Learning on my Gotway 18"

Hi to all . I am new to the forum and to the eucs world. I have just bought a IPS 121 from jason and i am loving it . This is my second whell , my first one  is an x3 that i have learned with . But i am enjoing so much the eucs that i would like to have a gotway 18 m super aswell . I would be grateful if you could tell me were you got yours from Shady. I was very impressed with the 2 days shipping.

I am in UK

Hope you have recovered from your injury Shady

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think most of us order either from Kevin Lee or from Jane Mo. If I remember correctly I read somewhere that Shady ordered his from Jane, but I am not sure :)

Received my GW18 yesterday from Kevin. Absolutely love it! Drove 15 kilometres to work today and overtook a few bikes on my way :D

Hello I’m new to this forum and in my opinion it’s one place anyone who is interested in EUC(as John Eucist likes to call it) must visit before deciding whether to get a wheel in the first place and if yes what brand will suit them the best. That being said I consider myself somewhat careful but when I got my GW18 Msuper2  medium and thought I learned how to ride it ( after 2 daysJ) I was cruising and kind of ignoring speed beeps next thing I know I’m flying at about 35 km/h, I can’t stress how grateful I’m I had my wrist guards see attached. Without them I would probably say goodbye to my wrists.  I would really like to see in the next version of GW18 implementation of pedal raise or something of that nature when approaching maximum speed not motor shutdown. Wheel shutoff mechanism doesn’t make any sense it’s like driving a car and once hitting 70 km/h it just suddenly stops I’ll let you draw next picture. Wanted to post this few days ago but my sprained shoulder didn’t agree with me. FYI when getting protective gear, shoulder sling should be included. Few questions to you guys based on the picture do you think it’s still safe to use wrist guards or time to get a new pair? Which is formally front on GW18? 20150621_200847_resized.thumb.jpg.823e39

Hello I’m new to this forum and in my opinion it’s one place anyone who is interested in EUC(as John Eucist likes to call it) must visit before deciding whether to get a wheel in the first place and if yes what brand will suit them the best. That being said I consider myself somewhat careful but when I got my GW18 Msuper2  medium and thought I learned how to ride it ( after 2 daysJ) I was cruising and kind of ignoring speed beeps next thing I know I’m flying at about 35 km/h, I can’t stress how grateful I’m I had my wrist guards see attached. Without them I would probably say goodbye to my wrists.  I would really like to see in the next version of GW18 implementation of pedal raise or something of that nature when approaching maximum speed not motor shutdown. Wheel shutoff mechanism doesn’t make any sense it’s like driving a car and once hitting 70 km/h it just suddenly stops I’ll let you draw next picture. Wanted to post this few days ago but my sprained shoulder didn’t agree with me. FYI when getting protective gear, shoulder sling should be included. Few questions to you guys based on the picture do you think it’s still safe to use wrist guards or time to get a new pair? Which is formally front on GW18? 20150621_200847_resized.thumb.jpg.823e39

Fall from 35km/h sounds really bad, good thing you got at least  some protective gear and didn't hurt yourself bad(?). Not sure on the wrist guards, but I'd guess unless the splint(s) (or separate skid pads, if there are ones, looks like the splint acts also as a skid pad in your model) is/are broken, and it doesn't look like they're about to with any minor hit, they should still be good? Could be wrong though. Also at least some wrist guards allow you to replace the splints/skid pads. 

The common concept seems to be that with wheels without clear "front or back", most people ride with the battery indicators/power button on the right (looking down when you're standing on the wheel), the easiest way is to check the tire rotation direction (there should be an arrow somewhere in the outer tube). That being said, someone pointed out that the tire rotation direction doesn't matter that much with the speeds and weight we get with EUCs, as it's near impossible to get it aquaplaning, and as the motor runs the same in both directions, it probably doesn't matter that much.

I was complaining about the missing pedal tilt or some other warning besides just audio on the Firewheel after the couple of first days I'd been riding it, but am now actually happy that it doesn't have pedal tilt. I've never ridden it all the way to the shut down speed, my "lift tests" have indicated that there clearly is one, don't know if it's bound to motor rpm or voltage drop/current load, but it is there, and done by the main board, as it just stops the motor instead of shutting down the entire wheel (acting similarly as if the wheel had been tilted over 45 degrees). I can now safely cruise near full speed, as I've accustomed to it and can "feel" when I'm going at full speeds, whether I hear the alarms or not. Plus the alarms start coming at lower speeds/under heavy load sooner once the battery has drained a bit, so I mostly just ignore them, because experience has taught me that even close to the top speed is still safe even with low battery (with this specific/individual wheel). The previous owner mentioned that before the BMS shunt, it shutdown a couple of seconds after the last warning, unless you started to slow down, but since shunted the BMS, and I've never had problems riding faster than what he stated the shutdown speed prior to shunt was, and can keep the speed there without fear of shutdown.

It not so much 'shutdown' but pushing the motor that there is no more to give, hense if you tilt forward at top speed, or accelerate too quickly, and you are going to fall down forward rather quickly. So avoiding top speed and quick tilting should be avoided. It is not like a car or bike, where you coast after acceleration, or petal to the floor, you have to have complete control and balance of one wheel... It is the nature and thrill of eus...

