How long before you can ride long

2disbetter

My feet get seriously tired. I'm a stronger guy, and I don't fatigue easily. It is most likely that I am riding still way too tense. But I am just having a hard time seeing myself ride for an hour. 

Any tips for learning to relax and not be so tense? 

Side note: I feel VERY comfortable on the wheels. On the V12 HT I can carve and make figure 8s. I can spin around in circle, travel REAL slow, etc. I'm not scared to ride the wheels in any way at this point. I think at speed though I tend to get nervous and clamp the wheel, as I've found this stops wobbles. 

• Like 1

Riding for an hour or so at high speed is tiring, whatever your reference is. Sitting on the wheel from time to time helps though :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

:)

I've been driving EUC since 2014 and I can hopefully say that I don't get tired until the battery is completely empty :) . If the entire control is already only intuitive and you have also got the EUC in a setting that suits you exactly, etc. then I haven't felt tired during slow hiking trips lasting more than four hours. In the case of fast drives, the draining of the battery rather bothers me and I haven't been able to enjoy the drive enough   :(  . So don't worry, because after a while it doesn't matter what kind of shoes, etc.

Of course, all of this does not apply to difficult technical trails, because there is a serious physical load, and the appearance of fatigue is unfortunately inevitable :)

Edited by Raptor
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 2disbetter said:

It is most likely that I am riding still way too tense.

That’s the usual cause. You are using your muscles in a new way, so being strong or even having a good stamina doesn’t help here much. But for how long it takes to be able to relax is surely largely up to the individual. My first 3000km were on wheels with max 14km of range, so I didn’t get to push my limits until later in the game.

Besides @mhpr262’s great checklist above, I’d experiment with different ride modes. A lot of people have recognized by now that hard riding modes are more exhausting. If you want to maximize the comfort, try Commuter mode at 50-70% pedal hardness and you’ll probably already add a lot of range before exhaustion/pain.

I have found hiking boots to be the most comfortable for me. Which makes sense, as they are specifically designed for prolonged times in the standing position, unlike motorcycle footwear.

clamp the wheel, as I've found this stops wobbles. 

Wobbles exist because you’re tense, so that’s a double edged sword. Clamping the wheel is definitely something to learn out from ASAP. If you can’t relax or get wobbles at a certain speed, you’re going too fast for your skills.

Try standing slightly (~1cm) more to the side, so that you’re not hugging the body of the wheel, and so that clamping it would become difficult. But definitely don’t try to break any speed records as you practice new riding positions or fight with exhaustion.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Upvote 3

Thank you everyone. I have had other people tell me that clinching the wheel with my legs to stop wobble is wrong, but I just don't see how being loosey-goosey on the wheel is going to help. I want to try it though. 

That said, I don't experience wobble on the V13 at all. That wheel is so planted and solid. I only get occasional wobble on the V12 HT. I can handle it for the most part. I don't start freaking out or anything, and I just address it. But getting wobble while going 50 is something else. 

I'll try the whole relaxing thing. I agree with you Cerbera on trying to make everything look super easy and that you can do it all super smoothly, etc. I think that is the secret to mastering the wheel. Good thing I really enjoy practicing on these things! Much to my family's chagrin! 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 2disbetter said:

have had other people tell me that clinching the wheel with my legs to stop wobble is wrong, but I just don't see how being loosey-goosey on the wheel is going to help.

I can tell you exactly how it helps ! The wider your stance the more minimal your movements can be to affect direction, the more authority you can exert over the wheel and you get better feedback about where your bodyweight is in relation to what the wheel is doing, so it becomes easier to keep your centre directly over it most of the time.

You are not so much 'loosey-goosey' when trying to fix wobbles as you are 'solidly sinking down' into the wheel, planting the heels in a firm, wide stance, crouching slightly, and exerting your authority that way, rather than by grabbing the shell with your calves, which makes your profile narrower and actually more prone to the tippiness that the wobbling has put there, and with less control over it. If you lock your legs to the shell, and the wobbles become more powerful than your legs can manage, then guess what happens to your legs, and then all of you shortly afterwards ?! ;)

How many total miles do you have under your belt ? A thousand ? Two thousand ?

Two or three hundred is still beginner. Takes time. And miles. 
 I’m still of the opinion that learning on a little wheel is better than these big fast wheels. 

Best,

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, OldFartRides said:

I’m still of the opinion that learning on a little wheel is better than these big fast wheels. 

