Begode Extreme 2400wh: 134V, 16", Suspension, 77lb

Ronin

The dashed/broken lines are typically 10 feet long and 30 feet apart, but the 2009 federal guidelines adopted by Colorado in 2011 don't actually specify any lengths. They might be 10' long and 30' apart, but they might not be too. Some researcher measured them at 16' long in Arizona. Chooch has cried cutout inaccurately before, but it's certainly a bummer to get dumped with a beep and a half's warning. I kinda don't blame him for being more than annoyed, this is an EXTREME after all—right?

Roger EUC commented that in race mode he could easily overlean the wheel (so much so that he really didn't like it), but not so much in off road (he seemed much happier with it in off road mode). I wonder what setting Chooch was using?

https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/pdfs/2009r1r2r3/mutcd2009r1r2r3edition.pdf page 351)

https://www.codot.gov/safety/traffic-safety/design/signing-and-markings

Edited by Tawpie
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, eezo said:

Those factors combined with a ~50% battery percentage, it's highly likely that his acceleration/speed up an incline, when combined with a 90% PWM alarm, the power demand would cause a voltage drop so severe that it would drop the wheel before it could even have time to warn the rider.

I also think this is highly possible, even if both packs were connected. Riders rely way too much on the PWM alarm saving their ass but the reality is that if you are pushing hard near to the PWM alarm you can quite easily blast past the danger zone before the warning wakes up. And even if it does wake up (and you hear it of course), theres still the required rider time to back off. It's a risky gamble and is why I am never pushing the wheel hard (be that speed, incline or high head winds) near the PWM alarm. Granted, our buffer is setting the alarm lower (I never set above 80%) but I never need an extra 3 of 4 mph that badly I will risk my bones for it. Racers, yes I can see the need but for most people I think the answer is just getting a faster wheel. It's why I bought an EX30 that I am never likely to even hit the 80% alarm with let alone hit 100% PWM. I really don't want to sound sucky-eggs here, just a fitting reminder for any newbs who think the PWM alarm is a failsafe.

Edited by Planemo
  • Upvote 3

Ride One's first impression of the Begode Extreme. 

They did a partial teardown, which included opening the motor up. 

Most of the riding was done in the wee hours on the streets. Top speed reached according to the Begode app was 81 km/h. 

• Like 1

My takeaway from the reviews so far is that the wheel is no better than the other 16 inch wheels released this year. (minus the s16) Matter of fact most of the reviews are pointing to it being the worst of the performance level 16inch wheels that have been released so far. Except for maybe the build quality, which seems on point.

I wonder if Electric Dreams will ever release his review. It has been quite a while since his unboxing. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, techyiam said:

Ride One's first impression of the Begode Extreme. 

They did a partial teardown, which included opening the motor up. 

Most of the riding was done in the wee hours on the streets. Top speed reached according to the Begode app was 81 km/h. 

There were mentions of a high speed cutout/cutoff in the video, and Seb had a beep and major dip while riding which he was able to pull back and save. If he wasn't sitting down to where he could react and pull the wheel shell back immediately, it probably would have been a crash. The YouTube video comments from Ride One said that the rider who crashed wasn't in tune with the wheel's feedback, which is very deliberately delicate phrasing. Reading between the lines of Seb's beep and immediate dip, and the comments in the video from some of the riders who were nervous about pushing the speed after the crash the previous night, it seems that the wheel has a really narrow safety margin.

The general feedback on the wheel so far is that the motor is very demanding on the battery and so once the battery starts to drain, you have to be really careful how you push it because there's a major cutout/cutoff risk.

Edited by eezo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, eezo said:

There were mentions of a high speed cutout/cutoff in the video, and Seb had a beep and major dip while riding which he was able to pull back and save. If he wasn't sitting down to where he could react and pull the wheel shell back immediately, it probably would have been a crash.

The general feedback on the wheel so far is that the motor is very demanding on the battery and so once the battery starts to drain, you have to be really careful how you push it because there's a major cutout/cutoff risk.

In watching Seb's other videos, it seems Seb is a rider who is very quick to react to dips and recover from imminent cutouts. He seems to be someone who is used to exploring wheels' limits.

What Ride One was saying was that they don't think Begode has gotten the imminent cutout warning algorithm completely right yet. They were saying that the warnings don't come soon enough to give the rider enough time to react.

If the abnormally high battery consumption is true, that is bad news for the Extreme.

I hope Begode manages to resolve this soon.

The Extreme may be Begode's best example of decent build quality to date.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, eezo said:

There were mentions of a high speed cutout/cutoff in the video, and Seb had a beep and major dip while riding which he was able to pull back and save. If he wasn't sitting down to where he could react and pull the wheel shell back immediately, it probably would have been a crash. The YouTube video comments from Ride One said that the rider who crashed wasn't in tune with the wheel's feedback, which is very deliberately delicate phrasing. Reading between the lines of Seb's beep and immediate dip, and the comments in the video from some of the riders who were nervous about pushing the speed after the crash the previous night, it seems that the wheel has a really narrow safety margin.

One beep and instant dip at 85% PWM alarm.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

One beep and instant dip at 85% PWM alarm.

Sounds like if someone is going to be riding this wheel with any kind of aggression, the PWM alarm should be in the 70% range if not lower.

Im starting to get the feeling that the Begode engineers arent that great at engineering, like maybe they cheated on some tests while at the university, and even though they passed the classes ... they dont quite understand things like applied forces or the relationship between the motor power draw and available output.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

My philosophy is that you aim for a 30% safety margin as the worst case, doing a joyride. And you don't go there on the first ride, but in small increments while checking things. That way you might get a warning before a failure.

Yep, excellent thinking. Never been anywhere near the top speed of my Master, and I usually top out at around half of what it is capable. But I remain grateful to all the reviewers, and speed-freaks, whose experience and (in some cases) crashes were very instructive and useful in showing us all where the margins / limits truly are...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

No PWM setting can solve lose of power. You will get PWM warning only after is too late. PWM warning is for more like speedometer, not a safety feature.

BMS itself seems to have problem not signaling ESC in advance that battery have problem. You can see complexity biteing them into ass. I would assume there is some "smart BMS" but after seeing even RIDE one crashing their Extreme, I would guess it is just "voltage monitoring only" BMS.

Voltage dip that big should not happen. I expect gentle high speed tiltback, when I stupidly over push my wheel. Not Nosedive and hate inside community :D, that I ride too Extreme. If wheel is not safe above 75 km/h - it is fine with me. They should just test it in advance and disclose it in public. They could hold lunch for month, give few wheel to real riders and they would know. This is 5th v1 wheel what was not QC tested before lunch. V1 production is QC test itself.  

Do NOT buy V1 50e Extreme - go with 40t option guys. Or get Patton(replaceable rim, waranty and some safety). I really like extreme - and late Begode wheels. But the practice how they make them seems really bad. 

• Upvote 1

Just as I had expected they weren't able to create good link geometry on the Extreme either, up to 3rd parties to fix it again. 😬

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, FarkyJ said:

begode get your shit together pls....

It seems clear to me that they just copy other designs, and don't really understand suspension systems.

• Upvote 3

This wheel is a hard nope as it stands right now. 

I hope they fix it vs releasing another model. The design of it is very nice, and all of these issues seem pretty reasonably fixable for people excited for the extreme.

What would be not exciting is getting the begode ultimate next month with half of these issues solved, and some new ones tacked on. 

Begodes problem is quite literally the sheer amount of models of wheels they have and the variations of each model.

It makes it hard to justify purchasing any of their wheels for me atleast.

• Upvote 1