Easier to learn bc skated/rode waveboard for years?

CaptainLizard

Meddl my fellow unicycliacs!🥸

Tomorrow will be the great day, the arrival of my 2nd hand Ninebot One E has just been announced by the carrier. I am not very afraid that I am unable to learn to tame and control the EUC, but curious if got an advantge when it comes to learn how to drive because I skated for about ten years, the last three also with a waveboard, nearly every day. Got to admit that this phase was about 10 years ago, meanwhile I stand on a board ~1/month and still got some skill i.e. basic tricks from the past left.

Haven't been so hyped since the night before seeing Motörhead live for the first time in 2010 and can't get my eyes shut.😅

• Like 2

Welcome! Glad to hear you're getting started.

I'd say that your skating and wakeboarding history shows that you have the one trait necessary to learn EUC: stubbornness. It's not easy, the first few sessions are a physical workout and for most new riders are somewhat demoralizing. But if you stick with it and take breaks to sleep, virtually everyone that really wants to learn to ride, has been successful.

Yay! Pretty exciting. I remember the feeling well.

• 2 weeks later...

How was your learning experience? I’ve skated and ridden waveboard casterboard and the experience was very helpful for learning Onewheel. So I thought learning EUC would not be difficult and was expecting to learn in an hour. Instead, it took me 3 days 😂

IMHO, EUCs are quite different. The most relevant prior experience is a manual unicycle. Unicyclists tend to learn EUC within minutes. IMHO, prior experience with other rides such as motorcycles, skiing, snowboarding, skateboarding, in-line skating, ice skating, etc. don’t seem to help much except in terms of attitude (persistence, ok with falling etc). However, one motorcyclist I taught said that he thought it felt similar to motorcycling (then again, he had no experience riding anything else).