Begode Extreme 2400wh: 134V, 16", Suspension, 77lb

Ronin

2 hours ago, jimjam.nyc said:

For me if you are looking to compare Patton to the Extreme, I think looking at performance is wasted. 

I would look at other areas to compare these two. Build quality, suspension, smart BMS, price, etc. These wheels are so close in performance you can argue all day which one is better than the other and everyone would be wrong. 

True. I dont own either of the wheels I tried so I am afraid to push them when I had the chance to try them. So besides performance, I prefer the extreme for its ergonomics, smart bms and easy to work on. 

Ride feel, I actually prefer the commander mini out of them all. It seemed the smoothest and it was ready to go with just pads, whereas the patton and extreme needed more to feel right. Dealbreaker for commander mini is who knows how long it will stay supported by extremebull

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Cobaltsaber said:

Ride feel, I actually prefer the commander mini out of them all. It seemed the smoothest and it was ready to go with just pads, whereas the patton and extreme needed more to feel right. Dealbreaker for commander mini is who knows how long it will stay supported by extremebull

Interesting. My first impressions were very different than yours. I find I like the ride feel of the S22 and Patton the best out of the 4P suspension wheels. I also like the ride feel of the Patton more than the Mini. The Mini felt super stiff and rode a little bit similar to my V12. I have not ridden the Extreme.

• Like 1

Well if you guys are trying other peoples wheels you are also trying their pad setup and suspension tuning which might affect things, just something to think about if you are comparing how it feels.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lovely shock :wub: and whilst I don't have an Extreme I really appreciate the effort you have put in with this test data.

I had always suspected an air shock wasn't the best option for EUC's when the travel being used is so minimal compared to the wheel travel. Trying to get a decent curve on an air shock with only 35 ish mm to play with was always going to be tricky given the air pressure limitations. It was a long time back when I heard of people having to run 1000lb coils and I knew right then that getting an equivalent stiffness from a common MTB air shock would be difficult if not impossible.

4 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Lovely shock :wub: and whilst I don't have an Extreme I really appreciate the effort you have put in with this test data.

I had always suspected an air shock wasn't the best option for EUC's when the travel being used is so minimal compared to the wheel travel. Trying to get a decent curve on an air shock with only 35 ish mm to play with was always going to be tricky given the air pressure limitations. It was a long time back when I heard of people having to run 1000lb coils and I knew right then that getting an equivalent stiffness from a common MTB air shock would be difficult if not impossible.

I would love to test the Coil Shox in the soft hole, but would need an 1000lbs spring for it and cant find anything that high...do you know a source? 

1 minute ago, onkeldanuel said:

I would love to test the Coil Shox in the soft hole, but would need an 1000lbs spring for it and cant find anything that high...do you know a source? 

Not specifically for a Fox shock, no. Primarily because running anything over 650~700lbs on an MTB is insane, most are around 450lb. So they simply don't make them.

But...you might be able to find a spring from something else that might fit. I'm not saying the DNM/cheap chinese variants will fit the Fox, but maybe something somewhere.

What length is your Fox?

Have you got I.D., O.D. and free spring length of the spring you have?

26 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Not specifically for a Fox shock, no. Primarily because running anything over 650~700lbs on an MTB is insane, most are around 450lb. So they simply don't make them.

But...you might be able to find a spring from something else that might fit. I'm not saying the DNM/cheap chinese variants will fit the Fox, but maybe something somewhere.

What length is your Fox?

Have you got I.D., O.D. and free spring length of the spring you have?

Yeah, an max of 135mm Spring length will fit, 35mm inner diameter..outer diameter about 55-56mm 

Shock is 200x51 (7,875x2.0), use 700lb spring at hard hole right now..

Edited by onkeldanuel

Man I'm struggling. I think the 700lb you already have is the highest. I have checked FAST, Ohlins, RockShox, Fox, Cane Creek, Valt, PUSH and Sprindex. 

I did get the specs for the 1000lb DNM spring but it's a fair bit different on the sizing to what you have. Oddly, the free length is much higher and I'm guessing the O.D. won't fit inbetween your linkages?

