the Tuck's Point gazebo just north.😒 

The red rocks area across from Thacher Island (twin lighthouse) might have been beyond Taft's range.

Edited by Bob Eisenman