I second that. I recently got an EX20S (47kg) after more than 10.000 miles on a V10F and a V11 and holy moly that thing is an absolute beast. I wouldnt wish it on anybody having to learn on such a monster. I have about 200 miles on it by now and recently rode my V10F again after that and it only made appreciate the V10F more. It was so nimble, light and effortless compared to the EX20. Anybody who starts out on a huge wheel because "he doesnt want to have to upgrade as soon as he gets bored" is really missing out on the EUC experience with smaller, nimble wheels.

Edited by mhpr262
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, I have found that the V12 HT is just way more nimble. I really do prefer it also for just ease of use and its practicality when it comes to logistic of moving it around and using it. 

I feel more comfortable on the V12 HT, but I can ride both wheels essentially the same. You just feel that you have a lot more wheel and weight to deal with on the V13 when you need to turn, etc. 

As for which I think it is better to learn on? Not sure. I would prefer smaller. 

When you are first starting out the thing you notice the most is just how big the wheel feels. The idea that you can control that with your feet is not something that is intuitive. Not only that, when you are first learning, you are going to drop your wheel more than once for sure. Better to have a lighter wheel in general for that. 

The properties of riding do not really change with wheel size and weight. It all works the same. For this reason, even though I only had the V12 for 2 weeks before the V13 arrived, I was able to get on the V13 right away and ride it around. I don't think this would have been possible had I done that in reverse. 

Honestly though, if I could only have 1 wheel I think I would go with the V12 HT. Yes it doesn't have suspension, and yes its top speed is kind of limited, but for me it is a good mix of range, speed, and weight. I can really see myself using the wheel for commuting, etc. 

That said, the assurance you get with a suspension wheel is pretty high. 

So coming back around to that question? I wouldn't want to get rid of the V13 either. 

3 hours ago, 2disbetter said:

That said, I don't experience wobble on the V13 at all. That wheel is so planted and solid.

that is great to hear. my v13 is still being reworked at my dealer. 

i quit riding 4 years ago and just starting back. certainly not giving advice to anybody how to ride, just reporting my experiences. i never had wobbles. i don't know what leg clenching wobbles are. my feet are practically hanging off the outer edge of the pedals. slightly under 30 mph is the fastest i've ever been on my old 18s over 4 years ago, and now on my s22.: i try to ride ten miles a day, every day. 5 on the s18 and 5 on the s22 on my private road. i'm experimenting with van's skateboarders shoes, and i don't know if it's the non spiked pedals or better suspension of the s18, or the spikes on the s22 pedals, but yesterday my feet were aching from my s22 riding 5 miles. 

now i do notice oscillations between my legs day before yesterday on the s22 on a short section of my road, and not really ignoring it, i just kept riding, and the oscillations stopped in about 20' of travel. it was quite windy, my road has roots and scars on it, and i wasn't going particularly fast, maybe 18mph when i felt it. 

that's why i'm not a fan of pads, although the ones that don't add thickness to the wheel might be nice, idk, i'm just too cheap to try an aftermarket set yet. some say the v13 pads are fine. i'm sure i'll give them a go before i do my yoga mat thing, because they are included. if grizzla wanted to give me a set of their grizzla pads on consignment, i'd happily buy them if they include a return label and free shipping back and forth. 

i ride with the hardest pedal setting the wheel has or i should say, with the ten wheels i've owned so far, and always with the max pressure in the tires until the s18 and s22 and i did drop 5 psi from the max on them to wear in the tires better. 

9bots wheels hardest pedal settings were very loose and gave me mini panic attacks. rideable but really funky. i'd laugh at the z10. the e+ was actually terrifying and i sold it to @litewavebecause he loved the e+. it's a personal choice i think. i don't know if i could ever get use to soft pedals vs hard pedals, but i'll probably not ever ride more than ten, maybe 15 miles daily, if king song ever fixes their s22 suspension. 5 miles on each wheel with Bob glaring at me from the compound is all he'll let me do before yelling at me. i can't ride like @Hirsuteor @picobut like @pico said, he practices 90% and cruises 10%. i'm more like i practice 99.97% and maybe someday i'll cruise .03%. no hurry, just killing time before time kills me. entertainment and handy for getting my amazon deliveries.

i don't know if wheels are more prone to wobbles or not, and evidently i ride differently from others. i stand on the balls of my feet to move forward, on my heels to stop. i'm very particular on placing my feet on the pedals, esp my left foot. a 5mm change towards the front or rearward makes a huge difference on my ability to move forward and more importantly to stop. when i had to do an emergency stop when the cows ran out in front of me, i instinctly did what i use to do with my inline skates with no brakes on them, i swung my right leg behind me and stepped on the ground holding the wheel with my left leg. we have to drag the wheels perpendicular to the pavement to stop on racing inline skates. funny how ur mind does stuff without thinking about it. 

that's why i practice daily. i don't practice freemounting and that's why i suck at it. i will someday i suppose. right now i don't need to but before i leave the ranch and travel around pestrians on sidewalks and multiuse paths, i'll need to to look like i know what i'm doing. one leg riding just seems like magic to me. i'd buy a smaller wheel like @picosuggests if the tires weren't so underrated. i loved the v10f before the fire and the recall. if they get cheap enough, i'll buy another one maybe. and idk if i learn one leg riding on it, will that enable me to do it on the 110 pound v13?

