Veteran Patton 16" 126v 2220wh

Mango

1 hour ago, Cobaltsaber said:

so.. the sherman-s?

Weighs (even) more, and the tire is bigger. In the electric dreams video he says how nice it is to have the more nimble smaller tire of this wheel. At least that's what I want (but more range).

1 hour ago, BKW said:

If this wheel had more battery it would literally be perfect for what I'm looking for (this ISN'T to say it's not perfect for someone else's needs/wants). I really like how they addressed the pedals with better spikes and the trolley handle. I feel like these were a lacking point on the sherman-s. The toe jump pad is an additional bit of awesomeness. I think LK's overall quality, including the durability, is of top-notch in the EUC world right now. I'm impressed with the Patton!

Exactly my thoughts!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rollin-on-1 said:

Ewheels offers a street tire for the Patton.  A Chao Yang H626.  Does anyone have any experience with this tire?  Does it behave like the H666?

https://www.chaoyangmotorcycletire.com/index.php/pro/pro-details/6/200?type=TRICYCLE&name=H626

I got some really positive feedback on the H626 from peporider from the Veteran ShermanTelegram.  Sounds like it will be a great street tire for the Patton.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rollin-on-1 said:

I got some really positive feedback on the H626 from peporider from the Veteran ShermanTelegram.  Sounds like it will be a great street tire for the Patton.

That's good news.

And they make the 3.00-12 tire size for two rim sizes:

(1) 1.85"

(2l 2.15"

My enthusiasm waned after my vernier indicated my V12 rim width is only about 1.5".

On 3/23/2023 at 2:36 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

They are just more honest about the tire size

I don’t think there to be anything more honest in using a different sizing mechanisms and standards than other manufacturers, or what used to be standard in the scene. They use the outer tire diameter, while none of the tire manufacturers do. How come a so called 17” tire says 16”x3” right on the sidewall? How come you can replace a so called 20” tire with an 18” tire? Try doing that on a car or a motorcycle. Or a bicycle for that matter.

On 3/24/2023 at 3:37 AM, drader said:

Bicycle tire sizing has always been a dumb way to categorize, so I vote we move to motorcycle/scooter sizing, which accurately describes the rim: 12" or 14" in this case.

I agree so much that I want to hug you! We can call it R12 and R14 (like car tires) to make it clear which measurement we’re talking about. 

The T4/Patton tire has an overall diameter of 18.15", which is almost identical to the MSX and 18XL

Not quite, the MSX had a 18x3 tire that had an outer diameter of something like 19.4”. 18XL with it’s 18x2.5” tire was something like 18.5”.

Btw, the stock MSX tire had an installed maximum width of 2.7”. Shouldn’t we call the MSX a 19.4” x 2.7” wheel? I transformed mine to be a 20.1” x 3.1” wheel though…

The 12-3.0 tire

You mean 3.00-12 tire.

13 hours ago, techyiam said:

And they make the 3.00-12 tire size for two rim sizes:

(1) 1.85"

(2l 2.15"

My enthusiasm waned after my vernier indicated my V12 rim width is only about 1.5".

I think that the EUC manufacturers have been quite off in matching the rim widths to what the tires are designed for. I’d have zero issues riding a 1.5” rim with a tire that’s designed for a 1.85” rim. My guess is that we’ve been worse off on some models anyhow.

• Like 2

First teardown of the Patton from Kevin over at E-rides...

In summary, pretty solidly built, some concern over flappy mudguards, and tyre change looks like a nightmare, but otherwise - pretty decent !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

First teardown of the Patton from Kevin EUC Rides...

In summary, pretty solidly built, some concern over flappy mudguards, and tyre change looks like a nightmare, but otherwise - pretty decent !

I also heard the front handle will be extended/lifted more upwards. More easily plug in charger. (Don't know if it's true, or not.)

