Split from: The term "Electric Unicycle" is wrong

Paul A

This might be an alternative to EUCs.

Seems like a great idea/alternative to cars, in certain settings.

AirPod 2 0 - The Future of Urban Mobility

1.22K subscribers

Mar 2, 2020

Check out the first compressed air urban vehicle IN THE WORLD!

There is no doubt that we are closer to make sustainability accessible for all.

7 minutes ago, LowFlyingSquirrel said:

Compressed air isn't a viable option for grid energy storage vs batteries. Therefor it would be even worse in a vehicle.

To much energy is lost during compressing air due to the high temperatures that builds up.  I think it's only about 50% efficiency.  Better to convert to hydrogen for storage.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Robse said:

To much energy is lost during compressing air due to the high temperatures that builds up.  I think it's only about 50% efficiency.  Better to convert to hydrogen for storage.

Isn't hydrogen much worse than 50% efficiency though?  Hmm, google suggests the creation of green hydrogen is 75% and generating power with hydrogen fuel cells is 60%  so that is ~45% efficiency - so not 'much' worse and with improvements I guess we could beat 50%.  That's still pretty rubbish compared to rechargeable batteries though.  I would think that it would be better to develop batteries to be cheaper, more energy to mass and more energy to volume.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2022/12/11/fusion-nuclear-energy-breakthrough/#:~:text=The science of nuclear fusion,radioactive waste into the environment.

December 11, 2022

U.S. to announce fusion energy ‘breakthrough’

The Department of Energy plans to announce Tuesday that scientists have been able for the first time to produce a fusion reaction that creates a net energy gain — a major milestone in the decades-long, multibillion-dollar quest to develop a technology that provides unlimited, cheap, clean power.

The aim of fusion research is to replicate the nuclear reaction through which energy is created on the sun. It is a “holy grail” of carbon-free power that scientists have been chasing since the 1950s.

It is still at least a decade — maybe decades — away from commercial use, but the latest development is likely to be touted by the Biden administration as an affirmation of a massive investment by the government over the years.

49 minutes ago, OldFartRides said:

Who died and left you in charge of being smart ass bully of the forum ?

No one obviously, everyone who's not a moderator has equal status and everything else is perception. But hey, if there's an open position, I'll be your huckleberry.

It's no secret that this individual and I do not get along as evidence on a certain notorious off-topic thread that was eventually hidden.

When someone repeatedly annoys with the dumbest articles featuring "fact-checking" nonsense by obviously paid and interest-conflicting parties as well as other non-productive and MSM-parroting diversions, it's eventually going to provoke a reaction. I make a point not to comment on their stuff as much as I can, but here we are.

And frankly, I don't really care that you perceive me to be a bully as it's obvious we don't see eye to eye on likely many things despite sharing the same hobby. If anything, I think the world is in dire need of people, particularly men still with some semblance of testosterone still circulating around, willing to call out BS and be confrontational as society is entirely too feminized and PC. And just look around at the results.

"We're" so PC we even tolerate the permanent mutilation of children in the name of gender confusion. How fucking absolutely demonic and straight up evil is that? Even going into this here makes me guilty of the derailment I previously called out. So if the mods want to delete this rant, then by all means... :thumbup:

3 hours ago, Vanturion said:

But before I contribute even further to the derailment and speaking of autism.

What the hell does this have to do anything with the topic at hand? I don't know what's wrong with you, but…

Edited by OldFartRides
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Vanturion said:

but it's some kind of sad that anyone should feel the need to dress down making arguments and presenting reasoning to support a point as having anything to do with autism or some kind of deficient mental condition. 

Edit: reverse the order posted.

Edited by OldFartRides
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, OldFartRides said:

But before I contribute even further to the derailment and speaking of autism.

What the hell does this have to do anything with the topic at hand? I don't know what's wrong with you, but…

You literally just quoted me saying that already I acknowledged responding to your characterization was off-topic.

Do you want a prize for being able to read English?

And for the record it's entirely unclear what kind of gotchya you're attempting here with these quotes. Nothing I said contradicts that last quote I posted unless you think the AirPod comment was an intelligent contribution (or even a good idea). In which case... I'm sorry for your loss?

9 minutes ago, OldFartRides said:

Just think on it. Maybe you’ll get it, maybe you won’t.

See, this is exactly what I'm talking about with passive aggressive nonsense typical of those with low-T.

Be a man and just straight up insult me rather than make 2 posts to try and twist my words into making it seem like I've somehow insulted myself.

Edited by Vanturion

1 hour ago, Vanturion said:

Do you want a prize for being able to read English?

See, this is exactly what I'm talking about with passive aggressive nonsense typical of those with low-T.

Come on man, I know you are better than that in understanding the forum rules:

Be good to one another. Don’t insult anyone directly, including the staff. Don’t use hate speech of any kind, including (but not limited to) hate speech related to ethnicity, race, sexuality, gender, religion, political inclination, or anything else deemed inappropriate by the moderation team.

Be a man and just straight up insult me

It really doesn’t take to “be a man” to insult someone. Quite the opposite. That’s what kids do at school, but grow out of around the time they become adults. Besides, they know it’s against the rules, so what would be the point?

Maybe find a different place to vent, and keep this thread (and forum) as the light and occasionally humorous read that it’s become?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

That’s what kids do at school, but grow out of around the time they become adults.

Not true at all. Politicians used to duel each other to the death over matters of ego, but also fundamental ideological disagreements. We also still make war with each other and drop bombs that includes "collateral damage" so the holier than thou attitude doesn't hold water in our so-called polite society unless we keep the blinders up and play pretend.

