Hong Kong Regulation / Legislation

Chuts

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was not a very helpful answer! I think it is already common sense that an EU should not be ridden in mixed traffic with automobiles. I would not walk or run on the freeway either. The question which they did not answer is whether it is okay for an EU to ride in a bike lane (do you have those in Hong Kong?) or on sidewalks along with pedestrian traffic. In the USA it is already legal for other motorized vehicles such as Segways or motorized wheelchairs to use the sidewalk, so I am not sure why riding an EU there would be prohibited. My local laws prevent any motor-assisted device like an EU, wheelchair, or electric bicycle from being used on streets, except for low-speed residential streets.

That was not a very helpful answer! I think it is already common sense that an EU should not be ridden in mixed traffic with automobiles. I would not walk or run on the freeway either. The question which they did not answer is whether it is okay for an EU to ride in a bike lane (do you have those in Hong Kong?) or on sidewalks along with pedestrian traffic. In the USA it is already legal for other motorized vehicles such as Segways or motorized wheelchairs to use the sidewalk, so I am not sure why riding an EU there would be prohibited. My local laws prevent any motor-assisted device like an EU, wheelchair, or electric bicycle from being used on streets, except for low-speed residential streets.

​He did address where EU can be used right at the end of the press release, you may have missed it.  Making his answers simple he says:

1. EU could be considered as "Motorized Vehicles".
  2. However they don't fall into any current vehicle classes.
  3. Because of that they can't be registered and licensed.
  4. No current plans to amend current classes.
  5. Other cities don't allow EU on their roads.
  6. Police do not keep records of verbal warnings given.
  7. Police do not keep records of accidents cause by EU.
  8. Sales of EU by retail or internet is not Legislated.
  9. Only licensed and registered vehicle allowed on roads
  10. EU can be used indoor or on other non-road places.

I was at the Smart Ride event today in Shenzhen and met a guy who said he got his Rockwheel confiscated for four months in Sheung Shui in Hong Kong and he had to post 10,000 HKD bail.  He got it all back at the end of four months.  He said he rode it past the police station in Sheung Shui when it happened.  Not sure how true this story is.

@arbee

This press release is from an government website.  This release was dated 6th May 2015 meaning only this month.  Although i don't understand what reason the police would have had to give regarding the confiscation of the unicycle and this bail that is mentioned.

Read the text and, although I fully understand it's content, it makes me a little angry that officials simply Refuse to admit to anything reasonable if they are unable to fit it inside a pre-defined box of laws.

Ergo, since a certain law was made for motorized objects which are definately in a totally different class than an EU (like cars, trucks or motorbikes), even though technically an EU falls in this class, they will not recognize that in fact there is a enormous difference between a 11 kg EU at 16 km/h and a 1400 kg car at 120 km/h.

Makes me wonder: Does Hong Kong have specific laws for which 'electric bikes?  Do electric bikes, capable of doing 25 km/h (156% faster than a EU), pose a significant risk to the public and the rider? 

Do electric bikes need to be registered and licensed in Hong Kong?
And if not, then why would a slower, lighter, smaller and less dangerous apparatus BE licensed & registered.

If an EU is basically outlawed and I then would have to choose to between a electric bike or car, would this mean that by doing so I would actually pose LESS of a treat to the public on an e-bike or car than on an EU? How many people are killed in accidents where cars or ebikes are involved each year (in Hong Kong or elsewhere)?

IMHO, what it al comes down to is the fact that MOST people involved with laws are just there to follow and/or implement them and are hardly ever interested in improving and/or changing them. So much expecting progress from such people....

Read the text and, although I fully understand it's content, it makes me a little angry that officials simply Refuse to admit to anything reasonable if they are unable to fit it inside a pre-defined box of laws.

