Going from Mten3 to T4. Harder than I thought.

Chad

Anyone else ever start on a really small wheel like the Mten3 and then move to a somewhat larger wheel? How long did it take you to get acclimated? My Begode T4 came in today. I anticipated that it would be a little difficult with the larger wheel and weight but it was even harder than I imagined. I'm so used to being to able to balance easily at a really slow speed and I found that to be really hard. Felt like I was constantly about to dump the wheel. How long did it take you to get proficient with the larger wheel? I have about 700 miles on my Mten3. 

6 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

I went the other way, from a larger wheel (16X) to the MTen3. It was 'quite' challenging. Stick with it, it's more a matter of getting used to things than anything else!

And Congrats on your new toy!!!

Thanks! It sucks there is so little daylight now. Barely will have time to practice until the weekend. 

The Mten is a very unique wheel in exactly that, it’s easy to balance while almost stationary. Just take more speed (jogging speed) on the T4 and you’ll get started with getting used to it in no time!

Yeah I went from MS3V to Master which was a similar experience - I was genuinely shocked to find I couldn't immediately get on it and go after 2 and half thousand hours on smaller wheels ! But, it was just case of (radically) recalibrating my riding style, and firming up some additional muscles I didn't know I had or needed, and a month later I am much more comfortable on that wheel, its vast weight and power seem much more manageable, and I am already feeling like I can't ever go back... indeed it is only a month later that I am starting to truly feel the magnificent joy of this ride...

If you are like me you will find that going the other way is equally 'different' - after a month on the T4, the Mten3 will feel like the skiddiest, skatiest, zippiest little terrier compared to the weighty cadillac ride your muscles are now expecting ! I find it interesting that although these larger wheels are so much more powerful they still require more work to give effective input to. Acceleration is purposeful and powerful, but starts slowly, and is nothing like as 'zippy' as on smaller wheels. Likewise, braking requires much bigger leans and takes way longer. In some ways I wish I had gone for the T4 - it's certainly more suitable for my tiny weight class than the Master, but thanks to the joy of pre-order waits and Gotway releasing a new wheel every other week I didn't have that option. Enjoy your wonderful new wheel !

Edited by Cerbera

So a few days ago I went from my 16x to an s18, no problem felt almost the same. Then…I jumped on an s22 and could ride it but it did not feel good at all! Sketchy as hell, wanted to get off within a few minutes so as not to crash it!

41 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

The Mten is a very unique wheel in exactly that, it’s easy to balance while almost stationary. Just take more speed (jogging speed) on the T4 and you’ll get started with getting used to it in no time!

I'll definitely miss that aspect. Was really nice to feel in complete control even going 1 mph. How hard is it to turn around on these larger wheels? Can you learn to turn on a dime or is that just not an option?

38 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Yeah I went from MS3V to Master which was a similar experience - I was genuinely shocked to find I couldn't immediately get on it and go after 2 and half thousand hours on smaller wheels ! But, it was just case of (radically) recalibrating my riding style, and firming up some additional muscles I didn't know I had or needed, and a month later I am much more comfortable on that wheel, its vast weight and power seem much more manageable, and I am already feeling like I can't ever go back... indeed it is only a month later that I am starting to truly feel the magnificent joy of this ride...

If you are like me you will find that going the other way is equally 'different' - after a month on the T4, the Mten3 will feel like the skiddiest, skatiest, zippiest little terrier compared to the weighty cadillac ride your muscles are now expecting ! I find it interesting that although these larger wheels are so much more powerful they still require more work to give effective input to. Acceleration is purposeful and powerful, but starts slowly, and is nothing like as 'zippy' as on smaller wheels. Likewise, braking requires much bigger leans and takes way longer. In some ways I wish I had gone for the T4 - it's certainly more suitable for my tiny weight class than the Master, but thanks to the joy of pre-order waits and Gotway releasing a new wheel every other week I didn't have that option. Enjoy your wonderful new wheel !

I know the Master and T4 are similar in make, how durable would you say they are if I'm dropping the T4 at low speeds? My Mten3 got pretty beat up the first few days I was learning. It also had a tendency to catch the ground a certain way when I would fall where it would spin and fly up into the air. Hopefully that's not a thing with this one. 

8 minutes ago, Crab said:

So a few days ago I went from my 16x to an s18, no problem felt almost the same. Then…I jumped on an s22 and could ride it but it did not feel good at all! Sketchy as hell, wanted to get off within a few minutes so as not to crash it!