Length: 185mm
I.D. : 45mm
O.D. : 70mm

I'm guessing the DNM body has a much longer threaded section than the Fox so it can get away with a longer spring. If the DNM spring wont work on the Fox but will work inbetween the linkages, I guess one option is to fit the DNM 200x55 with 1000lb spring. Of course, fitting the DNM over the DHX2 would be a massive comedown though....

Edited by Planemo

11 hours ago, Planemo said:

Man I'm struggling. I think the 700lb you already have is the highest. I have checked FAST, Ohlins, RockShox, Fox, Cane Creek, Valt, PUSH and Sprindex. 

I did get the specs for the 1000lb DNM spring but it's a fair bit different on the sizing to what you have. Oddly, the free length is much higher and I'm guessing the O.D. won't fit inbetween your linkages?

Length: 185mm
I.D. : 45mm
O.D. : 70mm

I'm guessing the DNM body has a much longer threaded section than the Fox so it can get away with a longer spring. If the DNM spring wont work on the Fox but will work inbetween the linkages, I guess one option is to fit the DNM 200x55 with 1000lb spring. Of course, fitting the DNM over the DHX2 would be a massive comedown though....

Yeah thats the problem....if Begode has an true 900lbs spring sourced for next batches it has to be custommade for them (same as inmotion for V14), since such springs simply doesnt exist in the needed dimensions....

Begodes actual spring is totally wrong: its for sure not true 900lbs and second and even more horrible: the spring itself has only 30mm stroke-capability which is catastrophic on an shock with 51mm stroke....spring needs atleast 55mm stroke by itself....or coilbind will happen soon/100% sure and anything will explode on heavy jumps..(shock itself, spring or whole linkage)

Fox makes an true 800lbs spring which is the highest available rating!

And the outer dia of the Spring is limited to the space between the linkages which is 60mm total space inbetween...

So its absolutely impossible to use any shock on the soft hole (besides you are 40-50 Kg rider, then it could work perfect with 700 - 800lb spring i guess)

Airshocks also doesnt work even with 350psi they blow right through the whole travel , so i dont know what they did with their stock airshock...i think they maxed it totally out with Volumespacers internally to make it super-progressive that it kinda works (but not really if you once are aware of what an proper shock feels like)

Like i said the DHX2 at hard hole works perfect, but sacrifice about 25mm possible wheeltravel because of different geometry then

Edited by onkeldanuel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok, Begode in about 1 month will come up with new 900lb and 1300lb springs with 130mm length (perfect) and so hopefully correct spring stroke.. (old 900lb spring was only 110mm total length) according to electric dreams on fb....batch one coil customers will get them new springs for free

I think the 900lb spring will be suitable for lighter riders and 1300lb for heavy ones.....both at softhole...1100 lbs might be a thing for medium weight riders, that was also my guess while testing, a bit over 1000lb would be perfect for soft mounting point with full travel...

Edited by onkeldanuel
  • Like 1

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ElectricUnicycle/permalink/6615733291857911/

An update in regards to the:
Begode Extreme

Over the past weeks I have been traveling back and forth to Begode to help with testing and development of this wheel to ensure it's a more refined product.
Improved PWM Alarms: (ready now)
It's easy to blame the rider for pushing past a wheels limit but it's also at the hands of the manufacturer to provide us ample warning and Begode has been listening. From the feedback of eWheels, video by Adam Malicki, testing by Albert Cua and myself. Firmware is available to download on Begode APP, feel free to try it out and provide feedback.
The Begode Extreme now has a new firmware with PWM alarm curve.
1.Set PWM to set number,
2. Single Beep will sound 10% before Set Number
3. Double Beep will sound 5% before Set Number
4. Continuous Beep will now sound at the Set Number
Improved Shock: (in a month approx)
The reason why the rod was bending when bottom out on the Extreme has nothing to do with the quality of the rod, it's already 12.9 grade steel, and with testing a harder rod resulted in also a more brittle so Begode Intelligent Technology Co., Ltd with Fei Che Biao Kebye GotWay went back to the drawing board and came up with the solution of a new shock that improved in two areas:

1. Increased Coil length from 110mm to 130mm thereby increasing the length of usable travel --> providing more support.
2. New Shock Design will now be more of a block shape to better disperse the energy resulting in less force applied to the centre of rod--> drastically improved durability.
Attached is a video of 90kg rider dropping off 111cm 10 times without damaging the rod, unedited raw footage.
Rider's who got their first batch of Extreme without these upgrades will be getting these from Begode.

image.thumb.jpeg.2b459f9f0accd4bced1c62e2f276446e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8f49b5f6ec43e32c9f17acbe6db26f97.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I feel bad for Begode with this wheel. So much wasted time in testing phase only to have to spend more time testing actual solutions.