​@Luiz, they are now advertised as available on backorder here if you are interested:

http://yorkshireairwheels.co.uk/product/gotway-msuper-18/

Gotway 18  Msuper low speed high torque (type3)

39 degree climbing ability.

top speed 23 kmh

18″ wheel

680wh Li-on Battery

1000w motor 3000w peak

14.8kg

A realistic 28+ miles of distance.

Isn't the top speed 28km/h with ​High torque? And with 680Wh batteries, I think it weighs around 17-18kg, not less than 15kg? Price doesn't sound bad compared to what I've seen,  especially if it contains shipping.

Thanks  Kroy . I have already contact them and they will call me back as soon as the wheels arrive.  I believe you live in York . May i ask you if you know this company?

I do not know them but I like the way they are advertising their business. 

They are completely  honnest about the speed of the wheel and they are selling the high tork version which is the safest  and best one in my humble opinion . I was looking for a high speed but i have learned from the more experienced menbers here that  we must ride within the limits of the wheel and with lots of reserve power if you want to avoid bad surprises . This is even more true if you have heavy bones like myself.?

The price is not bad at all . I am just not sure if 15 kg  is correct . I have seen somewere that it weights more than 17 kg. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Congratlations for them . Finaly we will be able to buy gotways in Uk  and by the looks of it they know their business .

I am loving the IPS 121 . It has surpassed all my expectations so far despite the heavy denands of my 95 kg . I am having loads of fun with it and it has never let me down even when i am pushing it to the limit .

My wife has just learned how to ride in the X3 and i want her to have a very safe wheel  so i will give her the IPS and get the gotway 18 for me.

The fact is that, generally Gotway driver crashes due to too high a speed, and that the engine will cut-off. Not because the torque runs out. Therefore, my personal opinion is that, High Speed version is safer :)
But since man is man, always keep getting run until the cutting :D

Thanks  Kroy . I have already contact them and they will call me back as soon as the wheels arrive.  I believe you live in York . May i ask you if you know this company?

I do not know them but I like the way they are advertising their business.

​Yeah, I'm a Yorkie:D
I emailed last December to enquire about them as I thought at the time, that I was wanting an Airwheel X8 as my next wheel, I only found out about the company when I stumbled across a You Tube video they'd uploaded.

They are the 'Northern Division' of Airwheel apparently & seemed to have a rather slow start, just selling 3 (I think) Airwheel models but now appear to be impressively branching out.
They tried to organise an EU ride during last week's Harrogate Cycle Ride for the first anniversary of the Tour de France start but I couldn't attend as the whole thing was booked up!
They were hoping to be able to start up a 'test centre' which would be very handy but I imagine this is still a way off in the future.
Let us know how you get on!

The fact is that, generally Gotway driver crashes due to too high a speed, and that the engine will cut-off. Not because the torque runs out. Therefore, my personal opinion is that, High Speed version is safer :)
But since man is man, always keep getting run until the cutting :D

​​Can’t agree with you more I’m quite sure my crash was due to high speed ignoring constant beeps… The ride is so smooth on GW18 it’s just asking to go faster. IMHO reason it’s not very popular in USA is because of how dangerous this EUC is.  Motor cutoff can’t be an option for over speeding,   maybe pedal tilt or some other safety precaution but never cutoff.

This cleavage has had many discussions with those who understand a lot of electronics.
Apparently, the alternative engine shutdown is not such a simple thing when you could quickly imagine.
But I think that someone's change in the future.
Hardly anyone wants to shut down the engine under any circumstances.

Why not to have a feature once max speed approached further tilting forward won’t make any difference?  Vee73 bit off topic, any tips on how you learned going backwards? Your backward uphill ride stunt is impressive and I would love to at least learn going backward on the flat surface. Would having a partner help?

If the wheel fails to react when you lean forward at top speed you will still fall forwards as you will over balance.

Think about it and try standing on the floor with your feet in a normal riding position. If you lean forward the only way to stop yourself over balancing is to grab something or step forward to regain your balance. You can't step forward on a wheel travelling at high speed, you step off! 

I'm always willing to discuss cleavages vee73.....
:P:P

​Hehe, Vee uses Google Translate or something similar to translate the boards and writes his posts in Finnish, then translates them to English. I've noticed that sometimes Google Translate does really bad job at translating, some wrong words are minor, but I've seen it turn the meaning of a sentence to COMPLETELY opposite than what was said. (Like "Do something" becomes "Don't do something" in Finnish...)

Hmmm. I do not have no specific tips for driving in reverse. In fact, I practiced using pain :) I fell, I fell and fell. Until it started to go. But I have noticed that many of my friends can quite easily also be run in reverse.
I am a slow learner and I had to do a lot of work to learn to drive.
Others need to learn to be patient and continue practicing. I think that your partner does not help much.

Exactly. I use the Google translator, because otherwise I will not be able to communicate with you. But I learned even more consistently.
I'm sorry that you will have to read between something that I do not really mean.
:)
Sometimes one comma between the words change the meaning of the entire sentence in the final translation.
I try to check my understanding small translations, but always it is not helping anything :D

Vee73, have you translated 'cleavage' back to Finnish yet?:P
You know - just to keep a-breast of things...
You don't want to look a tit...
You might think I'm milking this for all it's worth...

Disclaimer: all the above ARE jokes!;)

Archived