One more question about chargers :)

Lorents

Sorry about all these charging questions...

The manual of my EU's says that the charger should be connected to the EU first and then to the power outlet. Do anyone know why they recomend doing it in this order?

I have noticed that sometimes when I do this it will spark when i connect the plug to the EU. If the charger is connected to the power outlet first this do not seem to happen. Probably no big deal as the spark hopefully is harmless, :)

I think they say to do it in that order to avoid any possibly of the being even a momentary reverse polarity connection as you plug it in.

That could only happen in theory on an old wheel with a damaged plug which is actually more likely to get damaged by the heat from the spark when it is arcing across.

If you managed somehow to connect an unpowered transformer the wrong way round there's no harm done as you just energise an electric coil.

The first time I used my charger I noticed the green light was on even though they plug was off on the wall. The only explanation I could think of was that it was still plugged into my wheel so I thought it must be getting power from that.

Is that a bad thing if the current isn't supposed to go that way?

Not a good idea to leave it connected to the charger when it's not charging as it seems there is no diode fitted to stop the battery from energising the low voltage side coil of the transformer and that will drain power back out of your battery.

Archived