accident

mario gravel

Bonjour, j’ai eu un très gros accident avec mon unicycle V11, question, à une vitesse de 50 km hrs, l’embrayage est tombé en position neutre, 3 fracture dans le dos, épaule 2 fracture, muscle et ligament sectionné, 1 mois hospitalisé…. je suis tu seul à avoir vécu cette situation ? 2 mois arrêt de travail, faire attention à vousmerci de m’aidé

• Sad 2

Hi!

Sorry to hear from your accident and the grave injuries you suffered.

At maximum speed it's likely that you "just" overleaned the wheel. BLDC motors have a maximum torque over speed limit - once this is reached one (normaly) faceplants :(.

Could be of course any kind of other malfunction - without further details or "forensics" on the wheel not much more can be said? 

Btw: Forum language is english - please use something like google translate/deepl (if needed/wanted). Or one can post in ones language in the "local group meetup" subforum.

Google translate:"Hello, I had a very big crash with my V11 unicycle, question, at a speed of 50 km hrs, the clutch fell into neutral position, 3 breaks in the back, shoulder 2 breaks, severed muscle and ligament, 1 months in hospital…. am you the only one to have experienced this situation? 2 months off work, do aufmerksamkeit to you thank you for helping me"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi sad news and hipe you will recover well and quick. Did you was wearring some protection? Last summer i got a crash at the similar speed with a sherman.  I got a quick flat tires when i was seat and get eject and luckyly with nothing but i was wearing full gear. Still today the sherman is not back on the road yet.

Boy, that’s a terrible fall.  I hope someone can analyze the V11 to see what the problem is/was.  I have been considering a Leaff body armor, this event certainly helps my decision.  I already use a bunch of my motorcycle gear but….  Hope for a full and swift recovery. 

6 hours ago, Jkay said:

I hope someone can analyze the V11 to see what the problem is/was.

From the OP's report out he was pushing the wheel at top speed. A bump in the road or drop in voltage will dump you for sure, but then again I was not there so it could be something else. Regardless, those are some serious injuries and I wish the OP a speedy recovery. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I am so sorry for the accident @mario gravel, I hope you will recover as quickly as possible!

To me, this raises the question whether manufacturers (and accomplished riders) do enough to warn and inform new riders about the risks involved when approaching the maximal speed with self-balancing devices like EUCs. I am pretty sure that many new riders never heard aboutor realized the consequences of, the inherent and unforgiving limit of self-balancing.

This is the important bit of information anyone should know, just as @Chriull commented in different words: the reserve motor torque that is necessary to self-balance the EUC diminishes with increasing speed rather quickly right to zero! Close to the maximum speed, self-balancing is prone to failure due to the inherent lack of reserve torque of the motor. This failure is quite often called (somewhat misleadingly) a "cutout".

Edited by Mono
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Mono said:

This is the important bit of information anyone should know, just as @Chriull commented in different words: the reserve motor torque that is necessary to self-balance the EUC diminishes with increasing speed rather quickly right to zero! Close to the maximum speed, self-balancing is prone to failure due to the inherent lack of reserve torque of the motor. This failure is quite often called (somewhat misleadingly) a "cutout".

Easy fix - very aggressive pedal tiltback at 70% of power usage/max speed/voltage drop. :D 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Funky said:

Easy fix - very aggressive pedal tiltback at 70% of power usage/max speed/voltage drop

Interesting enough, The inmotion v11 has this. I have pushed into the tilt back probably 300 times on mine because it just isn't fast enough for the roads around here. Sometimes I've done it 5-6 times in one short 2 mile trip and i can say with complete honesty, there is no missing the tiltback. It's pretty aggressive if you keep leaning into it. So much that there is no mistaking it. I'm sorry to hear about the OP's injuries and hope for a speedy recovery. I guess you don't really think about how badly you can get injured on these things otherwise none of us would be riding them. If i had to take a month or so off of work i would be out of business.

I wish you a good recovery, patience and less speed. After my accident the motivation was still there on the wheel, but the impatient wheeler calmed down. Protective clothing is my obligation every day without counting the kilometers, for a minute or an hour of travel.

Just for information; The original post is now one year old, can't tell if anyone has noticed? Mr. Mario has only done this one post.    Regardless, I wish him a speedy recovery too...a bit late now ;)

Annotation 2024-01-18 123214.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Mono said:

This failure is quite often called (somewhat misleadingly) a "cutout".

Just to clarify its not misleading to use the word cutout, it has many meanings in the English language and one of them is " to cease to operate suddenly" 

Source Collins English Dictionary, Plus many others.

On 1/18/2024 at 12:38 PM, Robse said:

Just for information; The original post is now one year old, can't tell if anyone has noticed? Mr. Mario has only done this one post.    Regardless, I wish him a speedy recovery too...a bit late now ;)

LOL, right, I remember I read January 5 and thought that doesn't sound that long ago and the year looked familiar too :whistling:

On 1/18/2024 at 2:58 PM, The Brahan Seer said:

Just to clarify its not misleading to use the word cutout, it has many meanings in the English language and one of them is " to cease to operate suddenly" 

Dictionary-true statements can be misleading. If statements could not be at the same time true and misleading, the word misleading would be superfluous, calling them false would suffice. Why may true statements mislead? Because most people don't do dictionary-reading of natural language.

For example, when I say "the motor suddenly ceased to operate", it tends to imply an unusual chain of events or a malfunction. The phrase remains perfectly true, yet kinda misleading, when I "forget" to mention that I had pressed the motor kill switch 50 millisecond before the "sudden cease".

More to the point: cutout is a noun and you gave one of the definitions of the verb to "cut out". I will take it, as it describes what I associate when I hear the word cutout in our context (dictionaries are by no means the end-all-be-all). "to cease to operate suddenly" is arguably not even misleading but wrong. Why? Because during a "cutout" the device operates exactly as before, nothing in its operation changes, only the conditions the rider imposes on its operation change, the rider physically forces the device to operate in a different state. I do agree that what happens appears as if the EUC ceases to operate suddenly but not everything is what it appears to be.

In short, what many people call a "cutout" or "cutoff" is (most of the time, to all we know) the rider physically forcing the wheel to tilt forward to the extent that (s)he falls off in front.

The consequences from this misnomer are kinda dire: people see a cutout as something the wheel does to them like an unfortunate and unchangeable event. This viewpoint could hardly be further from the truth.

Edited by Mono
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Mono said:

The consequences from this misnomer are kinda dire: people see a cutout as something the wheel does to them like an unfortunate and unchangeable event. This viewpoint could hardly be further from the truth.

I appreciate what you mean now. Thank you for clarifying.

• Like 1