Ergo, since a certain law was made for motorized objects which are definately in a totally different class than an EU (like cars, trucks or motorbikes), even though technically an EU falls in this class, they will not recognize that in fact there is a enormous difference between a 11 kg EU at 16 km/h and a 1400 kg car at 120 km/h.

Makes me wonder: Does Hong Kong have specific laws for which 'electric bikes?  Do electric bikes, capable of doing 25 km/h (156% faster than a EU), pose a significant risk to the public and the rider? 

Do electric bikes need to be registered and licensed in Hong Kong?
And if not, then why would a slower, lighter, smaller and less dangerous apparatus BE licensed & registered.

If an EU is basically outlawed and I then would have to choose to between a electric bike or car, would this mean that by doing so I would actually pose LESS of a treat to the public on an e-bike or car than on an EU? How many people are killed in accidents where cars or ebikes are involved each year (in Hong Kong or elsewhere)?

IMHO, what it al comes down to is the fact that MOST people involved with laws are just there to follow and/or implement them and are hardly ever interested in improving and/or changing them. So much expecting progress from such people....

​Are you reading the same thing I linked because it is very different from what he said.  He said is that there is currently no law regarding the use of EUs and no current plans to amend existing laws or create a new one specifically for EUs.  Currently all vehicles that use the roads here need to be licensed and roadworthy.  As EUs can't be licensed and certainly not roadworthy they are not allowed on the roads but they are allowed everywhere else, meaning sidewalks and bicycle lanes.

Are you confusing "Street" with "Road".  As some people use both words synonymously with each other.  Back to basics... a street is made up with one road and at least one sidewalk.

Additionally, electric bikes are illegal to use in Hong Kong.  As too are Segways... a special law had to be written for those.

@Chuts so based on the document that you linked and your general understanding is it illegal or not to ride it on sidewalks or bicycle paths in Hong Kong?

Based on the press release I believe what he mentions is that it is legal to use an EU on sidewalks and also bicycle lanes and as he puts it "none-road places".

With on my own experience I have passed lots of police on sidewalks / bicycle paths and they have never stopped me... only that one time I mentioned.  I've been in parks and outside parts of shopping plazas but usually the local security will ask you not to ride in areas like these if there are lots of people around.  If hardly anyone about they usually don't bother saying anything.

The main reasons I think that the HK government will not or at least holding back on putting regulations on EU is that HK is trying to be a proactive green city.  They actually want people to use electric vehicles.  However they are trying to balance this with health and safety too.  That's why the electric bike is illegal as they go too fast and the Segways take up too much room in a city where space is already limited.  They might not be long but they are wide.

The government are also concerned about the number of bicycles that are locked up to metal fences almost everywhere you go in the city and they congest the pathways.  So with a product like the EU it is small enough to take home and when using them outside they have similar dimensions to someone walking.  The large majority of EUs don't go too fast either.

Although I really enjoy riding my EU, I can understand from the governments point of view...    As the battery advance, these things will become cheaper and more powerful.  They are easy to buy online, people will start to mod them to go 50kmh.   Kids will be racing in the parking lot, the bike lane, the streets or even on the road, they won’t even wear a helmet.  It is just a matter of time before the government starts to do something about it.   Enjoy it while you still can...

I wish I could disagree @Raymonizer but you may be right. There is a pattern to this. In the early 2000s, Segway got most state and local governments in the USA to legalize its use in pedestrian areas. Then some clumsy people ran their Segways off the platform in San Francisco and Washington DC, prompting many subways to ban their use past the fare turnstile.

Still, the best hope we have for these continuing to be legal is that enough people get them and like them and businesses profit from them. Governments have a hard time banning something if the people like it and stores are making money selling it. A similar thing happened with Segways here in the USA big cities. Companies started doing Segway tours for tourists and it makes a lot of money. So they let people out on the streets and bike lanes with 15 minutes of training! Accidents like these are the result, but nobody is talking about banning Segway tours even though newbie riders are going every which way and barely able to control themselves.

• 4 weeks later...