But obviously I get what you're saying, and it's in some way wrong for me to vent with the chip on my shoulder to others in the forum as I imagine it makes some people uncomfortable which is the greatest sin in our society (not mutilating children btw).

I just really don't think we need to pretend to be polite to each other some times when someone deserves a good old-fashioned dressing down. Society didn't used to be so pacified, and neither did the internet. Now it is. Isn't it grand being able to say only what you're allowed to, for as long as you don't offend anyone?

Yeah, still venting I guess.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Kurtosis said:

Every time I see someone all worried about how "nerdy" EUC sounds, I just feel sad that someone is so insecure about their hobby and so desperate for everyone to think it is cool.

As a result, whenever I see someone trying so hard to "make fetch happen" as it were, I always just read whatever they wrote as "penis wheel". So just let it be known that when you prominently keep repeating "Electric Wheel" or "E-Wheel" or "GyroWheel" or whatever thing you think will let you sit at the cool table, I just hear "penis wheel".

Well, I will admit I got a little over enthusiast pages earlier in an effort to make better sense in the naming scheme. Not much makes sense in this world currently so why not try and fix this small thing was the idea.

As for a seat at the table, if I really cared about popularity as much as you say, I certainly wouldn't go around deliberately offending people when the notion strikes. Fact is, I hold way too many anti "polite society" opinions for that kind of pursuit.

As for the penis thing, I may not exactly fit into polite society anymore, but even I find the penis thing to be a weird association. But hey, its the era of unlimited tolerance after all so you do you buddy.

Side note: "p-wheel" still fits the ideal naming schema so we'll add that to the poll too.

17 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

My point still stands… 

LOL I friggin knew you get me on that! They are technically classified as adults...

Yeah, I just don't like the guy obviously and spamming MSM propaganda here in this hobby forum (referring to other posts) while having the chutzpah to then use paid, politically motivated "fact checking" think tank mercenaries as a kind of magic tribal wand to declare how everyone should interpret information as if the very idea itself isn't completely compromised by obviously ideologically motivated manipulators (or that people aren't intelligent enough to suss bias for themselves), well the practice wears.

There was an off topic thread to hash out these differences of opinion, but then someone ran to the mods and wanted restitution or was it retribution and suddenly it was gone. Whatever. I'm sure we'll start up again tomorrow when its Australia time.

I'll try and drop it, this is obviously more of a me problem than anyone else.

1 minute ago, Vanturion said:

LOL I friggin knew you get me on that! They are technically classified as adults...

I’m aware that “adult babies” refers to a very different group of people, so maybe we can just call (some/most of) them “adult kids”?

Yeah, I just don't like the guy obviously and …

And now we know how you feel about him. Both ok.

There was an off topic thread to hash out these differences of opinion, but then someone ran to the mods

As if we mods weren’t all reading the forum as well.

While I didn’t see the thread that you probably refer to, I’ve seen it mentioned before. But the moderator team tries to be very clear in following the rules and not overachieve for the sake of moderating. Different opinions are never suppressed, but abusive behavior and direct violations of the rules are. Some people have misunderstood or even have trouble comprehending this dynamic.

I'll try and drop it, this is obviously more of a me problem than anyone else.

The problem isn’t that one gets annoyed by someone’s posts. The problem is if they fail to express their this without attacking the other person directly.

A bit related, you said that you don’t like the guy. Do you even know the guy, or do you just dislike his posts? Hate the message as much as you want, but don’t make the fight about the person.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

A bit related, you said that you don’t like the guy. Do you even know the guy, or do you just dislike his posts? Hate the message as much as you want, but don’t make the fight about the person.

Yet that's literally all most of us here have to go on in our assessments of individuals here. Of course I don't know him or literally anyone else on the forum IRL, but judgments are made with the information on hand. We should be accountable for our ideas to some degree and frankly its the tolerance of bad ideas expressed by individuals who demand safe spaces for them to fester that has brought us and bought us many things I find detestable about modernity, some I expressed above with that vent.

I can say that someone who frequently parrots MSM content who hasn't figured out yet that they exist primarily as an outlet to manage and steer public opinion as the ruling class want it if they're not using the platforms as a tool for exploitation or bolstering existing revenue streams, and not to inform the public, and is a living breathing adult in the current year, well lets just say we're not like to be friends. And I'm sure the feeling is mutual.

I've said it before in that hidden thread, a great deal of people do not bother with using logic or reason to discern truth from fiction, instead they rely upon the equivalent of tribal signaling from perceived authorities creating a hierarcy of acceptance independent of reason. Hence the MSM, stand for "the current thing". Where reason fails, what you are left with is *this conduct goes against community guidelines".

I get what you are saying and what the position of the forum is like all of the rest, however, the environment it curates has a fatal flaw with regard to those who don't reason, but instead signal.

So perhaps the answer isn't to continue to create safe spaces, but to tolerate a little verbal sparring. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen so to speak. Frankly there are a whole host of bad ideas I'd love to physically remove from the kitchen we call a country, but if aggression is never OK and unlimited tolerance is to forever be the only way to be. Well, one guess what we are going to get in our respective countries.

Edited by Vanturion
  • Like 1

politeness
/pəˈlʌɪtnɪs/

noun
noun: politeness; plural noun: politenesses
  1. behaviour that is respectful and considerate of other people.
    "he always treated me with the utmost politeness"

Similar:
    courtesy
    civility
    respect
    manners
    tact
    tactfulness
    consideration
    thoughtfulness
    discretion
    diplomacy