V-11 flappy pedal

jmsjms

How is a flappy pedal tightened when each of the 4 screws are screwed tight? Where else should I check next?

Is it the rod that runs inside and across the pedal? I stuck the allen wrench and started spinning, but I guess it has nothing to do with that.

Is there supposed to be a screw if you look from the bottom of the pedals up? There are holes on both pedals if you look up from under the pedal.

Thanks.

Yes, the grub screw to tighten the axle of the V11 pedals is on the underside of the hanger. AFAIK the V11 pedal axle has a flat side specifically for the screw so it can be held firmly, so make sure you position the axle correctly before tightening the screw.

• Like 2

I tried to tighten it: it spins freely when I turn the allen wrench to the right side; but it tightens when I turn to the left side. But it didn't make any difference to the pedal: it is still flappy.... On the other pedal -- the good pedal -- was the opposite: right turns tightens; left turn loosens.

I will try to be inventive and see if I can wrap wire around it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

When both grub screws are worn out and skipping, is it over? What's the next option when both of my pedals are flappy? I was thinking that I can glue a magnet to the pedal that will attach to another magnet when the pedal is up.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, how can the grub screws be worn out if you've never used them?

Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing, I'm uploading a picture of the grub screw that tightens the pedal. The inserted allen key is a 4mm one, which comes in the included V11 toolkit. I hope the grub screw isn't actually missing (e.g. by falling out)?

If your pedal assembly is really worn out, you can buy replacements. I found this link to start with: https://myewheel.com/inmotion-v11-pedals-assembly/

InmotionV11pedal.jpg

• Like 1

The V11 pedal is held tight by three screws. One on the underside in the middle, which arrests the axis so it won’t move at all, and then two screws in front and behind of the axis with a plastic between the screw and the the metal bar itself that control the friction. If the pedals are floppy, most likely you need to tighten the front and back screws. If you find out they are loosing the friction quickly, a bit of Loctite might help. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Yes, we are talking about the same grub screw. Right now both pedals are flappy; one grub screw is skipping as I turn, while the other is completely tight -- yet the pedal is almost as flappy as the other one.... But it's okay, I surrender, and I will order magnets.

Edited by jmsjms

This grub screw in the middle does NOT tighten the pedals. It arrests their axis that should not move at all no matter how flappy the pedals are. What changes the flappines are the two screws in front and back of the pedal. The picture bellow is for V10 and older, but the principle is still the same - flappiness is changed by pressing the two white plastic heads against the either ends of the axis.

image.png.2a339d3600bb6e68f9b0601db55caa9b.png

Also, when you say the screw is skipping - is it really the screw (in which case, I wonder how it doesn't fall out during a ride), or just the hex screwdriver in the socket (in which case, you are not tightening it at all)?

Edited by Zopper
  • Upvote 1

My hextech pedals behave the same.. Under pedal "the one crew" holds the pedal rod/axle in place.. (In my case Hextech pedals after closing the pedals against the EUC body they stay closed. Or little bit open - yes you can regulate the spacing, how closed/open are the pedals left against EUC body.)

Side screws make it tighter. To stop pedal from "flapping", you need to tighten the side screws.. (If you don't have the white plastic parts. Buy/Mold/Make something similar, so they can press against rod/axle.. Stopping the pedals from flapping. (Those white plastics are pressing against rod/axle itself - stopping the flap.)

12 hours ago, Zopper said:

...when you say the screw is skipping - is it really the screw (in which case, I wonder how it doesn't fall out during a ride), or just the hex screwdriver in the socket (in which case, you are not tightening it at all)?

It is the screw that is skipping, not the screw driver. Yes, I hope the pedals don't come off. I just tried pushing and pulling, but they are in place.

11 hours ago, Funky said:

My hextech pedals behave the same.. Under pedal "the one crew" holds the pedal rod/axle in place.. (In my case Hextech pedals after closing the pedals against the EUC body they stay closed. Or little bit open - yes you can regulate the spacing, how closed/open are the pedals left against EUC body.)

Side screws make it tighter. To stop pedal from "flapping", you need to tighten the side screws.. (If you don't have the white plastic parts. Buy/Mold/Make something similar, so they can press against rod/axle.. Stopping the pedals from flapping. (Those white plastics are pressing against rod/axle itself - stopping the flap.)

There is nothing in the side holes. 2 side holes for each pedal, right? On each of them (the 4 of them) 1.25 inches inside into the cylindrical hole -- it is empty; and then the hex screwdriver reaches something about 1.25 inches deeper, but it can't grab it whatever type of screw it is.... So, I don't know what is inside of them.

By the way, I didn't want to throw blame, but my pedals were fine. Only after my wheel came back from repair for the motherboard (I will not mention the vendor), I received the wheel with 2 flappy pedals.

Edited by jmsjms

9 minutes ago, jmsjms said:

here is nothing in the side holes. 2 side holes for each pedal, right? On each of them (the 4 of them) 1.25 inches inside into the cylindrical hole -- it is empty; and then the hex screwdriver reaches something about 1.25 inches deeper, but it can't grab it whatever type of screw it is.... So, I don't know what is inside of them.