Yeah - it looks good. Doh weight isn't good. :D 

This "initial look" video will have English subtitles in a day or so:

• Like 2

I dont know if this is too offtopic...... but here is a novel battery chemistry that is double the capacity/kg.  Seems like this may be closer to production than the 275 other novel chemistries out there.  Sorry, I know new battery-tech is a dime a dozen.  This one just seemed legit and close to something we could see in our wheels soon

I really think in 10 years we may see a Patton size wheel that weighs 70 lbs and has the range of todays 3600wh wheels.  We will all be the old timers in the group ride telling the youngins how we had to ride 110lb wheels that only went 70 miles back in the day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wstuart said:

I dont know if this is too offtopic...... but here is a novel battery chemistry that is double the capacity/kg.  Seems like this may be closer to production than the 275 other novel chemistries out there.  Sorry, I know new battery-tech is a dime a dozen.  This one just seemed legit and close to something we could see in our wheels soon

I really think in 10 years we may see a Patton size wheel that weighs 70 lbs and has the range of todays 3600wh wheels.  We will all be the old timers in the group ride telling the youngins how we had to ride 110lb wheels that only went 70 miles back in the day.

There’ll be no tyres to change by then either, likely as not, lol! (I posted the link to this video in another thread, the video one, Istr).

On 3/26/2023 at 5:56 PM, wstuart said:

I really think in 10 years we may see a Patton size wheel that weighs 70 lbs and has the range of todays 3600wh wheels.

I really hope so. But there is something else in the current trend that needs to change as well. The Patton weighs 31kg (68lbs) already without any batteries. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

I really hope so. But there is something else in the current trend that needs to change as well. The Patton weighs 31kg (68lbs) already without any batteries. 

I thought 2023 would be the year of lightweight 12" rim wheels. It seems we havent bucked off the trend of heavyweight performance beasts even in the smaller wheel category. I wanted something lightweight with 1800wh, but it seems the patton is built heavy even before the batteries. More waiting I guess

• Upvote 1

On 3/26/2023 at 10:56 AM, wstuart said:

classic...

I thought 2023 would be the year of lightweight 12" rim wheels. It seems we havent bucked off the trend of heavyweight performance beasts even in the smaller wheel category. I wanted something lightweight with 1800wh, but it seems the patton is built heavy even before the batteries. More waiting I guess

It isn’t too easy to make lightweight wheels that don’t break easily, and you can bet that such materials don’t come cheap. Not so long ago, folk were getting all bent outta shape because their rims were, er, getting all bent outta shape.

Im beginning to think its kinda tough being the manufacturer!

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Freeforester said:

It isn’t too easy to make lightweight wheels that don’t break easily, and you can bet that such materials don’t come cheap. Not so long ago, folk were getting all bent outta shape because their rims were, er, getting all bent outta shape.

Im beginning to think its kinda tough being the manufacturer!

If people didn't jump and ride like dipshits.. Their rims would not get bent - one could argue. :D Somehow i'm not bending any rim with my ~280lbs heavy ass.

Making lightweight wheel is easy. They just need to stop adding speed/power/range into smaller wheels. Otherwise they become same thing as "big wheels". (They already have many copy/paste options given from older models. Simply upgrade them.)  -Veteran Fatton is good example what "lightweight" wheel should not be.

The motor and batteries should be the most heavy thing in EUC. Body needs only solid exoskeleton, that hold everything together. Add some aluminum boxes around battery/board and you have a wheel. :D 

Edited by Funky

18 minutes ago, Funky said:

The motor and batteries should be the most heavy thing in EUC. Body needs only solid exoskeleton, that hold everything together. Add some aluminum boxes around battery/board and you have a wheel. :D 

Isn’t this the T4

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/21/2023 at 9:39 PM, techyiam said:

Here is a review of the Veteran Patton from Jack ex-Kingsong.

The first wheel since the RSHS that has me wide-eyed and at full attention. 

I LOVE the adjustable jump pad, the heavy duty handle bars and the general crash proof nature of the design. I do wish the side panels could have been wider horizontally to accommodate for people like me who like having their heels off the pedal but who still like using a breaking power pad.

Sure 39kg IS 11kg more than the RSHS but I might just get this as my next wheel unless something of superior rigidity is released from gotway which I very much doubt.  Well, at least I spent the past year lifting so I'm ready. 

