16x, T4 or something else for commuting?

I currently live in China and will be commuting to work about 7 miles each way.  Where I live, there are bicycle/PEV lanes that cover about 90% of my daily trek, so a relatively safe and flat ride.  Occasionally, I do like to get on public transit, so I don't want an EUC that's overly heavy, if possible.  I learned to ride on an Inmotion V8 but it now feels like a toy and I would like to upgrade.  Right now, I've got it narrowed down to the tried and trusted K-16x and the new Begode T4.   Where I am, the 16x is available for $1400 and the T4 for $1700 (not clear if it's still the v1 at that price though).  My heart wants to go with the suspension and extra speed on the T4, but my brain is telling me the 16x is a better overall fit for my purposes due to quality, weight and reliability.  Just wondering if there's a better option I might also take a look at?  Thanks!

Edit:  Also, looking at the V11 and Master, those are available for 1850 and 2000, respectively. 

Edited by BeagleWarrior
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know much about T4, but I can tell you that I own both V8F, V8S and 16X.  Unless I'm going for 15 miles or more, V8S/F is my go to wheel.  16X weight 50+ lb is kinda pain to lift.  If I remember correctly, I think V8F only weight 36 lb.   

On 12/10/2022 at 7:50 AM, BeagleWarrior said:

Where I am, the 16x is available for $1400 and the T4 for $1700 (not clear if it's still the v1 at that price though).  My heart wants to go with the suspension and extra speed on the T4, but my brain is telling me the 16x is a better overall fit for my purposes due to quality, weight and reliability.

I agree with your brain :) The extra top speed is only useful if you have to join car traffic. The 16X will easily beat any bicycle and you typically don't want to go much faster than the traffic you ride in (which is mostly bicycles and PEVs I assume). The 16X should also require much less maintenance than the T4, and has purportedly better waterproofing (and overall is simpler and lighter). I would actually prefer a V11 over a T4. While older, it's a proven, refined allrounder and apparently still has the best headlight on the market (bright but not blinding which is really appreciated in a bike lane). The 18" tire also offers better comfort, more aftermarket tire options. And it's still lighter than the T4!

• Upvote 2

I'd go 16X myself, because you mentioned commuting (daily, need high reliability) and bike lanes (raw speed not required). V11 is an option mostly because it might be more comfortable depending on how well maintained your bike lanes are, but it's not quite as jump-on-and-go-every-day as the 16X!

You could probably go with a smaller lighter wheel too, or a smidge bigger with the 18L/XL depending on how much size matters.

• 1 month later...
On 12/29/2022 at 8:40 AM, Tawpie said:

I'd go 16X myself, because you mentioned commuting (daily, need high reliability) and bike lanes (raw speed not required). V11 is an option mostly because it might be more comfortable depending on how well maintained your bike lanes are, but it's not quite as jump-on-and-go-every-day as the 16X!

You could probably go with a smaller lighter wheel too, or a smidge bigger with the 18L/XL depending on how much size matters.

I vote 16x

May also be contributing to necro'ing this thread, but I know from experience that although road conditions vary depending on where you are in China or even within a given city, they're very rarely as bad as the roads in peanuts-for-taxes-to-road-maintenance Houston. Non-standard paved roads (brick or even raised brick is not uncommon) are more common but those shouldn't be much of a bother for a 16" tire. You'd be able to keep up with almost all of the mopeds on a 16x alone too, so you're unlikely to get zipped by copared to on a bike or V8.

Another thing to keep in mind for your use case is rain. The 16x isn't a winner for preventing water ingress but it should win out in this case as well. What did you end up deciding on OP?