I almost went with the Begode Commander instead of the T4. I guess that really would have been difficult. 

Idk it could have been the pads he had on it, I was so locked in I couldn’t move around at all. Perhaps if everything was adjusted to my liking I would have had a different experience. Also the stock tire has a flatter profile, when you lean it over too far it feels like it’s going to fall off the edge.

CD620A4B-A891-49A4-A086-C26F81A97F51.jpeg

Edited by Crab

1 hour ago, Chad said:

How hard is it to turn around on these larger wheels?

At lower speeds you need a lot more hip wrench to get it round tight corners, and exaggerated movement, but the Master can do it, so the T4 definitely can. Probably won't be doing 180s on the spot anytime soon though, without a lot of practice. Pumping up tyre more will help with that if you don't mind skating about on the rim...

1 hour ago, Chad said:

how durable would you say they are if I'm dropping the T4 at low speeds?

Depends what you have done to it to help its durability ! If it just falls over on its side from almost stationary, that'll probably be fine unless you are particularly unlucky, but its weight is its own worst enemy in a crash, so you will want to pad all areas of the battery packs that aren't covered already. I did metal plates on the inside of the packs too.

Even though your T4 seems the opposite, it is in fact more stable than smaller wheels at lower speeds once you get past 2 kph. I used to worry about the Master constantly tipping on me when following slow moving pedestrians, but now I'm more used to it I can remain pretty much still left/right-wise and maintain a snails pace crawl and feel planted doing it. 

Edited by Cerbera

1 hour ago, Chad said:

Anyone else ever start on a really small wheel like the Mten3 and then move to a somewhat larger wheel? How long did it take you to get acclimated? My Begode T4 came in today. I anticipated that it would be a little difficult with the larger wheel and weight but it was even harder than I imagined. I'm so used to being to able to balance easily at a really slow speed and I found that to be really hard. Felt like I was constantly about to dump the wheel. How long did it take you to get proficient with the larger wheel? I have about 700 miles on my Mten3. 

Larger wheels are much harder to ride at slower speed.  Perhaps you could try riding your T4 at a jogging speed or faster.

1 hour ago, Chad said:

It also had a tendency to catch the ground a certain way when I would fall where it would spin and fly up into the air.

This is known as the Gotway Dance. Little thing will smash your leg if you're not leaping out of the way when it does that.

The reason is that the tilt cutoff comes just a bit too late... when the wheel tips over slowly, it touches first on the pedal hanger and lifts the tire off the ground. This happens before the tilt angle cuts it off, and losing contact with the ground allows the motor to spin up to full speed. If the wheel rocks back so that the rapidly spinning tire touches the ground again, it takes off like a whirling dervish.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chad said:

How hard is it to turn around on these larger wheels? Can you learn to turn on a dime or is that just not an option?

It just takes a lot more effort and a different technique. But with concentration and practice it’s still definitely doable on a 16x3”. But a 18x3” at 2mph will always be quite a chore.

Learn to reverse on the T4, even for short distances, and your low speed balance improves substantially. Concentrate on switching from forwards to reverse and back (essentially idling), and stopping becomes a non-issue.

• Like 2

You'll get used to it quickly. Even the switch from my V10F to my V11 was pretty difficult for me at first, but now I can switch back and forth between the two wheels pretty effortlessly.

Day 2 was much better. I was able to ride with pretty much no issue for around 30 minutes throughout my neighborhood. I've never had really any fatigue from riding my Mten3 but this ride had my legs shaking at the end! 

Still having trouble making tight turns and mounting the T4, but I'll be back at it tomorrow. I haven't fallen yet the side of my left leg is bruised badly, even through the power pads.  

• Like 1

When I first learnt to ride it was on my RS, I had a quite sore side of my leg from the pressure on the wheel.  There isn't really anything to do about it, your body will adjust and so will your brain.  Give it a few days and you will be fine.  My next real challenge will be to adapt to a taller heavier wheel with higher pedals and suspension - I'm talking about ~50% heavier.  But I know I'll adapt even if it takes a few days and a decent number of hours of riding.  You learn and adapt and then everything is OK.  Don't worry Chad, you got this!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a recent EUC enthusiast. I've started on the MTen3 as well. After about 100 miles (170km) I am now really comfortable. I hope to upgrade to a T4 early next year. I also was hoping that the transition wasn't too bad - I use my MTen3 for commuting, and I really like how slowly and controlled I can be amongst pedestrians when I'm downtown. Sounds like larger wheels need a bit more speed, so maybe I'll need different wheels for different situations!