Begode Extreme 2400wh: 134V, 16", Suspension, 77lb

Ronin

Local rider has their extreme die on the first ride. 

Looks like the extreme ships with the bugged firmware that the lift button will kill the controller. Same action and symptoms as: https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/34159-begode-ex30-dead-wont-turn-on/

Check your extreme firmware and update it if it's not the latest. 

• Sad 5

On 11/10/2023 at 7:36 AM, fbhb said:

Vince Ramirez aka @Vince.Fab put a hell of a lot of work into designing/manufacturing/sorting out a proper CNC "X" link to correct the sloppy attempt at suspension geometry made by BegodeWay along with some other CNC improvements, ONLY for the motor mounts to self-destruct and completely shear off of the sliders due to poor build strength/construction/weak materials.

He wrote a topic about the big disappointment this has left him with, which is fully understandable after All his hard work designing and manufacturing some incredible upgrades for the Extreme:

https://t.me/mono_man/19290

tl;dr extreme is not made for 120kg heavy offroad riders with half of the wheel being custom parts. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, deanok said:

Can you please share a close-up of the Extreme main board? I’m curious about the MOSFETs Begode put in Extreme and whether they finally fixed long existing design flaws

Curious, which design flaws?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, PurpleRiderUSA said:

Dear Begode Extreme Owners,

Do you recommend this wheel? I'm thinking about upgrading to the Begode Extreme.

Thanks

Great question.

Unfortunately in Australia we only have a few good dealers. Our main one dealer has come to the conclusion that they'll only be ordering in begode on request (for inividuals, not to keep in stock). Their reasoning is that begode keeps coming out with too many new wheels but don't keep up the support for existing wheels.

Edited by Uras
  • Upvote 3

On 11/12/2023 at 3:30 PM, ORDO NOVUS said:

tl;dr extreme is not made for 120kg heavy offroad riders with half of the wheel being custom parts. 

I was about to post this but seeing you already did, thanks. 

With all due respect, there is a weight limit for wheels when it comes to hardcore trail riding.... Complaining that things break at 260lbs is not reasonable. 

Edited by Ronin Ryder

- use of JMSH1507A in parallel (they’ve got substantial variance of Vgs(th) and Rdson within even a single batch from the factory), inadequate max voltage safety margin,… 

- sandwiched construction and location of mpu6500 (chunk of rubber between boards is a workaround for that, but causes the top boards to bend -> increased chance of top board components falling off:D )

- brass standoffs between two boards falling off the bottom board :)

- some clearances on the power board are too small-> increased chance of short circuit/damaging the fets

- non isolated dcdc  

- hot charging ports

… should i continue? :D

so is there anybody who has access to the new extreme + can share a main board close-ups? 

Edited by deanok

3 minutes ago, Vince.Fab said:

I definitely pushed the wheel past what most people will ever do.   Finding the next weak link after fixing the suspension was inevitable. 

I've already addressed the design issues from Begode and with the fix,  also increased the suspension travel at the same time.   Use of better materials and very small changes drastically increases the strength of the stanchions.  These are already in production by Hou and will be available very soon.  

With all due respect,  we as a community should be asking for better engineering than this.

image000000(1).jpg

I agree, some insane victim blaming going for obviously poor design choices.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vince.Fab said:

[standard Extreme motor mount]

image000000(1).jpg

And the cable-side mount is even worse!!

I'd ask if you could section it through the upper motor screw holes, to reveal that spot of minimum cross-section...
but I think you already did :lol:

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/34554-begode-extreme-review-off-road-thrills-durability-insights/

On 11/9/2023 at 10:49 PM, Vince.Fab said:
20231107_174814.jpg
Edited by RagingGrandpa

3 hours ago, Vince.Fab said:

I definitely pushed the wheel past what most people will ever do.   Finding the next weak link after fixing the suspension was inevitable. 

I've already addressed the design issues from Begode and with the fix,  also increased the suspension travel at the same time.   Use of better materials and very small changes drastically increases the strength of the stanchions.  These are already in production by Hou and will be available very soon.  

