Begode Extreme 2400wh: 134V, 16", Suspension, 77lb

Ronin

9 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Agreed.
Hopefully they don't forget about the market failure of their original EX. 

They seem a bit stubborn, not sure why they don't consult another company like DNM or FastAce or similar.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, onkeldanuel said:

Yeah, dont know if engineering an whole shock is the right approach.....even more so because Begode isnt an Shockmanufacturer and doesnt know how to built it to todays standards for sure ...

Although, I am surprised that Begode didn't pick out an off-the-shell part, I am curious as to how Begode is going to resolve the issue using a custom design. And how well the design is going to work.

You would think their efforts may be better spent on linkage design, or slider design. 

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Although, I am surprised that Begode didn't pick out an off-the-shell part, I am curious as to how Begode is going to resolve the issue using a custom design. And how well the design is going to work.

You would think their efforts may be better spent on linkage design, or slider design. 

Yes because it doesnt make any sense at all to design an own shock only because one fckng bolt has bent 2 or 3 times....they even made an thicker shockrod and bigger shockbody piston and what not.....man....we want to throw in an real shock from an reputable manufacturer anyways if we want best damping behaviour from the shock...they can not achieve this performance anyways 

This bolt which bent is 86mm long, so its pretty long for those forces, but its 12mm diameter and if made from quality Material it should work or (not chinesium of course)? 

Besides the spring was the root cause most likely 

Edited by onkeldanuel

Ive adeed an Shock already and there is something to change for it ...but my first try was with 8mm 12.9 steel dia bolts for Standard mtb-bushings......didnt work and bent the upper 86mm bolt while first try at jumping. Now i got custom 12mm dia eylet-bushings (because all manufacturers use 12,7mm bushings) and fitted an 12mm dia bolt again (X46 hardened Steel, will see but dont think this will bent. If So then im sure there are even harder/stronger steels out there....but i mean its only one bolt....) so far all good 

I only tried the 8mm Standard mounting Hardware, because on the S22 it worked with 12.9 bolt but its to week for the Begode Linkage Design...(only the upper longer bolt bent) 

20230908_102907.jpg

Edited by onkeldanuel
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, onkeldanuel said:

Ive adeed an Shock already and there is something to change for it ...but my first try was with 8mm 12.9 steel dia bolts for Standard mtb-bushings......didnt work and bent the upper 86mm bolt while first try at jumping. Now i got custom 12mm dia eylet-bushings (because all manufacturers use 12,7mm bushings) and fitted an 12mm dia bolt again (X46 hardened Steel, will see but dont think this will bent. If So then im sure there are even harder/stronger steels out there....but i mean its only one bolt....) so far all good 

I only tried the 8mm Standard mounting Hardware, because on the S22 it worked with 12.9 bolt but its to week for the Begode Linkage Design...(only the upper longer bolt bent) 

20230908_102907.jpg

Fox Factory x2 that's a good shock. How much is shock vs. suspension travel rate?  

6 minutes ago, okvp said:

Fox Factory x2 that's a good shock. How much is shock vs. suspension travel rate?  

Its an DHX2 Coilshock but will test X2 Airshock too next week...

Its 51mm Shock Stroke vs whatever the Real Wheeltravel is...around 115mm i would guess....

There are Top- and Bottomout-"bumpers" also on the Stanchions...

Edited by onkeldanuel

9 minutes ago, onkeldanuel said:

Its an DHX2 Coilshock but will test X2 Airshock too next week...

Its 51mm Shock Stroke vs whatever the Real Wheeltravel is...around 115mm i would guess....

There are Top- and Bottomout-"bumpers" also on the Stanchions...

That is pretty good rate 1:2,2. 

5 hours ago, Rawnei said:

it's questionable if that sort of parts strength is required in the first place.

Its not required at all, but it was the easiest way for begode to deal with the amount of unsupported bolt they had without modifying linkages and adding extended bosses to the side plates.

3 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

It's looking that way... More details emerging: the new spring/coil length is 120-130mm & they're having to make a custom spring for the updated support frame, as it's a few mm thicker in diameter (left).

ExtremeShockSupport.jpg.f3c3976bad98501c64266694a9cb6dc8.jpg

So this is really a part milled to replace the weak bolt. Seems very odd, milling is expensive and you probably can't use third party shocks with that part. The bolt is just minor  flaw, why didn't they just turn (with lathe) bigger adapters for it with the stronger bolt.

