Begode Extreme 2400wh: 134V, 16", Suspension, 77lb

Ronin

11 hours ago, Vince.Fab said:

PSA - if you upgrade to a Shinko 241, it's 1/4" wider than stock (3.33") and will need 1/8" battery spacers if you want to maintain stock clearances without trimming. 

20230925_121912.jpg

Thanks!  Do you have any feedback on how this tire handles compared to the stock tire…low speed turning, high speed stability, train tracking, etc.?

On 9/22/2023 at 5:40 AM, Planemo said:

Yep, I reckon they have used a super-low volume can or as you say maxed it out by filling up the can with tokens. As you say, either way it's a shit solution.

I went to pull apart my stock EX30 air shock the other day just out of curiosity. I have rebuilt many regular air shocks so I thought it would be interesting to compare. But I couldn't even unscrew the can. I think I read somewhere of someone else doing it and needing to heat the hell out of it. Clearly not meant to be serviced lol. If I do get it apart I will let you know. I'm not bothered if I destroy it in the process so I'll cut it apart if need be.

For the original begode air shock, you could rotate the top part of the can off by sticking a screwdriver through the top eyelet and then either using a strap wrench around the can or just using looped duct tape. I pulled mine apart to fill it with oil before I found out you could pull out the schrader valve and fill oil through there. With enough oil or a fat 3d printed volume spacer you can make the stock air shock very progressive and quite nice, but the issue is they tend to leak oil eventually and it still doesn't have compression dampening. IIRC, the design is pretty basic. Generic plunger and shaft design. Filled with some low viscosity oil that resembled something along the lines of spit.

• Like 1

PSA:  I just unboxed my Extreme.  Notable so far:

1. Suspension was stuck compressed (had to pry it apart).  Pretty nice 1st ride w/o suspension (yea, did a pedal scrape - oops lol). 

2. Shock too long for mount (had to pry it to compress enough to fit)

3. Adjusted shock preload (reduced about a dozen peg-turns).  VERY NICE the way the shock adjusts via pin-tool compared to other designs. 

4. Travel - It seems to run into a false bottom about 3/4" from full compression.  I saw someone else speculate the spring travel was insufficient.  I can try a few more dropps while pouncing at the same time.  However, I have the impresison that the 900lbs spring reduces the travel.  I will try it with less pre-load to see if it will travel further which it may but belies the idea of having smothe deep travel to the full range.  The spring doesn't look like its progressive either. 

5. The Begode app doesn't give me a "verification code" to get an account.  Also EUC World doesn't list Extreme for wheel type.  So still no app connection. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Vince.Fab said:

PSA - if you upgrade to a Shinko 241, it's 1/4" wider than stock (3.33") and will need 1/8" battery spacers if you want to maintain stock clearances without trimming. 

20230925_121912.jpg

What's your total height?  I'm planning to put a knobby on mine.  Looks like I will need the same spacers and maybe have to remove the inner fender too. 

36 minutes ago, Elliott Reitz said:

1. Suspension was stuck compressed (had to pry it apart).  Pretty nice 1st ride w/o suspension (yea, did a pedal scrape - oops lol). 

Since you bought an Extreme with a coil shock, the shock should have been installed with the default 750 lb spring.

The suspension was stuck compressed? Were you able to find out what was causing it?

2 hours ago, techyiam said:

Since you bought an Extreme with a coil shock, the shock should have been installed with the default 750 lb spring.

The suspension was stuck compressed? Were you able to find out what was causing it?

Shipping with the 750lb installed was the announced plan, but they changed it for some reason, and are shipping with the 900lb installed. This is unfortunate, because the 900lb spring doesn't have enough stroke (only around 30ish mm) to work with the shock, which causes coil binding. I installed the 750lb spring, and I haven't encountered any coil bind. It does feel too soft, however. Begode has said they will be shipping a 900lb coil with the correct stroke, around mid-October.

All of the recent unboxing videos have shown that the suspension is "stuck" in the compressed state. Simply removing the seat and loosening the 2 large screws at the top of the sliders allows the suspension to move freely.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Elliott Reitz said:

PSA:  I just unboxed my Extreme.  Notable so far (with updates this post):

2. Shock too long for mount (had to pry it to compress enough to fit)

3. Adjusted shock preload (reduced about a dozen peg-turns).  VERY NICE the way the shock adjusts via pin-tool compared to other designs. 

4. Travel - It seems to run into a false bottom about 3/4" from full compression.  I tried a sloping-drop and got the same compression max.  I saw another YT speculated the spring travel was insufficient.  I have the same impression that the (900lbs spring may reduce the travel).  I will try it with less pre-load to see if it will travel further which it may but belies the idea of having smothe deep travel to the full range.  The spring doesn't look like its progressive either. 

5. The Begode app ... "verification code" ... account... firmware.  Also EUC World doesn't list Extreme for wheel type.  So still no app connection. 

Extreme setup and 1st ride with Loki and Teddy!

5 hours ago, techyiam said:

It seemed like it could have been the alignment of the top with the frame as bolted tight (like the old axil-shims, lol).  Once it was 1/2" moved it got way easier but I still used the channel locks backwards all the way extended. It never did slide-drop by holding it up.  Still 1st ride and 1st slop-drop it seemed to move fine.  So my take on it was it was just loosening up wearing in.  

Next project with it is to put a real knobby on it.  I was glad to see someone fit a Shinko SR241 without cutting the core frame.  