• Like 1

The stock pads that come with the V13 are fine. I really liked them. The only reason I wanted to go with the Grizzla flow pads was because I wanted to be able to affect a but more braking than what I felt was possible on the stock pads. But honestly I think the pads are great from Inmotion. I kept mine just in case I want to switch back to them. 

The stock pads that come with the V13 are fine. I really liked them. The only reason I wanted to go with the Grizzla flow pads was because I wanted to be able to affect a but more braking than what I felt was possible on the stock pads. But honestly I think the pads are great from Inmotion. I kept mine just in case I want to switch back to them. 

one of the reasons i liked the v13 was the slim profile. i don't like the wheel touching my legs except gently during hard turns or dampening oscillations from road irregularities. 

either way, i'll be covering with velcro for the pads or my yoga mat method.

7 hours ago, Cerbera said:

I can tell you exactly how it helps ! The wider your stance the more minimal your movements can be to affect direction, the more authority you can exert over the wheel and you get better feedback about where your bodyweight is in relation to what the wheel is doing, so it becomes easier to keep your centre directly over it most of the time.

You are not so much 'loosey-goosey' when trying to fix wobbles as you are 'solidly sinking down' into the wheel, planting the heels in a firm, wide stance, crouching slightly, and exerting your authority that way, rather than by grabbing the shell with your calves, which makes your profile narrower and actually more prone to the tippiness that the wobbling has put there, and with less control over it. If you lock your legs to the shell, and the wobbles become more powerful than your legs can manage, then guess what happens to your legs, and then all of you shortly afterwards ?! ;)

Well I got to thank you, I took your advice and gave it a shot. The secret seems to be making sure you have  your heels making good contact with the pedals. Then I find I just like having a leg touching the wheel, that gives me my 3 points of contact. I have had the V12HT up to 55 km/h today several times, and was holding at around 48-52 for a good while. Not a wobble in sight. I love both of my wheels a ton, and I just hope my foot endurance improves. It is much easier to ride the V13. 

• Like 3

Wear comfortable shoes. Ride at a lower air pressure. If the tire doesn't like a lower pressure (becomes hard to control), look for a tire that will. Rugged tires last longer but are less comfortable and less tolerant to lower pressures. Don't blindly copy other people's tire advice unless they're a similar weight as you.

Do your pedals provide support for your whole shoe? If not, maybe try larger pedals.

With lower air pressure you can't go over edges as fast, but you can usually find a balance. Be more careful for those few edges, and enjoy more comfort 99% of the time. 

If your air pressure is getting close to the limit then you need to use a pressure gauge and check/tweak it every couple of weeks. If you don't the rim could snakebite(puncture) the inner tube.

Edited by alcatraz

I decided I needed moto boots (low cut) for ankle and general foot protection, but they're hard. So I went through 5 or 6 sets of insoles to see what worked and voilà: Game Changers. They work exceptionally well and I highly recommend them—stumbled on a rider review and they are indeed great (for me, YMMV as always).

https://fpinsoles.com/shop/insoles/custom-arch-support-shock-absorption/gamechangers-custom-orthotics-test/

BUT, your feet have to get used to it... and I move my feet all the time, change how I hold them inside the boot (outside edge, flat etc). The problem with riding EUC is your feet tend to be in the same place for a very long time. Feet were meant to move and change position and squish a little fluid around with every footfall so when you lock them into a single place they will complain.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Upvote 1

Yeah I just picked up some Alpinestar shoes, and they make a big difference, but they will take some getting used to. The stiff soles really do help eliminate wobble though. It is a very noticeable thing. I think what it is really doing is helping you to be more cognizant of the weight distribution, and the shoes just enable that to be placed more uniformly on the pedals. 

Edited by 2disbetter
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ssup2406 said:

May I ask which model you got?

Sure! I got the J6 shoes. They are supposed to be waterproof as well. Not that cheap, but I feel like the shoes will last a while. The soles are also quite grippy. THey remind me of a skate shoe in that regard. 

• Like 1