List the top wheels for least reported cutouts.

jmsjms

Reported to who ? :) Isn't that a bit like asking how many birds are in flight at any one time across the world ? - there is nowhere that has definitive data like this AFAIK. Also, there is no sense in looking at numbers of cut-outs without also knowing the context in which each one happened.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Upvote 2

Reported to the web for others to know... because if it is reported only to the manufacturer, then it's likely that it will not be revealed because business always tries to hide its own negatives... otherwise it loses profits.

Is somebody here on this site keeping track of reported cutouts on various models?

Edited by jmsjms

My point remains - who is aggregating such data ? No1 that I know of ! It would take all day every day to be logging that, and who can afford that sort of time and effort ? I reckon the best you'll get is a 'general feeling' in the community for brands that 'tend' to cut out less than others. And that data really won't count for much. For a start you'd have to separate 'cut-out' from 'crash', which is a mammoth and nebulous / indefinite task in itself !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, jmsjms said:

You never know, there are so many EUC enthusiasts.

There is a list for battery fires, specifically, because they happen infrequently enough for that to be vaguely manageable. Cut-outs would take a lot more effort to track. But hell - you never know I may be wrong, and there may a list somewhere I haven't heard about !

2 hours ago, Cerbera said:

For a start you'd have to separate 'cut-out' from 'crash', which is a mammoth and nebulous / indefinite task in itself !

Oh, I meant cutout during riding -- which is followed most likely with a crash (unless the wheel was going at very low speed -- which enabled the rider to jump off the wheel and walk away).

Edited by jmsjms

1 hour ago, jmsjms said:

Oh, I meant cutout during riding -- which is followed most likely with a crash (unless the wheel was going at very low speed -- which enabled the rider to jump off the wheel and walk away).

And I meant the difference between genuine 'unprovoked' cut-out and user-error which caused one !

For example, I could report that my Gotway MS3 never cut out on me at all in 5 years, but that would mean nothing unless I also mentioned that I never once exceeded its 'proven safe speed' of 32 kph. But had I ridden that to its limits constantly, and done silly things with it, then it would have dropped me loads more.

Let's take another case of a cut-out on a Begode Master I read about the other day... On the surface that seems to cut out for no reason at all on a sunny day 10 minutes into 15 mph ride that should be well within its limits. Begode's fault ? No. User-error - he had ridden it in the rain and through puddles all the day before, without doing any of the waterproofing it requires, then powered it off and left it on its side all night for the water to bleed all over the charge board.

Do you see what I mean ? Cut-out statistics alone mean almost nothing.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Upvote 2

The wheel with least amount of cutouts - are wheels with mindful owners. Owners who doesn't push wheel limits. Doesn't ride beeps and such.

If user isn't being a dipshit and such. The wheel won't cutout ever. :D (Ofc if the software isn't to blame. Or something suddenly going highwire.) 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

Do you see what I mean ? Cut-out statistics alone mean almost nothing.

But if they are separated into categories of what kind of cutout, then wouldn't the stats mean more? You just listed several different categories.

1 hour ago, Josiah said:

Some riders have turned the beeps off entirely and monitor speed visually instead.  You could pipe the beeps into a headset but I’ve heard it’s too much of a distraction.

Personally, I like having beeps in my headset. It takes a little bit of adjusting to set your thresholds correctly, but having speed-based or PWM-based beeps in my helmet is a huge plus.

• Like 1

By producing such a list, you're inadvertently going to change it. Why? Because riders are going to ride less carefully on those wheels and mess up their statistics.

Begode wheels are more represented in failures but they also have a majority of the enthusiasts. If you ride a Begode slow, will it fail more often than a Kingson ridden fast? Probably not.

• Upvote 1