1000 miles on my V8F

rcgldr

How is it going? Do you experience any physical issues from riding? How much longer do you think you can keep on riding? Im 48 but I  have been battling the last couple of months with numbness in the soles of my feet. Not sure where it comes from but I supect it from riding so much  (11.000 miles since October 2020), with many long, multi hour trips. 

44 minutes ago, mhpr262 said:

How is it going? Do you experience any physical issues from riding?

I was getting some calf muscle pain after 15 to 20 minutes of riding, probably a circulation issue, but switching from old tennis shoes to hiking boots seems to have solved that problem. My longest ride without a break is 34 minutes, so I don't know what my limit is. Between the EUC, sports, and working out with free weights, depending on frequency, my leg muscles can get tired, but I recover in a day or so.

Some guy that is 74 at one of the forums has posted he still rides, but I don't know what shape he is in.  I'm in decent shape, due to the free weights and moderate cardio.

5 hours ago, rcgldr said:

I was getting some calf muscle pain after 15 to 20 minutes of riding, probably a circulation issue

Might also have been pedals that were tilted too far back. Hiking boots have a bit higher heels than tennis shoes, if they made the pain go away that might be an indication that it was indeed so. Many people have the pedals tilted slightly backward because it feels good and safe at first, but it really puts a strain on one's calves in te long run. Another reason for calf pain is that any people dont stand stand far enough forward on the pedals, that also puts a ton of strain on the calf muscles because one has to lean forward so much to make the wheel "go"

Edited by mhpr262

4 hours ago, mhpr262 said:

Hiking boots

In addition to higher heels, the boots have ankle support reducing some of the strain on calf-muscles, and they have thicker, cushioned soles inside. Two of the places I ride at are bumpy like seams in concrete, and I have to bend my knees more. If I ride on the smooth bike lanes on streets, I don't have to bend my knees much and I'm not getting the calf muscle issue. Since the boots solved the problem, I went back to level pedals and feet centered. 

The V8 is pretty tough on the feet, with its smaller pedals and  narrower tire. It's better suited for really lightweight riders.

If you're heavier then it would help to put larger pedals on. Make sure the tire pressure isn't too high does wonders. But with a narrow tire it's always risky to go too low.

Personally I ride with borderline too low pressures because I've learned how to cope with the issues that can come. No jumping. No going over sharper edges etc. Slow down a lot when encountering an obstacle. Check the pressure often and top up when needed (get a good gauge). Ride as wide a tire as you can fit. (keep a spare inner tube at home because riding low pressure wears them out faster)

And as mentioned, adjust the angles. Check the stance so you're not riding too tense. 

Thay way you can maximize your comfort.