First Five Days on Other Wheels: Now On to the V13

Josiah

49 minutes ago, Josiah said:

@Uras

What’s the wheel you like for your type of riding? 

I have a 16x. I would have bought the v12ht but the 16x was a $1000 cheaper (au). Also the v12ht is still showing some issues - not widespread - and I try to avoid trouble. The 16x at this point has had all firmware updates and most known problems fixed via manufacturing - I haven't had to update firmware (even that is a gamble). I didn't want suspension because I want to focus on skills first. We have quite a few little steep climbs / descents and most of my riding is tight. I've only ever ridden fast on a group ride (37kmh) which was fun but not really my thing. I imagine I'll get suspension next wheel, but I still want it to be fairly small and maneuverable. Something like a v12ht (with fixes) and suspension, or S22pro? I don't expect to get a new wheel for years though. Of course that's me and my needs / desires. It's been 3 months and I feel I made the best choice. I initially learned on a 14d, which was surprisingly good for it's size and incredibly cheap. It is my girlfriends ride now - she is 4'11" and 50kg; it has the power she needs and she can lift it reasonably easily. Going from the 14d to the 16x was a big surprise initially - it felt like I was on stilts. It took me a couple 100km to get used to it. I think I'm a slow learner compared to others though.

Edited by Uras
  • Like 3

Just putting this out there Josiah; I imagine most folk who are getting a v13 will have another wheel too. If you find that this is a lot of wheel for you, consider getting a 2nd wheel. Something that is reasonably cheap, good to learn on and you can have fun with it on tighter stuff, learning to jump kerbs, ride skinnies etc. ks16x for example is pretty cheap. Use it for scooting to the shops etc (I toss mine in the shopping trolley). I'd also armour up whatever wheel you learn on; you'll probably drop it more while learning than you will in the following years of normal use. I have armored ours up for no cost - well double sided tape and duct tape. I sliced up some of the white foam stuff that the wheels came in - it's surprising tough and absorbs a lot of impact. 

Edited by Uras
  • Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 2:53 PM, Paul A said:

https://www.speedyfeet.co.uk/products/inmotion-v13-challenger

InMotion V13 Challenger Specifications:

Length*Width*Height:    579*274*731 mm

Max Range:    200km

Net Weight:     50kg

Range might still be an issue.

200km sounds amazing. In the real world though it's looking more like 100km, which is still amazing given the size and weight etc 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Uras said:

In the real world though it's looking more like 100km, which is still amazing given the size and weight etc

Have KS18XL, 1554 Wh battery, range approximately 130km.

Inmotion V13, 3024 Wh battery. 

Reviewers might be riding at top speed, all the way.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Real world use case 18xl simply can't get 130km... Best case 90-100km. I got around ~65km.. from 100-0% going ~35km/h speeds.

Edited by Funky
  • Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Paul A said:

of course. 25mph average is pretty fast, amazing really. I'm guessing she'd be around 60kg too, which would be a factor.

I think my 16x (same motor and battery as your 18xl?) is good for 80 - 90km. The 16x being a smaller wheel would have more torque but less speed (I'm guessing here). Me riding it slow is probably equivalent to you riding yours a fair bit faster over the same distance. I've only taken it down to 12% I think; it was still riding OK at that with my slow speeds which include some reasonable little climbs. I'm about 85 or 90kg and mostly ride slow - 10km single track circuit with my dog. I think that's pretty amazing too, especially considering the era of the wheel.

Edited by Uras
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Uras said:

of course. 25mph average is pretty fast, amazing really. I'm guessing she'd be around 60kg too, which would be a factor.

I think my 16x (same motor and battery as your 18xl?) is good for 80 - 90km. The 16x being a smaller wheel would have more torque but less speed (I'm guessing here). I'm about 85kg and mostly ride slow - 10km single track circuit with my dog. I think that's pretty amazing too, especially considering the era of the wheel.

I'm 125kg and mostly ride 35km/h and i got 60km range. I went home when my battery dropped down to ~5%.

Yeah if you ride kinda slow i can see getting ~100km. Also no stops/starts often.. More or less just cruising. (We know that starts/stops eat's the battery the most.)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Funky said:

I'm 125kg and mostly ride 35km/h and i got 60km range. I went home when my battery dropped down to ~5%.

Yeah if you ride kinda slow i can see getting ~100km. Also no stops/starts often.. More or less just cruising. (We know that starts/stops eat's the battery the most.)

You're a fair bit heavier and faster than me, and you've run the battery lower. It all looks logical - I'd be happy (and I am :D). I don't think I'd get a 100km - the power seems to drop a lot faster below 40 or 30% for me. I probably could, but I wouldn't be having fun :D

Edited by Uras
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Uras said:

You're a fair bit heavier and faster than me, and you've run the battery lower. It all looks logical - I'd be happy (and I am :D). I don't think I'd get a 100km - the power seems to drop a lot faster below 40 or 30% for me. I probably could, but I wouldn't be having fun :D

I only did that once.. I wanted to see mine "range". I normally charge my wheel around 50%.

Wheel started to speed limit me around 30%. Could not go faster than 25km/h.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9FBAF840-9DCD-4340-849A-CBC5DD92D542.thumb.jpeg.9e8889d4103270b95e75f2fb2732a8b9.jpeg

Got about 140 NM with a current speed 14 N so about 10 hrs left before she makes it to Port.  Then maybe a week to wear house and a few more days to my house.  Maybe first practice ride will be around Feb 8th, in 11 days.  Seams like forever.  

All the safely gear is either here or on order so I’m getting amped.  

Also planning on making a setup like this only bigger to hold all of my gear on one post with the wheel and charger.  

5D55EEC8-D432-406B-92FB-FF792CFD394B.thumb.jpeg.f4371d3b92b69210d39aeab6e849c19b.jpeg

Edited by Josiah
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Paul A said:

Who invented the nautical mile?

Dave Nautical, 1355.

1 hour ago, Paul A said:

Why was it invented?

Original mile seemed too far.

1 hour ago, Paul A said:

Why is speed measured in knots?

Something to do with ropes.

Do I win a cake ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Paul A said:

Zero from three......

But have a cake anyway...

1999a2b7-7241-4d16-82f7-0cf0cca3492d-120

Steals the cake - early bird gets the worm.

@Cerbera The cake was delicious!!! Don't worry i left you a cherry. (Be thankful - i saved you from getting overweight. And getting to big for EUC's.)

Edited by Funky
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Josiah said:

Got about 140 NM with a current speed 14 N so about 10 hrs left before she makes it to Port.  Then maybe a week to wear house and a few more days to my house.  Maybe first practice ride will be around Feb 8th, in 11 days.  Seams like forever.  

All the safely gear is either here or on order so I’m getting amped.  

Also planning on making a setup like this only bigger to hold all of my gear on one post with the wheel and charger.  

5D55EEC8-D432-406B-92FB-FF792CFD394B.thumb.jpeg.f4371d3b92b69210d39aeab6e849c19b.jpeg

This is the deed of a woman !  "You cant have this inside our house unless..."   poor wheel, reminds me of this

Screenshot 2023-01-29 130321.jpg

• Haha 2

My Master was 4 whole weeks in customs when it got to the UK. It was a deeply unpleasant lesson in delayed gratification :) Yours will be with you a lot sooner than that because your country isn't as hopeless, or determined to make every last thing as difficult, exploitative, or inefficient as possible, like ours is ;) Honestly, never move to the UK.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Sad 1

• Josiah changed the title to First Five Days on Other Wheels: Now On to the V13