This is the hardware used for the pedals.

image.thumb.png.bc2919b0897ea1b4420509c18404d7ad.png

6 hours ago, jmsjms said:

When I look with a flashlight inside, deep inside there is something like that metal rod -- but the screws with the white thing are missing.

I bet the workshop simply misplaced those "WHITE" plastic things..  (You need those plastic to stop the flopping.) Those white plastic presses against the ROD. Stopping the flop..  

We are talking about SIDE screws. Not under pedal hanger one < That one doesn't need the white plastic. Only side screws need the white plastic.

You can find anything in workshop, shop, etc.. Something that can be replaced into that hole. It will do that trick. (Best option would be if you can find any plastic around ROD thickness.)

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, jmsjms said:

There is nothing in the side holes. 2 side holes for each pedal, right? On each of them (the 4 of them) 1.25 inches inside into the cylindrical hole -- it is empty; and then the hex screwdriver reaches something about 1.25 inches deeper, but it can't grab it whatever type of screw it is.... So, I don't know what is inside of them.

Yes those 2 "side" holes (4 together.) You need to have some kind filler. (Originally they had those white plastics.) You need to find plastic replacements.. (How long i don't know..) Mine white plastics where ~5mm long. You need those white palstic so long that grub screws - when screwed "IN" stay flush against pedal side. (They may go little deeper.)

12312313.png

Edited by Funky
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, jmsjms said:

It is the screw that is skipping, not the screw driver. Yes, I hope the pedals don't come off. I just tried pushing and pulling, but they are in place.

That's bad. In that case, I would drill the screw hole a bit larger, made a new thread and put in a new screw (it will be a a step or two wider because the hole is wider). If you are missing the 2x2 side screws and can't tighten the central one, you risk that the axis will fall out.

If this problem appeared after it came out of a repair, contact the service. Maybe they will admit their error and fix it.

1 hour ago, Zopper said:

That's bad. In that case, I would drill the screw hole a bit larger, made a new thread and put in a new screw (it will be a a step or two wider because the hole is wider). If you are missing the 2x2 side screws and can't tighten the central one, you risk that the axis will fall out.

If this problem appeared after it came out of a repair, contact the service. Maybe they will admit their error and fix it.

Maybe it's skipping - because of not having the "white" plastic.. Because now screw is going deeper, past the treads? How long/deep are the treads in the pedals themselves?

Edited by Funky

12 hours ago, Funky said:

Maybe it's skipping - because of not having the "white" plastic.. Because now screw is going deeper, past the treads? How long/deep are the treads in the pedals themselves?

When I turn the hex screwdriver, the bottom screw is skipping, but not going deeper; it is somewhere 1/4" inside the whole and keeps turning, and also I saw little tiny pieces of metal shred coming out as I was turning... which means it was carving something... so, that's why I stopped messing with it and just left it like that.

13 hours ago, Zopper said:

Oh no, I am finished with that vendor; my next wheel will be from elsewhere. I got the wheel back last year too, so it would be too late to complain.

13 hours ago, Zopper said:

I wouldn't drill because I'll make a mistake.

If I search on the web for 4 White Plastic (pieces) and 4 screws, what are they called?

If I can't find them on the web, can I try to stuff the 4 holes with something else? Rubber glue, Styrofoam, rubber cylinders, rubber ear plugs?

Edited by jmsjms

23 minutes ago, jmsjms said:

When I turn the hex screwdriver, the bottom screw is skipping, but not going deeper; it is somewhere 1/4" inside the whole and keeps turning, and also I saw little tiny pieces of metal shred coming out as I was turning... which means it was carving something... so, that's why I stopped messing with it and just left it like that.

Yeah striped tread.. That screw does nothing now. - Only option is to drill bigger hole, then make new treads. And use bigger screw..

17 minutes ago, jmsjms said:

If I can't find them on the web, can I try to stuff the 4 holes with something else? Rubber glue, Styrofoam, rubber cylinders, rubber ear plugs?

Simply find something "hard" enough to replace.. (Original - those white thing are made from hard plastic.) Screws can be found in any workshop store..

Rubber, glue, styrofoam - TOO soft..

You won't find those "white plastic" standalone - most cases you will be buying new pedals. (That's why i said find something to replace them..) Buy a plastic cutting board for 5$ and cut out a little plastic. :D Use your imaginations - anything that has hard plastic.. And is thick enough.

Edited by Funky

If the the middle grub screw is stripped and the side ones are missing, the axis can eventually fall out. So I think that a rethreading and a new screw or getting new side screws is necessary for safety.

And the rethreading is a simple thing. If you would bring me the pedal hanger, or even the whole U frame with both pedals, it would be about a beer or two for the job. Ask around between your craftier friends. Getting the old screw and axis out if it is stripped at an unfortunate depth is going to be the hardest part of it.

Edited by Zopper