Edited by okvp
  • Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Planemo said:

Does the wheel actually use 51mm of shock stroke from min to max wheel travel? Good if it does, things are going in the right direction.

I have to check, have to remove the Spring at next disassemble and test without spring, how much shock and wheeltravel is really used... 

Wasnt able to use full wheeltravel yet with 800lbs spring at hard linkage mounting point.....-->30-33mm Wheeltravel-Sag depending on preload 

In the soft linkage mounting point its way to weak and gives 55mm Wheeltravel-Sag 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

If anyone is running into BMS/battery problems on the Extreme, BG just produced this helpful diagnostic overview. 

ExtremeBMSData.thumb.jpg.1a9e6f75adc71d208b7dda80e82a58ff.jpg

Good info, I really wouldn’t want to be “accompanied by car cocked”! :roflmao:

But seriously, despite the translation funkyness which is to be expected, I’m surprised to see such a comprehensive documentation and all the battery safety features from Begode. Well done!

• Like 1

Is this issue with the beep plus immediate shut off being worked on?

In addition to high speed plus low battery charge, would the shut off happen at low speed plus low battery charge? Let's say there is 20% battery left and the rider is going at 5-10 mph... would the beep plus immediate shut off happen?

1 hour ago, WILSONEUC said:

Is this wheel good or not? Is it a replacement to the Master? 

My opinion is that the jury is still out.

Give the owners time to ride the wheel, and share their thoughts. 

And should there be issues, it does seem like like Begode is serious about making the Extreme a good wheel. The only things that may not be competitive are the sliders, and the suspension linkage, and the shock.

With regards to the Extreme being a Master replacement, even Begode said themselves the Extreme was designed to be a bad ass off-road wheel, first and foremost. 

I think people are expecting the Extreme Bull Commander GT to be the Master replacement for now. 

Edited by techyiam
  • Upvote 1

On 9/17/2023 at 8:48 AM, Jason McNeil said:

If anyone is running into BMS/battery problems on the Extreme, BG just produced this helpful diagnostic overview. 

ExtremeBMSData.thumb.jpg.1a9e6f75adc71d208b7dda80e82a58ff.jpg

Where are these Blue and Red status LED's located? 
(Are they visible from the exterior of the EUC?)

Thx

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onkeldanuel said:

Ok guys, if anyone wonders, i have testet and measured available Wheeltravel of the Extreme suspension: 

In the "hard" mounting hole of the linkage the available wheeltravel is massively reduced !

Its very max 82mm Wheeltravel until the linkage hits the rearlight-assembly (unlikely because its more progressive too)

On the Soft Mounting hole its about 110mm - very very max i would say 115mm Wheeltravel...(nothing will hit anything)

(But Bottomout O-rings are about 12mm and Topout-dampers are 6-7mm anyways....the included this space into the advertised 130mm Suspension-Travel which could not be used because of that ) 

Soft mounting hole is not usable with an Coilshock, unless you will find a spring with 1000lbs or above (im 80Kg).-->an correct 800lbs spring gave me 55mm Sag at Soft hole...way to much around 50% Sag

Hard hole works great with an 700lbs spring for me , but again, as i suspected the Wheeltravel will be greatly reduced to patton-style (its ok but not what it could be of course) , Sag is 32mm (little high for 82mm Wheeltravel tho, but on the other hand it seems ok because the available travel would be little more if the Headlight would be little higher placed)

Now i will test with Fox X2 Airshock in Soft mounting hole with full Wheeltravel (will see if perhaps around 200, 250 or 300psi will make this possible, or not)

Just as I suspected, so the 130mm is just marketing, it's the same on all the Begode wheels, that really sucks, so in hard position it's basically same as a T4, somewhere around same as EX30, and that's with same bad old geometry.

I wish they could be more honest here and say the actual travel instead of this marketing stunt.

Edited by Rawnei
  • Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

Just as I suspected, so the 130mm is just marketing, it's the same on all the Begode wheels, that really sucks, so in hard position it's basically same as a T4, somewhere around same as EX30, and that's with same bad old geometry.

I wish they could be more honest here and say the actual travel instead of this marketing stunt.

Yet, there appears to be plenty of Begode fans raving how great the Extreme is.

It looks like the S22 Pro is still safe, as is the Patton. Both wheels have their strengths.

I guess some third party will come to the rescue for the Extreme. Is this Begode's thinking all along?

Riders looking to buy a new wheel need to determine which new wheel has the best fit for their needs and wants. It doesn't look like there will be a wheel that will rule supreme in all areas.

• Upvote 1