Edited by xiiijojjo

30 minutes ago, Cobaltsaber said:

Everything is give and take, but a smaller wheel im not going to full send 40+mph so it doesnt need to survive those type of crashes. Only the hardcore full send riders complained about the old plastic shell wheels breaking. Id give up a bit of durability for weight for a 35mph cruiser, 1800wh. I have my big beefy wheel already. Alot of people asking for v10f, 16x, 18XL equivalents. Maybe add ~20lbs for suspension. The T4 comes closest to that so far and doesnt seem that much worse in durability than those plastic wheels

It is tough being the manufacturer meeting everyone's wants, but I dont really see who asked for the patton besides a very niche set of people who didnt already buy an s22 or master. More options is always better for the consumer

I agree the more choice the better, especially if the alternatives are the KS S-22 and or the Begode Master/T4, their records on durability and reliability are well enough documented already. The Patton my be the ‘Tonka toy’ in the line-up, but as I recall they were popular and rather durable. If you’re looking for a Begode 35mph 1800Wh cruiser, I’d recommend the MSP HS, which was/is still a pretty good and not heavy, not overbuilt wheel two or three seasons ago. Still loving mine! 

But as far as demand side goes, the manufacturers make their products, but nobody is forced to buy them. I think you may be surprised as to the popularity of the solidly built Patton when it arrives, even if it isn’t for you personally. The crash-testing video clips looked pretty convincing, and not only to me.        

BTW the name for the ‘very niche’ set of people is the prudent, patient Patton purchasers (who prefer not being peed off by plumping for pi55 poor products)

Edited by Freeforester

55 minutes ago, xiiijojjo said:

The first wheel since the RSHS that has me wide-eyed and at full attention. 

I LOVE the adjustable jump pad, the heavy duty handle bars and the general crash proof nature of the design. I do wish the side panels could have been wider horizontally to accommodate for people like me who like having their heels off the pedal but who still like using a breaking power pad.

Sure 39kg IS 11kg more than the RSHS but I might just get this as my next wheel unless something of superior rigidity is released from gotway which I very much doubt.  Well, at least I spent the past year lifting so I'm ready. 

For those who want a wheel like the Sherman-S but want a wheel that is somewhat easier to ride, lower price, and don't need the range or the extreme top speed, then the Patton can appear to be a more attractive alternative to the Sherman-S. 

However, after watching the technical inspection of the Patton by Kevin (Euc Uigrades), I am not certain how rigid is the structure formed by the battery boxes, top plate, and the suspension struts. Additionally, the controller board isn't in a sealed, self contained module. They merely slap the board on top of the top plate and silicone a cover on top.

However, in the tumbling and barrier crash test, the Patton did not break apart and appear to be still intact. So, this is a good sign. But for myself, I have to wait for field data to really know whether structural rigidity need to be a concern.

I having some reservations right now. This wheel doesn't seem to be designed to be readily serviceable.

I am seeing more Gotway DNA in this wheel than I would like.

However, the parts themselves are nice. The motor, and FastAce suspension struts look good.

Edited by techyiam
  • Upvote 2

Everything is give and take, but a smaller wheel im not going to full send 40+mph so it doesnt need to survive those type of crashes. Only the hardcore full send riders complained about the old plastic shell wheels breaking. Id give up a bit of durability for weight for a 35mph cruiser, 1800wh. I have my big beefy wheel already. Alot of people asking for v10f, 16x, 18XL equivalents. Maybe add ~20lbs for suspension. The T4 comes closest to that so far and doesnt seem that much worse in durability than those plastic wheels

It is tough being the manufacturer meeting everyone's wants, but I dont really see who asked for the patton besides a very niche set of people who didnt already buy an s22 or master. More options is always better for the consumer

You know that suspension weights 2-5kg only.. At least on smaller wheels. V11 suspension alone is under 2kg. (If i'm not wrong, going off by memory..) 20lbs are crazy weight for suspension... (At least crazy weight on 40-60lbs wheel.)

But rest what you said are spot on. 35mph cruiser, with 1000-1500Wh battery would be amazing.

Edited by Funky
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Funky said:

V11 suspension alone is under 2kg.

Yup. Both lower rails, both upper rails, and both shocks are 1.8kg total. I didn’t count in the handle or the side panels because they would be needed even without the suspension.

The lower rails also function as pedal brackets, so one could say that only half of them should be weighed, but I think 1.8kg is already a low enough number so I decided to be generous…

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

On 3/25/2023 at 5:17 PM, mrelwood said:

We can call it R12 and R14 (like car tires) to make it clear which measurement we’re talking about. 

That would keep up the tradition of confusing tire specifications. R in car tires mean radial ply structure. Almost all EUC tires are using bias ply. It should be called B12 and B14.

• RagingGrandpa changed the title to Veteran Patton 16" 126v 2220wh