Upgraded (major) to newest forum software version. Report bugs and give feedback here please.

John Eucist

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The forums have been acting weird today, since about 10 hours ago I noticed that while the main-page ("Home") shows newest messages in subforums (like General Discussion etc), entering the sub-forum I only see my own message from 10 hours ago as the newest and nothing after that. If I enter a topic, it shows up correctly with the new messages, just not when I'm looking at the sub-forum. Don't know what's up with that. EDIT: Also the post count stays the same in "Home"-view, even when I know there have been messages added to the sub-forums.

Also, I tried if it helps to logout & back in, but something was wrong with the file permissions (similar problem as here: http://community.invisionpower.com/4bugtrack/cant-access-website-fatal-error-r6264/), and I couldn't get back in until now  :D (give me a shell-access to the server and that would have been sorted in 2 minutes, if I had root- or high enough privileges ;)).

Edit: Seems to be working fine again, the new posts are showing in sub-forums and the post count goes up in the home-page.

The forums have been acting weird today, since about 10 hours ago I noticed that while the main-page ("Home") shows newest messages in subforums (like General Discussion etc), entering the sub-forum I only see my own message from 10 hours ago as the newest and nothing after that. If I enter a topic, it shows up correctly with the new messages, just not when I'm looking at the sub-forum. Don't know what's up with that. EDIT: Also the post count stays the same in "Home"-view, even when I know there have been messages added to the sub-forums.

Also, I tried if it helps to logout & back in, but something was wrong with the file permissions (similar problem as here: http://community.invisionpower.com/4bugtrack/cant-access-website-fatal-error-r6264/), and I couldn't get back in until now  :D (give me a shell-access to the server and that would have been sorted in 2 minutes, if I had root- or high enough privileges ;)).

Edit: Seems to be working fine again, the new posts are showing in sub-forums and the post count goes up in the home-page.

​Yeah I reported it to Invision yesterday (they host it too) and they fixed it.  No idea why it "suddenly happened".

Can not view photos properly have to download pics to view zoomed-in.

​I think this only happens to SOME of the past posts due to the upgrade process.  Please let me know if any of the newer posts (since May 19) are doing this.

Hi John,

Can you change the setting that allows you to search as few as 2 characters? There are times I'm looking for a posting for 2 letter model/make of something (e.g. LG, TG, etc) and it doesn't yield results because it's too short. But I KNOW the post is there so I have to manual go through the different pages. It's not a huge problem now but as this forum gets older it's going to be a big hassle.

Hi John,

Can you change the setting that allows you to search as few as 2 characters? There are times I'm looking for a posting for 2 letter model/make of something (e.g. LG, TG, etc) and it doesn't yield results because it's too short. But I KNOW the post is there so I have to manual go through the different pages. It's not a huge problem now but as this forum gets older it's going to be a big hassle.

​Not a bad idea but your point about the forum getting older is also the reason it's not a good idea to allow 2 letter searches!
If you search for EU for example, the more postings there are, the more likely the search will pick up on words like: euro, amateur, aneurysm, neutron, neurotic, chauffeur, closeups, entrepreneur, eulogise, euphemism, euphoric etc.

If it's possible to set the number of characters low, then why not I suppose - and then it's up to the person searching, to deal with the number of results.

​Not a bad idea but your point about the forum getting older is also the reason it's not a good idea to allow 2 letter searches!
If you search for EU for example, the more postings there are, the more likely the search will pick up on words like: euro, amateur, aneurysm, neutron, neurotic, chauffeur, closeups, entrepreneur, eulogise, euphemism, euphoric etc.

If it's possible to set the number of characters low, then why not I suppose - and then it's up to the person searching, to deal with the number of results.

Searching a low number of characters with high amount of posts will also be much slower and put more pressure on the underlying database (which is probably some form of SQL-DB, I'd suspect MySQL with MyISAM-tables for faster text searching). The search probably has some form of "cool down", ie. you can't do massive search quickly one after another to prevent users from doing an (unintended) denial-of-service -attack on the database.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I spend a lot of my free time in user forums like Helifreak. Usually I am using Tapatalk on my mobile for reading and posting. It is very comfortable, I use push notifications etc. Could you integrate a plugin to use Tapatalk with this forum? 

Manu

Hi,

I spend a lot of my free time in user forums like Helifreak. Usually I am using Tapatalk on my mobile for reading and posting. It is very comfortable, I use push notifications etc. Could you integrate a plugin to use Tapatalk with this forum? 

Manu

​Will have to look into whether a plugin exists for the OPTION for tapatalk.  Is the existing mobile interface for this forum not as good as tapatalk?

Hi,

thanks for your response. I saw a quick Plugin setup guide on their Website. I am nut sure how easy it is to implement...
Tapatalk is nice if you have more than one Forum. You have a nice overview, have push notifications for your abonnements. You save some cellphone network traffic I guess as you don´t reload whole sites. The app stores the threads you have read and jumps to the correct position if you have unread posts... I am a little bit surprised you did´t know it yet...
Maybe it also helps with increasing the amount of members as your forum will be listed in the tapatalk App. This was my first search when I was looking for a EUC Forum - with no result. You will be the first ;-)

Manu

I think one of the toughest obstacles about EUCs is overcoming the learning hurdle. I've barely made progress after 3-4 days.. moving no more than a few feet unassisted.

Would like to request a feature to make an area meetup sub forum. Since the hobby's popularity still is not at critical mass where I can I just go to the park and run into people that know how to ride. 

In case not I'm in Brooklyn :)

I think one of the toughest obstacles about EUCs is overcoming the learning hurdle. I've barely made progress after 3-4 days.. moving no more than a few feet unassisted.

Would like to request a feature to make an area meetup sub forum. Since the hobby's popularity still is not at critical mass where I can I just go to the park and run into people that know how to ride. 

In case not I'm in Brooklyn :)

​Good idea.  What do you guys think?  @esaj , @Gimlet , and @^tom^ .  How do we structure that sub-forum?  Just one sub-forum and let users post locations or do we predefine areas etc. or what?

​Good idea.  What do you guys think?  @esaj , @Gimlet , and @^tom^ .  How do we structure that sub-forum?  Just one sub-forum and let users post locations or do we predefine areas etc. or what?

Not sure, predefining areas probably won't work, as if we go down to country-level, there's around a couple of hundred countries, and if we'd create separate sub-forums for continents only, it wouldn't be that precise (there'd still be a lot of different countries/places under the same one), so it wouldn't be that useful either... so maybe just one sub-forum and some instructions how the threads should be named, like Country/City/(Possibly more precise location, if the city is large or has many meetups) or such, probably the most recent and up-coming meetups would stay on top of the forum by themselves, as they'd have the most recent posts?

Sometimes I have to press the "Mark forum as read" to get rid of the "unread" indicator of a sub-forum even though I have read all the posts.  Anyone else encounter this?  I suspect it has something to do with moved posts from one sub-forum to another.

Sometimes I have to press the "Mark forum as read" to get rid of the "unread" indicator of a sub-forum even though I have read all the posts.  Anyone else encounter this?  I suspect it has something to do with moved posts from one sub-forum to another.

I've had this once today, don't remember it occurring ever before... Not sure what triggered it, but the home-page would show unread topic(s) under General Discussion, but there was nothing there. And yes, using "Mark forum as read" got rid of it

Archived