WARNING: Potential Problem with Master Rim (and possibly RS rim)

So @EMA helped me verify on Telegram that I have V2 wider rim.

37 minutes ago, Raptor said:

However, if tire soap is not used at all, the tire may still flex when inflated! I have also come across such cases. I've also seen tire installation videos where the installer drags the tire onto the rim with a lot of force and multiple levers. With the right tools, a tire can be mounted on a 14" rim without tire levers! Could damage to the bead of the tire occur during the installation of the tires, which has caused this situation?
Sorry, Google Translate :(

Installation wasn't very difficult, I use the center recess of the rim and then I barely have need of the tire levels just for the final bit then it's about getting bead centered I did that by hand but next mounting I will use ratchet strap to get it perfectly centered. Julier tier is also quite soft not so hard.

Edited by Rawnei

My rims are a bit banged up, so using them as the measure for the tire being centered perhaps isn't the best. I compare the tire centerline and the mudguard, and see if there's a high/low spot. So if the rim isn't perfectly centered at least the tire is better centered and won't experience as strong rotational forces as it otherwise would.

• 3 months later...

Just adding my experience on my V1 master with over 2900 miles. No issues with the H666. However my Sherman v1 rim threw off my tire in the same fashion as Rawnei. Mine was instantaneous. Fastest faceplant ever. The tube filled up the inner shell area so when I came back to the wheel after sliding on asphalt, it looked normal. I tilted up the wheel and noticed it wasn't balancing. A second later the motherboard blew. I installed a v2 rim and haven't had any issues since (same tire as on v1). The tire that came off was an IRC N77 80/90-14 I believe, but it has stayed on the for 1500 miles since.

Fast forward to a couple days ago. A friend just got a master (latest rev) and he was slowly riding on some dirt when his wheel started squeaking. After a while he noticed his tire was unseated and the inner tube eventually popped out and exploded. So either the problem still exists or the tire wasn't seated correctly at the factory.

Rewind about 10 years ago and I was riding a brand new demo road bike and after 25 miles the rear tire came unseated and I watched the inner tube slowly burst out of the tire until it popped. I was so shocked at what I had just witnessed. Anyways, that last story was just to say that maybe these things just happen if tires aren't seated correctly? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FlyboyEUC said:

Just adding my experience on my V1 master with over 2900 miles. No issues with the H666. However my Sherman v1 rim threw off my tire in the same fashion as Rawnei. Mine was instantaneous. Fastest faceplant ever. The tube filled up the inner shell area so when I came back to the wheel after sliding on asphalt, it looked normal. I tilted up the wheel and noticed it wasn't balancing. A second later the motherboard blew. I installed a v2 rim and haven't had any issues since (same tire as on v1). The tire that came off was an IRC N77 80/90-14 I believe, but it has stayed on the for 1500 miles since.

Fast forward to a couple days ago. A friend just got a master (latest rev) and he was slowly riding on some dirt when his wheel started squeaking. After a while he noticed his tire was unseated and the inner tube eventually popped out and exploded. So either the problem still exists or the tire wasn't seated correctly at the factory.

Rewind about 10 years ago and I was riding a brand new demo road bike and after 25 miles the rear tire came unseated and I watched the inner tube slowly burst out of the tire until it popped. I was so shocked at what I had just witnessed. Anyways, that last story was just to say that maybe these things just happen if tires aren't seated correctly? 

I tried multiple methods to get the Julier tire seated correctly on the Master, even tried a second Julier tire (same tire but 2 pairs) and whatever I did I could not get it to seat 100% without any oscillations, so in a sense you could be right but it does also seem that this occurs at an abnormal rate on the Master specifically so I'm sure the design of the rim makes things more difficult.