I think it's great news in the end.  It seems that this wheel will actually get the fixes and treatment it deserves VS just another model released next week. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, onkeldanuel said:

Airshocks also doesnt work even with 350psi they blow right through the whole travel , so i dont know what they did with their stock airshock...i think they maxed it totally out with Volumespacers internally to make it super-progressive that it kinda works (but not really if you once are aware of what an proper shock feels like)

Yep, I reckon they have used a super-low volume can or as you say maxed it out by filling up the can with tokens. As you say, either way it's a shit solution.

I went to pull apart my stock EX30 air shock the other day just out of curiosity. I have rebuilt many regular air shocks so I thought it would be interesting to compare. But I couldn't even unscrew the can. I think I read somewhere of someone else doing it and needing to heat the hell out of it. Clearly not meant to be serviced lol. If I do get it apart I will let you know. I'm not bothered if I destroy it in the process so I'll cut it apart if need be.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DjPanJan said:

Simply say Extreme be ready and troublefree +- around batch manufactured around  3 month 2024 for next spring purchase? 

I doubt they’re going to stand idle, especially if the Adventure reviews will be as glowing as the first ones seem. By summer 2024 I’d expect at least an Extreme v2 with a lot of incompatible parts to v1, or a completely new model.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

17 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I doubt they’re going to stand idle, especially if the Adventure reviews will be as glowing as the first ones seem. By summer 2024 I’d expect at least an Extreme v2 with a lot of incompatible parts to v1, or a completely new model.

This things would happen regardeless....its an year after Release then...of course there will be new wheels by then 

I am amazed that working PWM tiltback is only in old custom Firmwares ... 
Or, instead of making rod stronger - they are making custom shock mount with wider contact area. What makes other shocks incompatible.

I don't feel bad for Begode. They need to fail more until they start to care for theirs riders. Now Extreme need to compete only in price. Lets see black friday deals :D !

29 minutes ago, daniel1234 said:

I am amazed that working PWM tiltback is only in old custom Firmwares ... 
Or, instead of making rod stronger - they are making custom shock mount with wider contact area. What makes other shocks incompatible.

I don't feel bad for Begode. They need to fail more until they start to care for theirs riders. Now Extreme need to compete only in price. Lets see black friday deals :D !

not sure what do you mean, PWM tiltback is present in all new firmwares

Hope one can see it good enough: so at hardhole like it seemed from my testings the upperside of the linkage hits the underside of the rearlight , due to this the Wheeltravel is restricted to about max. 95mm , its not the shockstroke of 51mm or something else is restricting up till there....

See the small mark on the first picture on the Black tape i put on top of the linkage  ...

Would be corious with removed rearlight (or put it some mm higher, it has quite/too big diameter)

If this would be all to only make a smaller diameter headlight that would be a little to easy fix i guess lol (somewhat easyer then make new Spring and Shock :-) )

20230925_135643.jpg

20230925_135711.jpg

Edited by onkeldanuel

On 9/23/2023 at 9:37 AM, onkeldanuel said:

This things would happen regardeless....its an year after Release then...of course there will be new wheels by then 

Sure, but whether they are to replace the Extreme or not is another matter. One would expect them to cater other size classes for a change if the Extreme still sells.

Seems i gained some more travel today , now 100+ mm without bottoming out, only able to test some hopping/jumping in backyard...

For testing purposes i set the Headlight higher...

On the second picture can see the used travel now....without droptest or huge jump tho...

So seems good, no much travel left, only like 15mm,  perhaps already enough to set headlight higher/remove it or what do you think? 

20230925_172226.jpg

20230925_172235.jpg

Edited by onkeldanuel
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, onkeldanuel said:

Seems i gained some more travel today , now 100+ mm without bottoming out, only able to test some hopping/jumping in backyard...

For testing purposes i set the Headlight higher.

Thanks for testing your hypothesis and sharing the positive result.