Went past a police depot today and was stopped by a Policeman in a patrol car.  Telling me that I was not allowed to ride a EU in Hong Kong.  His partner stayed out of the conversation.  Seeing I was stopped, two police motorbike patrolmen joined the conversation stating the regular "Grey area" in their use.  I whipped out my phone with the press release I posted.  Pointing out the government website address and the exact paragraph where it said they were not prohibited.  After a little time reading it the motorbike patrol man gave a little nod to his comrades and at me and handed me back the phone.

I could feel the atmosphere changed at that point and all cops where asking general questions about the EU in interest like those of the general public that stop me.  During this period of time reassuring them that I would not be one of those douche bags EU users and only ride on cycle lanes and sidewalks and to use my trolly when it is too crowded.  Then after 5 min explaining how EUs worked they said "We have taken up enough of your time, have a safe journey." :)

Cops are not too bad.  I let them all know from the start that I was not challenging them or disrespecting their authority in our conversation and when I needed to say something rather risque (Like last time) I told them I was going to speak off the record.  In general I tried to keep things rather lighthearted and joking a little with them.

IPS T260 - 1000W, 260WH, 19 Kph, 16" Wheel

Times stopped by police - 2

​I think that is the best signature I've ever seen!
:D
Although I do worry what will happen if there is a third time!
~threestrikesandyouareout

Went past a police depot today and was stopped by a Policeman in a patrol car.  Telling me that I was not allowed to ride a EU in Hong Kong.  His partner stayed out of the conversation.  Seeing I was stopped, two police motorbike patrolmen joined the conversation stating the regular "Grey area" in their use.  I whipped out my phone with the press release I posted.  Pointing out the government website address and the exact paragraph where it said they were not prohibited.  After a little time reading it the motorbike patrol man gave a little nod to his comrades and at me and handed me back the phone.

I could feel the atmosphere changed at that point and all cops where asking general questions about the EU in interest like those of the general public that stop me.  During this period of time reassuring them that I would not be one of those douche bags EU users and only ride on cycle lanes and sidewalks and to use my trolly when it is too crowded.  Then after 5 min explaining how EUs worked they said "We have taken up enough of your time, have a safe journey." :)

Cops are not too bad.  I let them all know from the start that I was not challenging them or disrespecting their authority in our conversation and when I needed to say something rather risque (Like last time) I told them I was going to speak off the record.  In general I tried to keep things rather lighthearted and joking a little with them.

​It must have been from the media hype from this incident in Hong Kong.
http://www.appledaily.com.tw/realtimenews/article/new/20150621/632952/

I am linking the "Taiwan site" only because it seems on the original Hong Kong site the video won't play with ad-block on.  Were you riding on the road?

​It must have been from the media hype from this incident in Hong Kong.http://www.appledaily.com.tw/realtimenews/article/new/20150621/632952/

I am linking the "Taiwan site" only because it seems on the original Hong Kong site the video won't play with ad-block on.  Were you riding on the road?

​Yes I was thinking it might have been the case.  I was on a cycle lane, but it runs parallel to the police depot for about 40 meters.

Quote:
(3) There is currently no legislation in Hong Kong prohibiting the sale of electric unicycles on the Internet or in the market. Although electric unicycles cannot be registered and licensed (see the reply to Parts 1 and 4) and hence cannot be driven on roads, the Government is aware that electric unicycles can be used indoor or on other non-road places.

So is a "cycle lane" a "non-road" place?

Quote:
(3) There is currently no legislation in Hong Kong prohibiting the sale of electric unicycles on the Internet or in the market. Although electric unicycles cannot be registered and licensed (see the reply to Parts 1 and 4) and hence cannot be driven on roads, the Government is aware that electric unicycles can be used indoor or on other non-road places.

So is a "cycle lane" a "non-road" place?

