Msx 84v max heat temp

have had a 4 of these damm things catch fire a mcm5 x2 and a msx 100v x2 from grinding it out up hills without checking app temp

havea msx 84v now and fan comes on at 120 f and eems to get up to 129 at times...what temp will it ignite as im not that happy with gotway as there seems to be no alarm warnings or maybe i had turned off ? like an idiot any help would be great as im sure im not the only clown out there cheers

Fans come on 50C, alarms go off about 70-80C i think? (At least for my kingsong alarm goes off at 80C) Other wheels also could take same amount of heat?

55C isn't really that hot, especially if you are riding up hill.. 

I have had my wheel go ~60C in summer riding flat ground. I think you have different type of problem... (How steep is the hill? What distance you are going up hill?) Are you riding downhill also? With full battery? <<< That's kinda bad.

Edited by Funky

I ride an older MSX84 too and suspect that I had a board failure (at low amps), because of overheating. 

I recommend you to check that all the mosfet bolts are tight if you plan on overheating the wheel. I theorize they could loosen over time and then the board can report 50deg but a poorly cooled mosfet can be a lot higher and ready to pop.

You can also add additional fans. I suggest connecting them to the USB output (5V and just let them run all the time, like at low rpm). I hotglued two additional fans (same size) on either side of the original. 

thanks and my wheel starts off at 86 f and have had at 150 f and have only the one fan which comes on at 122 f but doesn't seem to drop temp unless you go down hill or continue on flat,,,what is a high temp for these as there is little room to add the extra fans...cheers

• Like 1

Like I said. I learned the hard way that the temperature I read in the app, isn't necessarily the temperature of the mosfets. You know, the component that overheats. That worries me. 

So how can we share numbers then if one wheel can break at 50C and another can ride at 65C without problems?

My conclusion is, ensure that the mosfets are properly cooled and don't focus on the damn readout so much.

• 2 weeks later...

Temperature is measured at the IMU chip. Not the FETs.

Different versions of the control board change the location of the high-current circuits and IMU, so will report different temperatures for the exact same FET temperature.

My 2019-build MSX 84V melted at 155°F reported temperature. 
And then the replacement controller was a newer design, and beeps and tilts nicely at 170°F, without melting. (This is the intended outcome.)

If you start recording .csv logs (easy using EUC World) as a habit when you ride, if you melt another controller, you'll have a record of the temperature values just before disaster- and so then you could set your alarms accordingly.

Other people's numbers likely won't help much, due to the many revisions of controllers, even for the same model EUC. 

• Like 1