Personal Preferences for Protective Gear

1 hour ago, Josiah said:

@Paul A

So far I like the stock chinstrap on the TSG Pass Pro.  I’ve been able to snug it up as tight as I like it without a issue.

I found D-rings difficult to use in very cold weather, which required me to remove my over gloves and sometimes my Flexmeters and 'under'-gloves to (un)fasten the closure. This applies to other helmets, like the Troy Lee D- and SE-series as well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Unless you have fairly large wrist and hands, I would start with medium Flexmeters. You want them to be as perfect of a fit as possible. I have both medium and large ( I own many pairs after 6 years of buying them), and (have to) wear the large with undergloves in the winter, but wear the medium in warmer weather. Demon will let you exchange them as long as they are still new.

• Thanks 1

Shin/knee guards came in today!  They fit well.  Seem to want to slide down the leg and a bit hard to put on.  Almost need to put on like a pair of pants if you don’t want to completely take the straps apart.  Maybe the Velcro also last longer if you do it that way. But I don’t know, how do you guys do it?

B3EDDEF6-C4C8-4DF8-8167-98B6911740C6.thumb.jpeg.02bfdaf5ed70b814e8c9265c4001eeb8.jpeg

• Like 1

set the fit with the velcro, then unclip the things your thumb is on to put them on and take them off. Push the clip in toward the center to unclip, push toward the edge to clip. Other than "they actually do work", it's my favorite feature... easy on and off

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Josiah said:

Oh now I see thanks Tawpie

I forget how chunky you are, or not, but my Leatts, even when set to their minimum strap lengths are a little too long for my thin legs, and this can lead to them slipping in a crash I am told. Fortunately, we can cross the lower 2 straps, X-style, to get a tighter fit.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

I forget how chunky you are,

:laughbounce2:

I know that’s why  I’ve been on a diet for a couple weeks.  

I’m 5’7” or 170 CM and at 170 lbs or 77KG

Figured if I’m gonna be falling a lot I need to be at a better weight.  Got my height and weight info at the top of the Beginner Starting Out on a V13  thread just to give you all an idea of my size in relation to the wheel.   
But it must say something for the sport that I haven’t even gotten my wheel yet and EUCs have already helped me to lose over 13 pounds.  Also I did twenty push-ups this week.  Haven’t done that in a long time.  Just want to be in better shape now.

Edited by Josiah
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Josiah said:

Figured if I’m gonna be falling a lot I need to be at a better weight.  Got my height and weight info at the top of this thread just to give you all an idea of my size in relation to the wheel. 
but it must say something for the sport I haven’t even gotten my Willy yet and he uses have already helped me to lose over 13 pounds.  Also I did twenty push-ups this week.  Haven’t done that in a long time.  Just want to be in better shape now.

Good for you! Just remember diet trumps anything else you do (walking, weights, etc). Good luck with your journey :)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Josiah said:

Figured if I’m gonna be falling a lot I need to be at a better weight.

If you are falling from height, some padding is good under all that armour, so I wouldn't lose too much weight ! I especially don't enjoy falls because I have none of that anywhere to cushion any of my bones ! In the absence of armour I don't bounce, but rather crumble to dust !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Josiah said:

Shin/knee guards came in today!  They fit well.  Seem to want to slide down the leg and a bit hard to put on.  Almost need to put on like a pair of pants if you don’t want to completely take the straps apart.  Maybe the Velcro also last longer if you do it that way. But I don’t know, how do you guys do it?

B3EDDEF6-C4C8-4DF8-8167-98B6911740C6.thumb.jpeg.02bfdaf5ed70b814e8c9265c4001eeb8.jpeg

These worked for me.. they kept my Leatt in place. They're nice and snug around my shins. 

2 colors: black or florescent.. I got florescent. Be seen.. 

Leg Shield Bike Pant Protector - Completely Protects Cyclist's Pants from Grease and Chain Unlike Existing Straps and Clips - Comfortable, Snug Fit, Easy On/Off (1 Unit) https://a.co/d/8cYbphn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/16/2023 at 12:37 AM, litewave said:

My biggest issue with the SBA2 is fit: the helmets do not conform to my Pākehā-head

it's a pity that they don't consider head shapes. There are enough different motorcycle helmets to suit different head shapes. Last time I bought one I ended up with a nolan based on head shape description of that helmet - it's a perfect fit.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Tawpie said:

I'm a straw weight, but 'fixed' mine by sewing in a small strip of non-stretchy velcro onto the stretchy part. Allowed a bit more snug fit and at the same time because there's just that much less stretchy, they don't slip at all (and this was tested and verified thanks to a bit of over exuberance on the 67V MTen3)

21-AA6-CFB-2-B8-C-46-A1-8-F4-E-55-FE5-F9

I added industrial strength 4"x2" adhesive velcro to all straps on my Leatt Dual Axis Guards without sewing over six months ago. This is quick, easy, and effective. They have stayed in place and held the straps securely, as long as I leave them in the same position. Otherwise, the velcro bond is stronger than the adhesive, and it is challenging to separate then reposition the hook and loop parts. Over time (maybe a year or more), the adhesive will soften and slip, especially after a hot summer, but for now they work fine. I plan to have them sewn into place once I've decided on the final position.

image.thumb.jpeg.8e10e9639127b0e0e8a6b4e614404f3b.jpeg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Josiah said:

:laughbounce2:

I’m 5’7” or 170 CM and at 170 lbs or 77KG

Figured if I’m gonna be falling a lot I need to be at a better weight.  Got my height and weight info at the top of the Beginner Starting Out on a V13  thread just to give you all an idea of my size in relation to the wheel.   
But it must say something for the sport that I haven’t even gotten my wheel yet and EUCs have already helped me to lose over 13 pounds.  Also I did twenty push-ups this week.  Haven’t done that in a long time.  Just want to be in better shape now.

Keto and IF all the way. It's sustainable long-term and really works. IM me if you want sources.

7 minutes ago, Josiah said:

Carnivore here.  I’m definitely in ketosis 

What s IF?

Intermittent Fasting. Eat during a 6-hour window (max) and fast the other 18 (or longer). Very easy to do if you are eating the right foods and eliminating (not just reducing) all carbs. Bonus credit: try OMAD (one meal a day). If it works for you, you'll get even better results.

You can be vegan and keto, too!

Edited by litewave
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Uras said:

it's a pity that they don't consider head shapes.

Some do. For example I have heard / read multiple reports that TSG Pass is more suitable for typically Western head shapes and not so great for the typically slightly wider / rounder Asian faces, whereas the Predator has the converse issue. No idea if that was by design or not by either company, but I think there are a few MC helmet companies that actually offer different shells for wide and narrower heads. But I agree it's not most of 'em by a long shot, and most of the ones that do offer options do it by merely varying the padding.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, litewave said:

Intermittent Fasting. Eat during a 6-hour window (max) and fast the other 18 (or longer).

I'm on an 8hr window and can't see myself getting it smaller :D. Well done you. I feel this is a great fit for me and I'm pretty sure I can maintain it - unlike a diet

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Josiah said:

Got some gear on the way the flow guards, motorcycle pants and Leatt 5.5 chest protector but here’s what I’ve got so far.

499A94BC-A685-4575-A16E-BB64B14EE771.thumb.jpeg.a97790790ffb38e5a4afdd35be455c8b.jpeg

I've got a Leatt 6.5 roost protector, you'll like it they fit well

• Like 1