​So basically they are saying that an EU can be used anywhere apart from the road... minus places where local security will not allow you to ride, such as shopping centers.  The smallest thing they allow on the road is a bicycle which is exempt from needing to be registered and licensed, but by law is still classed as a "Vehicle".

Apart from a bicycle all other vehicles require registration and licensing.  Transportation that require registration and licensing are all classed as "Vehicles".  So although an EU is a personal transporting device, it is by law not seen as a "Vehicle" as you can't register or license it.  They have no plans currently to write a new law for EUs or change existing laws.

So what is an EU?  By now you probably know what I am going to say but for new people reading this... an EU is a toy!

It's curious to see the security guard culture difference between HK & the mainland. When in Shenzhen last week, I was riding the EU around the Coco Park Shopping Mall—this is probably one of the most prestigious malls in the area—yet there was not a peep from the security guards. Ride up the cycle-overpass lane, sure no problem. Riding on the road? Police smile & make way for you. 

In contrast, while in HK last November, I was constantly being told off by some busy-body, even in a completely deserted open park. The great thing about using your EU in HK is that the general response is even more impressive (from bystanders) than in the West; you get the sense that you've just stepped out of a time portal, fulfilling the Arthur C. Clarke dictum, 'that a sufficiently advanced technology is a indistinguishable from magic..' 

Chuts, where did you find the press release?  I want to be prepared just in case I get stopped by the cops.  and where do you normally go on your EU?

Ray

​Just click on the link of my original post for the press release.  I'm usually around the New Territories area.  With my external battery I have in total 520WH so I can cover a very large area.

I'm not from Germany but i use my airwhell everywhere here...cycle line,pedestrian or on the road without any problem untill now..the polizei just look at me and smile or are just surprised...

I ride also in comercia zone,most of the time without problems but sometimes security guards tell my that ia not allowed with the wheel..sometimes i just ignore them but many of them don't allow if they warn me about that. 

When peoples saw me and i have bags in all my hands..i like to surprise them more and i start to ride it on one foot..and theyvstart to laugh and even to clap :)

GOOGLE TRANSLATE to ENGLISH.  (Not a very good translation but better than nothing)
BTW @Chuts can you read Chinese?

[Sun News Flash] [task force report], "Hot Wheels" fly all around, beware of the French Open! Recent anecdotal play wave known as "Hot Wheels" single wheel electric vehicles, but this reporter a few days ago but Watch more than "a single round knight" in Kwai Chung and Yau Ma Tei rampage, but pulled out of the road, lazy processing speed speeding vehicle; some More on footpaths dashed slope. Since the "Hot Wheels" in speeds up to 20 kilometers and accidentally hit passers may cause serious damage. According to "Road traffic regulations", because the single wheel electric vehicles and can not be registered and licensed in Hong Kong, on the road is an offense, and roads within the cycle track and footpath 亦属 regulations referred to, in other words only suitable for indoor or where other non-road use. Legislative Council lashed out at the authorities should strengthen law enforcement, and public education drive electric vehicles is limited.

"The more people come out and walk more according to family play!" Carry a "Hot Wheels" bus ride "single wheel knight" in the car talking with friends, share play a single round electric car feel. Following the two-wheeled electric scooter, the rise in foreign "Hot Wheels" has recently reached in Hong Kong, more and more people play the Rebels "Speed." However, some "single round knight" ignoring the legislation exit road, process and danger.

Up to twenty kilometers per hour

Recently, this reporter pm Watch a teenager wearing yellow clothes set foot on "Hot Wheels" in Kwai Chung street pavements Ansett flight. His hands in his pockets, in a slope Ansett street straight in the end. Since the site is connected to the road pavement, he no time to stop and observe the road conditions, it rapidly stepped car crossing the road turn left.

When the teenager rushed down the slope, the other dressed in black, "a single round Knight" also happens stepped on the road. Their "Hot Wheels" if uncontrolled, will make themselves ready and passers-by were injured; once caught crossing the road speed of vehicles passing, the consequences even more disastrous.

