Veteran Sherman - Q: How not to cut out for dummies

s4jo

Just bought a used Veteran Sherman...coming from a 16x.  I used EUC world with the 16x and now with the Sherman.  Been trying to read up about alarms settings and safety margins...it's a little confusing...but I'll get there.  In the meantime, is it possible that somebody can just list safe; flat, no wind, smooth acceleration/deceleration, speed limits for various battery %'s?  Something you can keep in your head and adjust for wind and terrain, etc.  Also what is the fastest you can go with the battery at 20%?

Would it be something like this?

80%-100% = 45mph?
60%-80% = 40mph?
40%-60% = 35mph?
...etc.

Safe speed at 20% = 25mph?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, s4jo said:

80%-100% = 45mph?
60%-80% = 40mph?
40%-60% = 35mph?
20% = 25mph?

That's very realistic, yes!

I think it's more practical to "choose a speed" than "wait for alarms" - and the Sherman has a lovely top-mounted speedometer, so additional apps aren't strictly needed. Choose your do-not-cross number, stick to it, and you'll be doing well.

I ride with no EUC World alarms (because I don't use helmet audio and can't hear or feel my phone while riding), and I do not cross 42mph shown on the Sherman display. If I see a number that starts with "4", I ease my riding. It's been good.

Also remember that you can overlean and crash with a full battery at any speed, if you accelerate aggressively enough. It happens suddenly and alarms won't help much. 
It's good to develop a personal familiarity with "how hard" this is- I encourage all Sherman owners learn the pendulum maneuver, and experiment with making an aggressive thrust forward during the pendulum, strong enough to feel the pedals dip. Once practiced, it's easy, repeatable, and recoverable. (Powerpads required.) Big confidence booster.

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Like 1

Somewhat irrelevant, but @Seba  informed me that Leaperkim added PWM in the protocol for Sherman max, Sherman S and Abrams. (sadly not for og Sherman)

I checked the firmwares and they did in fact exposed the field I found many months back that I thought was the PWM.
We don't have an alarm field, but this is the next best thing. It means that we could place accurate alarms on apps based on the true PWM information :)

• Like 2