Colored lights illegal on an EUC? (Split from “Inmotion V13 Speculation”)

Paul A

V8|V8F|V8S and V10|V10F default to blue|red LED patterns, but they aren't bright or flashing enough to look like cop lights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEgA84h3BrQ&t=20s

On 3/5/2023 at 6:47 AM, Tasku said:

bicycles must come to a full stop at stop signs and red lights.

California: if crossing the top of a T intersection in a protected bike lane, bikes don't have to stop. It's more clear in the case of stop signs and a bike lane. Each car lane will have "STOP" written on it, while the bike lane will have a forwards arrow.

New York: at about 50 of the intersections in downtown New York, there are pedestrian|bike signals that turn yellow to allow pedestrians and bikes to cross while the main traffic lights remain red (this is done to separate pedestrians|bikes from cars). I recall my wife asking why people on electric unicycles were running red lights on videos, when I explained to her to notice that there were pedestrians and|or bikes crossing at those times, with the yellow pedestrian|bike signals.

Edited by rcgldr

14 minutes ago, rcgldr said:

California: if crossing a T intersection, bikes don't have to stop.

https://maisonlaw.com/safety-laws/do-bikes-have-to-stop-at-stop-signs/

Yes, cyclists in California must obey stop signs.

Despite a 2021 push to allow California cyclists to treat stop signs as yield signs, bicyclists must still observe stop signs and red lights and come to a complete stop.

The “California Stop” Bill for Cyclists Vetoed

California lawmakers were considering the Safety Stop Bill AB122 in 2021.

The bill would have made it legal for cyclists to treat stop signs as yield signs.

However, the bill failed.

The so-called “California Stop” bill was vetoed by Governor Gavin Newsom in October of 2021.

32 minutes ago, rcgldr said:

New York: at about 50 of the intersections in downtown New York

It was a pilot program/initiative in NYC in 2018.

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/news/bikes-can-now-legally-run-red-lights-at-50-intersections-across-nyc-032818

In 2022, there is confusion if it still applies.

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2022/09/06/the-nypd-and-dmv-are-punishing-cyclists-for-legally-crossing-with-the-pedestrian-signal/

3 hours ago, rcgldr said:

bikes don't have to stop

2 hours ago, Paul A said:

https://maisonlaw.com/safety-laws/do-bikes-have-to-stop-at-stop-signs/

Despite a 2021 push to allow California cyclists to treat stop signs as yield signs, bicyclists must still observe stop signs and red lights and come to a complete stop.

There should be a sign under saying: "Does not apply to bicycling" if something does not apply. Hopefully that helps some forum members as rule of thumb. I can see some old campaign and things that did not come to pass could confuse some  users in some areas. 

6 hours ago, rcgldr said:

New York: at about 50 of the intersections in downtown New York, there are pedestrian|bike signals that turn yellow to allow pedestrians and bikes to cross while the main traffic lights remain red (this is done to separate pedestrians|bikes from cars). I recall my wife asking why people on electric unicycles were running red lights on videos, when I explained to her to notice that there were pedestrians and|or bikes crossing at those times, with the yellow pedestrian|bike signals.

5 hours ago, Paul A said:

It was a bad call by the traffic court judge. The law hasn't changed, go to the bottom of page 3:

https://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/downloads/pdf/bicyclerules-english.pdf

§ 19-195.1 – Bicyclist rights and duties at intersection
A person operating a bicycle while crossing an intersection shall follow pedestrian control signals except
where otherwise indicated by traffic control devices, and provided that such person shall yield
to pedestrians in the crosswalk.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rcgldr said:

California: if crossing a T intersection, bikes don't have to stop. It's more clear in the case of stop signs and a bike lane. Each car lane will have "STOP" written on it, while the bike lane will have a forwards arrow.

6 hours ago, Paul A said:

My comment was specific to T intersections with protected bike lanes. Note the limit line does not cross the bike lane on the left side of the T. Also there are no pedestrian crosswalks. 

bklnt.jpg.6052935c291429d51bd7d9d70e901c4e.jpg

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Paul A said:

How do pedestrians cross that intersection?

The area to the left is part of a protected wildlife area and fenced off, no reason to be walking down the left (west) side of that street. Pedestrians would have to walk in the bike lane, which I've never seen other than stranded motorists (car breaks down) or construction workers. On the south (bottom) side of the intersection, there are buttons for bicyclists (or stranded motorists) to cross. 

Edited by rcgldr
  • Thanks 1

Due to the versatility of EUC's, there is a tendency to circumvent the rules of the road that motor vehicles must adhere with or get a ticket. I am guilty as well as many others for not fully obeying the rules of the road. One of my favorite parks to ride in, I sometimes use it like a racetrack and have been chased down by the park ranger and scolded for greatly exceeding the 15mph speed limit. It pays to be respectful and apologetic even though we know exactly what we are doing is wrong. I have received my warnings and will not push it to the point where I get banned from the park.

So, I do my aggressive riding on the trails where the rules of the road do not apply. When I do enter the roadway with traffic, I obey the rules because I don't want to ruin it for everyone else that may ride or get a wheel.

There are only a couple of people in my area with EUC's and if we go around creating havoc and ignore the rules of the road, then restrictions will be applied and squash our fun and the fun for future riders. I have encounter law enforcement on my wheel and have always been very respectful and everything ended well. They have mentioned about the blue lights on the back of my Master when I stop, telling me blue lights were not allowed in Florida on any vehicle except for Law Enforcement. I let them know it changes to red when riding, then demonstrated it for them.  I was just told I should find a way to disable the blue lights to prevent future issues.  So, I just disconnected the rear light cable from the circuit board and use external red led pucks in the rear along with a red laser to put lines on the road behind me.

It is not worth it to fight with law enforcement officers.  Save it for the courtroom if it comes to it, but I have found if you are respectful, apologetic, and cooperative they will let you go without too much grief.

I actually road up to the police academy in my area and many of the officers came over to check out my Master and several took photos of it and with me. It was a positive experience and I bet a couple of them become future EUC riders.  One had commented they should by some for the department and have them customized specifically for them. Who knows, we might see Policy riding around on EUC's in the near future.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 8 months later...

These guys posting all this dumb stuff about blue lights are also probably the same people who flip off police when they drive by them. Don't be an idiot people. Blue lights on public roads are not a good idea. Don't chance it unless you can afford the ticket you'll inevitably get. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

• Upvote 3