Heidenau K66 Snowtex 80/90-14 lessons learned

RagingGrandpa

• RagingGrandpa changed the title to Heidenau K66 Snowtex 80/90-14 lessons learned

For posterity:

On 5/22/2021 at 11:06 PM, mrelwood said:

Heidenau K66, although in size 80/90-14 and in the more winter capable Snowtex version. So far I’m loving the tire more than my previous all time favorite, the ChaoYang H-666. It really is an amazing tire! For my weight of 102kg + gear, 2.3 bars is a bit much, but 2.0 handles and feels great!

For deep mud, a true knobby is of course still the king, but for everything else I use my V11 for, the K66 is the new king of the block. Fast carving on pavement, very tight 180 turns, reversing, idling on a tiny footprint, and all off-road situations... the K66 is absolute joy and fun, simply better in all regards than the H-666 which was already a nice upgrade to the original.

Turning behaviour? Yes!!! Deep mud? No. Silence? Yes.

In general I’d say that the K66 is a nicer ride. C-186 is still a better choice for extreme off-road only riders.

On 5/29/2021 at 10:50 AM, pkinpdx said:

I have the k66 80/80 on my S18 and I agree its an amazing all season tire.  There are a few street tires with a smoother turn profile but after a few miles I was totally used to the extra nimbleness and throw myself into turns with abandon. 

On 7/7/2021 at 11:45 PM, mrelwood said:

You might want to look into the Heidenau K66 80/90-14 as well!
I haven’t tried the Michelin or other more pavement oriented tires, but for me the K66 is a killer! Silent, stable, comfy, and very grippy.

image.jpeg.98d8a96855552bbe7a7a16a94d923cdc.jpeg

On 10/29/2021 at 6:35 AM, EMA said:

finally mounted Heidenau k66 on my wheel, really love this tire, solid structure and nice grip.

both measured on "classic gotway rim" EXN in this case:

kenda k340            73.6 mm

k66  80/90-14        73.7 mm

IMG_20211029_122028.jpg

IMG_20211029_121925.jpg

On 5/14/2022 at 9:13 AM, stephen said:

Loving the k66

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

I have only experienced the K66 on the V11 rim, which has 51mm of outer and 39mm of inner width. I haven’t had any issues in the valve area, the tube seems to fit fine and the tire isn’t bulged outwards at all. Manual centering is easy and fast, after which the tire runs straighter than any other tire I’ve had.

I only use bicycle tire spoons, which work just fine. Whichever tools you use, remember to lube the tire beads before installing!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Now I have been using Heidenau k66 snowtex 80/90-14 on my V11. This is also available in a 80/80-14 size. The difference is the one with 90 in the name is a bit taller so it is bigger total diameter but also due to this more round in the U profile vs the 80/80 profile is more flat (and less protective for the rim due being less tall).

Since I don't have your EUC models I am not sure how well the fit. But both are for 18"x3" sized EUC. 

It is a moped winter street tire. I found it perform rather well or put it in like: great/fantastic. A huge difference in the wet or the occasional trail ride without loosing the street.

K66motorrad-012_r-1.jpg

Note make sure that webside has the right width as it should be 80, the height can be 80 or 90 depending on shell clearance. So I can have listed number wrong way around as it is some time back I bought these. 

Source from manufacturer:

https://www.heidenautires.com/product/k-66/

Here you can see sizes.

Part reason I like this is no slippery solid centerline in wet riding. And it is very easy to turn yet stable.

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Now I have been using Heidenau k66 snowtex 80/90-14 on my V11.

You reminded me, I still have my K66 sitting in the shed gathering dust. Did you see whether there was any markings on your Snowtex to denote it as such, vs the non-snow version? I never did get to the bottom of it. I know mine had a coloured line going around the tread which I think was blue but I can always check again.

It would just be nice to know exactly what version I have in case it's of any use to someone. I would only want silly money for it, and it's a shame to see it sit in my shed with less than 100 road miles on it!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Planemo said:

would just be nice to know exactly what version I have

Just check the details molded into the sidewall; I think the part number (MPN) is there:

On 3/27/2023 at 12:47 PM, RagingGrandpa said:

K66 M+S Snowtex
Model: HDW40253
MPN: R-239959
UPC: 4027694161493

The summer version has a different MPN and UPC:

K66 (Summer)
Model: HDS40230
MPN: R-238402
UPC: 4027694121497

Edit: I think you can just inspect for "M+S" on the sidewall: 

image.jpeg.ca99179376866449c6653fd881a94786.jpeg

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Unventor said:

Since I don't have your EUC models I am not sure how well the fit. But both are for 18"x3" sized EUC. 

I got 80/80-14 installed on my 18XL. It's size it closer to 18x2.5" (My original tire (CST-1488) where 47.5Cm in diameter. The K66 80/80-14 are 48Cm on the mark in diameter. Making it only 0.5Cm bigger.

Only in width it's an 3" tire.

Edited by Funky

3 hours ago, Funky said:

I got 80/80-14 installed on my 18XL. It's size it closer to 18x2.5" (My original tire (CST-1488) where 47.5Cm in diameter. The K66 80/80-14 are 48Cm on the mark in diameter. Making it only 0.5Cm bigger.

Only in width it's an 3" tire.

Well... How much modification was need (once again I know it didn't fit you KS18XL without these) since it is only designed for 2.5" width tire. Please note I never said anything about tire height as the tread is for 18x3".

Also I did mention that there are option in height depending on shell clearance. The 80/90 snowtex barely fit the V11. The 80/80 is less prove to get gravel or rocks trapped. Yes it has happen to me but since I don't ride max psi the tire gave away and the motor could pull it out. 

@Planemo as of difference it is very little give away just looking at winter version (snowtex) and all season version. Unless you have them side by side I couldn't tell the difference. One had a coloured line very thin. But I am not sure it can be used in identification. When I asked the tire reseller they only got info on the rubber compound was optimised for different temps otherwise the are so close to identical as possible. I have different version but I have not read marking for a long time. 

I don't recall the make of a different winter tire but I posted about this before in the forum. It might perform better in snowy condition going straight but it 8s much harder to turn especially without leaning EUC sideways. Leaning sideways makes EUC more prone to sideway slide outs in 8cy or snowy or sand/muddy conditions. So in this regard I would go by K66. I think the other winter tire is an IRC urban snow evo tire. It looks like this pattern

IRC-SN26.jpg

The center line is grippy which makes it hard to turn. If I recall it was possible to order with or with out studs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

Well... How much modification was need (once again I know it didn't fit you KS18XL without these) since it is only designed for 2.5" width tire.

Only needed to cut tire sides. 

On 1/4/2024 at 6:21 PM, RagingGrandpa said:

Just check the details molded into the sidewall; I think the part number (MPN) is there:

The summer version has a different MPN and UPC:

Edit: I think you can just inspect for "M+S" on the sidewall: 

Ok just checked mine and it doesnt have any of those markings you quoted, or indeed anything like it. There is however a moulded oval section in the sidewall where your 'M+S' is, but on mine its blank.

I can only assume from that that mine is the non snow version :confused1:

Cheers for your help though, at least I am erring far more to it being the regular version.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Planemo said:

your 'M+S'
mine its blank
I can only assume from that that mine is the non snow version

Yup. 

It still might be a fun tire for someone though, and hopefully it'll last longer than the M+S Snowtex (which wears quite quickly). 

p.s. M+S means "Mud and Snow," when associated with tires.

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Like 1