how do u clean ur wheel?

novazeus

do u clean it? 

how do u do it?

i use to clean rc helis with a compressor blowing 99% isopropyl on them and wiping with paper towels. they get filthy wih rotor wash and the nitro methane exhaust. 

my s22 is just covered in myakka sand right now. 

i'm just talking overall cleaning. 

the old wheels i had were covered in plastic, but the s18 and s22 with their guts exposed, have more places for sand to reside. the old wheels it wasn't visible.

I hardly ever do TBH, but if has been raining a lot, or if I have been through a lot of puddles and mud, out on trails, or there has been a side-over or unintentional dismount, I go over the bodywork with a damp J-cloth, then microfibre glove to dry everything off. If I have been over sand or by the sea I am more careful, and ride it through a few freshwater puddles first, then soft brush any grit out of the wheel once it has dried off a bit.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, novazeus said:

do u clean it?

wait.

Are you supposed to clean these things? (kidding)

I haven't cleaned the S22 yet, but my other wheels get a gentle bath with a slow stream of water from a hose. The wheel is at all times VERTICAL. No water directed 'up' and the top part is wipe only, no shower action near the motherboard. S18 is pretty good with wet and S22 went through a thunderstorm on one of its demo rides without problem. Neither can swim. Just saying! 

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

what do u think about the way i use to clean my helis?

rchelis have bearings everywhere, but i'd just not get near those. 

and the 99% alcohol evaporates almost immediately.

i just don't know if alcohol would be too caustic for some of the internal parts. 

do u think 99% alcohol would be too strong for the stock sliders on my s22?

BTW, given that you're riding around on a ranch, you might want to get good at lifting the wheel while controlling the wheel's speed (tip forward and back gently). Then you can rinse the tire and wheel well by letting the tire spin in a shallow trough of water. Sh1t (so to speak) goes everywhere, but it does clean things out nicely.

5 minutes ago, novazeus said:

do u think 99% alcohol would be too strong for the stock sliders on my s22?

should be fine. I think the plastic slider bits are delrin. They're really tough, they laughed at acetone followed by 70% IPA when I cleaned the factory glue off.

I'd stick to water and dish soap personally (once they're clean), no sense in using anything harsher if it doesn't need it.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

BTW, given that you're riding around on a ranch, you might want to get good at lifting the wheel while controlling the wheel's speed (tip forward and back gently). Then you can rinse the tire and wheel well by letting the tire spin in a shallow trough of water. Sh1t (so to speak) goes everywhere, but it does clean things out nicely.

should be fine. I think the plastic slider bits are delrin. They're really tough, they laughed at acetone followed by 70% IPA when I cleaned the factory glue off.

I'd stick to water and dish soap personally (once they're clean), no sense in using anything harsher if it doesn't need it.

i know water causes fires. in florida, with our humidity, and me without proper hvac, my wheel will never dry. i worry about condensation. some times i wrap my wheels in garbage bags and throw in some rechargeable dessicant packs. 

do u think this myakka sand will harm anything? i've not taken mine apart, and don't really care if it's dirty. yeah, there's cow shit everywhere here. 

maybe just a paint brush and dust it off. 

if i get new replacement sliders, i'll take a look inside and see what i think. 

if they are delrin, in my case, that might be better out here. 

i'm sleeping in here and pretty soon i'll have 8k plus of li-on batteries between me and my door. would be quite the blaze. yes, i'm very battery paranoid. 

everything rusts in florida.

thanks for ur advice as always.

I only ever brush my V11 with an old used snow brush made for cars. Dust and sand will get sufficiently off to please the eye. I don’t see a point in washing the wheel or otherwise making it squeaky clean, since it’ll have a layer of dust immediately on the next ride anyway.

• Like 2

I put mine in shower and wash it from all sides with shower head. I normally turn it upside-down and fill the wheel well full of water, then tip it over like a bucket. At the end it's squeaky clean. :) 

Jk. I don't do anything. Have owned it for ~1 year - no cleaning whatsoever.

Edited by Funky
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Rawnei said:

S22 in the shower with hot water if necessary, quick and easy!

I never know if people are joking or not on here :)

And yet there are videos of Gotway themselves hosing down a Master, though I wouldn't ever consider doing that myself, even with my additional waterproofing measures.

But unlike my car (for some reason), I do like to keep my wheel looking fairly smart, and am quickly realising that choosing a black and white colour scheme perhaps wasn't the best idea when you have a mudguard as rubbish as mine - consequently, in the wet season there has been a rather a lot of wiping down :)

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

And yet there are videos of Gotway themselves hosing down a Master, though I wouldn't ever consider doing that myself, even with my additional waterproofing measures.

But unlike my car (for some reason), I do like to keep my wheel looking fairly smart, and am quickly realising that choosing a black and white colour scheme perhaps wasn't the best idea when you have a mudguard as rubbish as mine - consequently, in the wet season there has been a rather a lot of wiping down :)

S22 only has two ingress points of which I protected both of them, around the power-button (put thin layer of silicone around it) and the charge ports (I have a 3D print solution for that), even without waterproofing you would have to be very unlucky and water would have to splash upwards directly into the small gaps there, so no not joking, it's much more waterproof than a Begode wheel which I wouldn't do the same with.

• Like 2

I usually leave it to it's natural self cleaning.
A good fast and rough ride shakes of the most.
But from time to time, and if a woman shows
interest, i give it a good scrub on the nuts
and then main axel.

where is the exit?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

Should went with black and brown color scheme. Call it - Mr. Hankey. ;) All natural mud gives it the dirt bike vibes.

Edited by Funky

1 hour ago, Funky said:

Should went with black and brown color scheme.

Nah - Xmas poo brown is not my idea of futuristic colouring, unless it's one of those horrible dystopian futures we see in all the films, but I am remaining optimistically positive, flying somewhat in the face of available evidence, and possibly to the point of foolishness, that we'll all end up looking like the interior of the Orville like 'proper future' should be :)

Edited by Cerbera
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, novazeus said:

everything rusts in florida.

If rust is a real problem then I would recommend changing all your bolts to stainless steel. I did this after a year of riding and it was a pain in the arse due to rusty screws.

If I had a new S18 in the UK I would strongly recommend doing it and asap unless you only ever go out in the very dry.

As for cleaning the wheel, I do pretty much as @Tawpie. I shower the wheel everywhere after the bottom of the plastic of the controller. I also keep it upright. I tend to shower it most after a winter ride to get ride of any salt that might be on it. 

The S18 is surprisingly water resistant. I went through a flooded riverbank that covered over the pedals for about 30 seconds although I wouldn't recommend this I just misjudged the depth. Checked out the wheel/batteries after and all good*.

* But your wheel may vary with the quality control we have nowadays.

• Upvote 1

Let the mud dry out. And them simply go over with a brush. All mud, etc.. Falls off. If you want the wheel to sparkle - go over with wet towel afterwards.

I personally would not place my wheel in shower to wash it ever. Simply no need.. And i'm not so afraid of water. (Doh i know there is possibility of damage each time you meet water.) As in fall i'm riding in rain each second day. But same time i'm using cover over euc, so water isn't really a problem. Only wheel well gets wet.

Simple brush is all you need. (I have not cleaned my wheel ever.. As i don't ride in mud.) :D Doh if i look up my wheel well - it's no cleaner than hobos back crack. If any mud/sand is there, next ride it all falls out.

Edited by Funky
  • Upvote 1