In addition, the reporter recently also in Waterloo Road, Yau Ma Tei to Kwong Wah Hospital witnessed a young man stepped on the direction of "Hot Wheels" on the road. Although he has to wear a helmet, but sometimes while driving near the roadside, sometimes heading for middle of the road, from time to time with the vehicle passing, the situation is worrying. Shop in Sham Shui Po variety of electric vehicles sold Lee said, "Hot Wheels" is the latest style, has sold off the city and to remind this product has a certain speed, so should be used carefully, "(per hour) go up to two ten kilometers! "

Footpaths cycle tracks prohibitive

According to the Transport Department data, electric unicycle does not belong to vehicle categories specified in Schedule I in the "Road Traffic Regulations", and therefore can not be registered and licensed for use on the road, and the construction and operation of such vehicles would be the users themselves and pose a danger to other road users, the government has not proposed amendments to allow the use of such vehicles on the road. The road referred to include the public can continuously or intermittently into the road, trail and road, etc., and footpaths and cycle tracks 亦属 road, therefore, not driving "Hot Wheels."

Hong Kong Institute of Advanced Motorists main 席蒙海 Qiang, unicycle volatile balance caused by an accident, if traveling on the road, other motorists or difficult to detect, it may be due to blind spots and road accidents, and promote enforcement and is strictly prohibited electric vehicles on the road. Mongolia is also deprecated in the pavement, "the Department of pedestrian four times the normal pace, stems of dangerous it!" He said the treadmill were due to foot off the ground, the ground will withstand the weight ratio of "down to earth" twice as many efforts, coupled with such vehicles in order to promote Morocco hit, if hit by hard objects or passers-by, will certainly increase the degree of injury .

Practicing barrister Luwei Xiong said that if a single wheel electric vehicles belonging to car category, the driver must hold a license before driving license, but the car can not be registered and licensed, so they use when on the road, the violation of traffic regulations, below criminal offenses, including driving without a valid license, and no third party insurance.

Lu added that if the person does not have a driver's license, driving without a license to commit more offenses, first offenders to a maximum fine of $ 5,000 and three months' imprisonment, to run concurrently whether these crimes, would depend on the offender has denied the crimes and their use motivation and other factors. If the electric vehicle operator caused accidents involving casualties and victims make a claim if the former will have to bear all the losses.

Promote education by patrol enforcement

Legislative Council Transport Panel members lashed Fan Guowei, in any way since playing "Hot Wheels" neither legitimate, necessary for the Government to start from public education, and stepped up patrols and enforcement. He said that such tools can legally sell but driving is prohibited in public, the public will know what to do, the authorities should conduct a review.

The police spokesman said that did not keep a single round of electric vehicles involves the number of prosecutions. An AFCD spokesman said, according to the law, no person shall, except Country Parks and Marine Parks Authority's consent, or any vehicle into a country park or special area, or inner drive, use or possession of the vehicle. If the violation of the relevant regulations, the maximum fine of $ 2,000 and imprisonment for three months.

LCSD spokesman said, the single wheel electric car is not exempt to the beach and the playground of the vehicle, if the violation fine of $ 2,000 and imprisonment for 14 days.

I'm afraid we're going to see similar things here, but only AFTER the wheels become legal (so probably next summer). Inexperienced and first-time riders are going to use more crowded bikelanes and even pedestrian walkways for PRACTICING without real control yet "because it's legal", and probably cause havoc. Most will ride without any protective gear. Some less-careful riders will be riding at high speeds near pedestrians or crowded areas. Some more idiotic folks will try riding drunk. Probably at first there's going to be huge interest and hype in EUCs and there'll be hundreds of them within this small town alone. I expect that there are going to be lots of accidents at first, before the interest dies down a bit and only the enthusiasts and more experienced riders are left... :mellow:

Archived