Learning - My S18 is beating me up! Pads & Stands?

Grandpa_Jay

I am assuming some padding would make a difference??  I am about ready to pull out the Velcro and start hunting for foam!  Can any of you point me in the right direction for padding my KS S18, please.

ALSO - what about a kick stand for this wheel?  I have seen the $75 that can be ordered - what about some less expensive DIY options?

Bummer about getting beat up... what part(s) are most offending? The typical first action is liberal application of baby bumper foam, the self adhesive stuff used to keep toddlers from banging on table edges. https://a.co/d/d7JFFt0 Most pressure sensitive adhesives won't stick well to the gray rubber stuff, I bought a can of adhesive primer that works wonders (3M 94)

There isn't a great selection of 'pads' for the S18, the surfaces are difficult to 3D print for. I have "Russian" pads by Mono-customize... they're great looking and cushy, but aren't functional power pads.

As to kickstands, the only ones I've seen are more "roll onto its nose stands". 3D printed of course. I have some on my wheel, but usually just lay it on its side if there's no wall handy. The 'stand' isn't particularly stable, and that's typical of most kickstands... they'll work, sort of.

Edited by Tawpie

33 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

Bummer about getting beat up... what part(s) are most offending? The typical first action is liberal application of baby bumper foam, the self adhesive stuff used to keep toddlers from banging on table edges. https://a.co/d/d7JFFt0 Most pressure sensitive adhesives won't stick well to the gray rubber stuff, I bought a can of adhesive primer that works wonders (3M 94)

There isn't a great selection of 'pads' for the S18, the surfaces are difficult to 3D print for. I have "Russian" pads by Mono-customize... they're great looking and cushy, but aren't functional power pads.

As to kickstands, the only ones I've seen are more "roll onto its nose stands". 3D printed of course. I have some on my wheel, but usually just lay it on its side if there's no wall handy. The 'stand' isn't particularly stable, and that's typical of most kickstands... they'll work, sort of.

Hi - My ankles are very bruised. and the inside of my knees. Chins are my own fault!  I can't even find out how much the Monocustomize pads are from Russia - they only seem to be on Instagram and I don't have that.

Thanks for the reply!

Pads have 2 functions in EUCs - they are either more comfortable than stock ones, or they allow better communication of input to the wheel by providing more surface to physically push against. If it's the first you are looking for, then Tawpie's suggestion of Baby bumper strip is what I'd recommend too. All my wheels have been covered in that, but not primarily for comfort so much as for additional protection of wheel and the things it might hit in a fall.

Also check your footwear. If the pain you are getting is in your calf as you repeatedly try and mount the wheel you will feel that considerably less if you are wearing some sort of MC or tough walking boot that goes a considerable distance up your calves. MotoX boots are luxury in this department, and second to none in terms of protection, but unideal in many other ways (too stiff / heavy). But if you are wearing good boots you may find you don't need extra padding in addition during the learning phase. Personally I love Touring MC boots - they are the best of both worlds in that they are supremely comfortable, put at least 3 layers of padding and leather between you and the wheel, go most of the way up your shin, yet are ribbed in front for perfect forward / back flexibility, which is what we need on our wheels.

image.png.7ad4f57b8d95d5f80ed64f45de50d294.png

Some touring MC boots, yesterday.

Once getting up on the machine is no longer 'an event' that you have to do many times in a row you will find that your calves stop hurting anyway, partly as they get used to the pressure there, partly because your stance will be wider and shell contact will become more minimal over time and partly because you'll typically only have to do it once or twice in most journeys.

I wouldn't bother with a kick stand personally - indeed the only reason I added to mine was for reinforcement reasons, not because I wanted to use it - in practice there is nearly ALWAYS a wall, a tree, or some other surface nearby to lean a wheel against when you need to...

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If your ankles get beaten up, indeed, try shoes that cover your ankles.

Remember not to squeeze the wheel! The S18 has a wide top part, so it will surely press against your leg if you try to grab onto the wheel while riding. There’s no need to do that, the wheel follows you if you start to tilt in any direction without squeezing as well.

• Like 1