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Whalesmash said:

For the original begode air shock, you could rotate the top part of the can off by sticking a screwdriver through the top eyelet and then either using a strap wrench around the can or just using looped duct tape.

I had mine in a vice clamping the large hex section on the body and a 2 foot bar thought the top eyelet. Wouldn't budge. I'll get on it with the blowtorch when I can be bothered :) but I hear you on what you found, and I agree that the oil sealing design/components must be very poor for so many to leak in such a short space of time. 

On 9/26/2023 at 9:58 AM, stizl said:

Thanks!  Do you have any feedback on how this tire handles compared to the stock tire…low speed turning, high speed stability, train tracking, etc.?

I don't have too many miles on it yet but compared to the stock tire it feels much better.  I've always loved the CST186 though and it feels very similar.  The stock tire wasn't impressive on the trails though, not confidence inspiring in the corners on the loose dirt.

19 hours ago, Elliott Reitz said:

What's your total height?  I'm planning to put a knobby on mine.  Looks like I will need the same spacers and maybe have to remove the inner fender too. 

It's about 18.5" OD but fits the inner fender just fine.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vince.Fab said:

@Planemo this suspension stuff is really interesting!  its really cool what you can do when you have control over the design.  The Extreme does get pretty tight though. 

Ive finalized my custom linkage and have hardware on the way.  Fully 3d printed the prototype to make sure the shock wouldn't top or bottom out easily and measured at 10% travel points.  Plotted a ratio chart and effective spring force with a 550lber.  Really interested to hear your thoughts

The shock is the same as the s22 (240x75 or 9.5x3) because it's know to have good big jump abilities and the travel is close.  Effective travel on the Extreme is 115mm, 130 minus 5mm stoppers on the bottom and 10mm rings on the top.

I'll probably make a separate thread to geek out on this stuff lol

leverage chart.jpg

20231001_012716.jpg

Amazing Mr! I need this linkage too

• Like 2

6 hours ago, onkeldanuel said:

Amazing Mr! I need this linkage too

@Planemo , likewise thank you!  I hope your efforts turn into a purchase'able product before I get finished crafting something of my own.  I don't have much for machining but do use oxy/acetylene torches and hammers, etc.  I ordered some flat-steel stock to work with, so maybe in a couple of weeks.  

One thing for sure is that its not worth putting a better knobby on this wheel till the linkage works.  Till then its just another road wheel and I already have a Master that's better for my 30-50 mph commuting speeds.

Edited by Elliott Reitz
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Elliott Reitz said:

@Planemo , likewise thank you!  I hope your efforts turn into a purchase'able product before I get finished crafting something of my own.  I don't have much for machining but do use oxy/acetylene torches and hammers, etc.  I ordered some flat-steel stock to work with, so maybe in a couple of weeks.  

One thing for sure is that its not worth putting a better knobby on this wheel till the linkage works.  Till then its just another road wheel and I already have a Master that's better for my 30-50 mph commuting speeds.

I should have a working prototype within days, got a nice cnc router in the garage and 3/5 axis mills at work.   Flat steel will work but if you use a scissor style linkage, your hardware is going to get very close to battery boxes.  That's one area where a pack spacer can help though.

Imo the stock linkage isn't terrible, especially with the airshock and its built in progression.  However, I'm a heavy rider and psi is in the high 200s to get it to work well.   Ive never been on a Master but a bone stock Extreme will dominate over something like an RST.

Definitely post up your designs if you get the time.   The more the merrier and it would be interesting to see what different types of curves we can come up with.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vince.Fab said:

I should have a working prototype within days, got a nice cnc router in the garage and 3/5 axis mills at work.   Flat steel will work but if you use a scissor style linkage, your hardware is going to get very close to battery boxes.  That's one area where a pack spacer can help though.

Imo the stock linkage isn't terrible, especially with the airshock and its built in progression.  However, I'm a heavy rider and psi is in the high 200s to get it to work well.   Ive never been on a Master but a bone stock Extreme will dominate over something like an RST.

Definitely post up your designs if you get the time.   The more the merrier and it would be interesting to see what different types of curves we can come up with.  

The problem with the stock linkage is, that in soft hole absolutely no shock works (besides the ramped up ultra tiny volume stock airshock) , even for an 180 lbs rider, but the hard hole only uses 100mm travel and feels kinda rough on small/medium bumps at speed (with an Fox DHX2 Coilshock/700lb)

Edited by onkeldanuel
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Unipilot69 said:

The status led is in the rear light between the rgb's.

Are you sure about that? It looks to me like the status light is under the trolley handle. When charging, I see 2 blue LEDs blinking under the trolley handle, and nothing with the rear light. I believe the LED in the rear light is for bluetooth.

Your correct. I just received my Extreme yesterday. I tested the charger with euc tuned on and the Begode app connected to check the smart bms feature. I won't be able to do a test ride for another month. I have a broken wrist. It doesn't affect my ridding ability but I'm unable to lift heavy objects. Also it's not worth the liability of a minor crash permanently wrecking the broken wrist.

17 minutes ago, Unipilot69 said:

The Begode build quality has vastly improved. Maybe good documentation will come next 

Plus the waterproofing should be good enough for riding in torrential downpours, and smart BMS. And then you look at the price at eucdeals.com. Hard to ignore the value it's offering. 

Edited by techyiam