Unicycle braking distance

I tested what is the actual braking distance of Airwheel . Each parking space is 2,5m and I put tape every 50cm. Then I recorded some stops and watched every one frame by frame. It was necessary. I found out that in every braking I started to lean backwards well ahead of time. The braking distance was therefore 1,5-2 meters. If you have 0 ,5s reaction time, you have to add 1,5 meter when traveling 12km/h.

The reason I was testing to show the with Airwheel half of the braking distance comes from your reaction times.

Maybe I should also train my braking. Biggest problem with real emergence braking is you should first lean backwards and that happens by accelerating your Airwheel first ahead of you. You don't have time to think.

I found a proper picture of what happens when you don't have time to brake.

post-364-0-10477800-1431962483_thumb.jpg

Nice testing, but shouldn't you come to a full stop to see the actual braking distance? Not that it'd probably go that much farther... In my case, pushing the legs forward seems to be the most efficient way of doing fast braking. What I don't get is 

Biggest problem with real emergence braking is you should first lean backwards and that happens by accelerating your Airwheel first ahead of you.

as I don't accelerate the wheel (at least I think so, have to pay more attention next time I go riding) to get it in front of me, I bend my knees a bit, lean back and push it forwards with my legs and at the same time tilt it backwards with my ankles, so it begins breaking already when I'm pushing it forwards. I use the same technique to start going backwards (not that I'm that any good at it yet, I can ride maybe 2 meters backwards at best, then either have to dismount with my left leg or change back to going forwards, as the wheel usually starts to tilt to one side or the other). Need more practice...

Archived