With all due respect,  we as a community should be asking for better engineering than this.

image000000(1).jpg

With all due respect, we as a community should be reasonable when we use these wheels and escalate issues. Defying their use case beyond their means and laws of physics, and complaining about said laws of physics is not productive. 260lbs and doing hardcore trail can break any wheel. Im 235lbs and i could break any wheel as well. 

17 minutes ago, Ronin Ryder said:

With all due respect, we as a community should be reasonable when we use these wheels and escalate issues. Defying their use case beyond their means and laws of physics, and complaining about said laws of physics is not productive. 260lbs and doing hardcore trail can break any wheel. Im 235lbs and i could break any wheel as well. 

Are you kidding, this wheel was marketed as an extreme off road wheel, it's even in the name, extreme, they also showed a video of a 90kg+ person dropping from high heights with the wheel over and over and had an extreme off road downhill rider in USA promote it.

Clearly we can all see from the photos how thin the part that broke is and it's not the first time Begode wheels use underdimensioned parts.

It's definitely a part they need to reinforce.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Ronin Ryder said:

With all due respect, we as a community should be reasonable

I think it's completely reasonable to shine light on the massive structural difference between Begod EUC's from 2022 like T4: 

monokoleso-begode-t4-20.jpg

... and this new, terribly compromised way to increase travel that Extreme debuted:

image.thumb.jpeg.1b5f2204bd9364145bda5f494614c6a1.jpeg

This new model is less durable than their old model! 
No kid gloves! 

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rawnei said:

Are you kidding, this wheel was marketed as an extreme off road wheel, it's even in the name, extreme, they also showed a video of a 90kg+ person dropping from high heights with the wheel over and over and had an extreme off road downhill rider in USA promote it.

Clearly we can all see from the photos how thin the part that broke is and it's not the first time Begode wheels use underdimensioned parts.

It's definitely a part they need to reinforce.

Yes they can always improve (i have the extreme and never received my updated shock, and they sent me 2 750lbs springs which were useless to me).

But 260lbs is 118kg, vs 90kg its a 28kg difference. Idk what else to say. We can keep complaining or we can manage our expectations and enjoy these devices more. 

• Like 2

Not complaining over here.  It's a great wheel with awesome potential.   Everyone has different expectations, riding styles and requirements for wheeling. 

The goal for myself was something that could outperform the s22 in every scenario.  That required mods and then small solutions to other things that presented themselves along the way.  

Definitely enjoyed all 430 or so miles that it has and very excited to put her back together.  Got rock gardens to play in.  

On topic ->  What's the deal with air tilt these days?  I've seen vids with a Firmware fix.   Has anyone tried?

Edited by Vince.Fab

1 hour ago, Ronin Ryder said:

Yes they can always improve (i have the extreme and never received my updated shock, and they sent me 2 750lbs springs which were useless to me).

But 260lbs is 118kg, vs 90kg its a 28kg difference. Idk what else to say. We can keep complaining or we can manage our expectations and enjoy these devices more. 

Well I say I completely disagree with you, manufacturers need to be held to a higher standard, specially how they market their wheels. 😅

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

Well I say I completely disagree with you, manufacturers need to be held to a higher standard, specially how they market their wheels. 😅

If you believe manufacturers improvised marketing, its already a big error from the start. A wheel is a wheel, only the specs matter. I ride the extreme in nyc, best city wheel ever. If i believed their hardcore trail riding "marketing" i would never have got this wheel and therefore missed one of the best street riding wheel ive tested. Begode has also marketed for a while their most powerful wheels with riders using them at 15mph...Should we trust that marketing and think these were slow wheels for slow riders?  Manufacturers have no idea, they just throw stuff at the wall and try to see what sticks. It's up to the riders to try to decipher this with the specs and see if the wheel fits a sought use case. 

Now again im not saying they shouldn't improve. But maybe managing expectations in a reasonable way. 

Edited by Ronin Ryder
  • Like 1