Turtle-cycle EUCing versus motorcycle EUCing

Mono

There is a rather diverse range of usages for EUCs and we seem to sometimes forget how different they are.

I use my EUC since 7+ years like a casual turtle cyclist (or maybe a Holland cyclist), namely for last mile transportation and trips of usually less than seven kilometers or 1/2 hour. The daily cyclists average speed is close to 15 km/h (in Portland and Amsterdam alike), which is the average speed on my trips too. I take the EUC everywhere all the time (except the airplane) and have never "grown out" of the light wheel category. I also met others with similar usage in person. I also do some fun park leisure trick riding a few hours per week too. Figuratively speaking, I am one of these guys:

Paris_without_cars_2015_Unicycles.thumb.jpg.c46077abecb195220ab2201ac13f44ee.jpg

[source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Paris_without_cars_2015_Unicycles.jpg]

This is pretty distinct from the sports-cycling or motorcycle type usage which covers much larger distances at considerably higher speeds, probably like these guys

Euc_presidio.thumb.jpg.7ea03cdfabf901d3513ac9707d68e33a.jpg

[source: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Euc_presidio.jpg]

The motorcycle usage dominates EUC content creation and also most members of social EUC networks seem to fall into this category. Though I suspect that many motorcycle-type users also use their EUC for short (and possibly slow) trips.

Edited by Mono
  • Like 1

First image is how i ride to job - only wrist guards going under ~20km/h. (My personal speed limit with no gear.)

Second image is my at "Fun" rides - cruising empty paths at 35-42km/h. (Helmet, knee/wrist guards.)

Personally enjoy more first image. Small wheels matter!!!

Don't forget, not everyone makes an account on forum and talks about EUC's.. I bet there are many more of us who like small/slower wheels. We simply don't make big fuss about riding an euc.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 2