Onewheel CPSC Warning

Cerbera

I'm only beginning to look at this but I think this thread should be on the general forum as this government statement contains the potential for being highly threatening to our area of concern. Initially this sounds like ignorance on the part of government and then over-reacting.

Edited by Roadpower
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Roadpower said:

I'm only beginning to look at this but I think this thread should be on the general forum

Yes I umm'd and aah'd about where to put it, but my moderator instincts made me put in the the 'most correct' place :) No doubt Mods here will move it if they think it needs to be somewhere else.

But yes, if those CPSC guys can consider one-wheel's kicking people off occasionally as a supreme threat to safety than god knows what they'd do if they ever saw a Gotway ! :/ Surely the message here should be 'wear your gear', rather than 'Recall everything' and looking for an outright ban.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

Hopefully the mods will look and discuss. One part of me says that this is utterly ridiculous and will die on the vine if Future Motion (with help from everyone concerned..) will fight this and the other part of me is highly threatened by this because I know how bumbling, stupid and powerful government is.

Here's the original CPSC statement for reference, from which I infer that their problem is with cut-outs. And if that is the case, well then that's really not looking very good for us EUC people either is it ? They cite 'head trauma' as being the cause of the 4 deaths so far, but don't mention if any of those people were wearing helmets, as would seem sensible.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Newsroom/News-Releases/2023/CPSC-Warns-Consumers-to-Stop-Using-Onewheel-Self-Balancing-Electric-Skateboards-Due-to-Ejection-Hazard-At-Least-Four-Deaths-and-Multiple-Injuries-Reported

Future Motion appear to be not having any of it at the moment, and max props to them for making some very salient points about the reasons and expectations of the people riding these things. But it's hard not to be worried for them (and consequently us) if CPSC decides it's going to go beyond issuing warnings.

Edited by Cerbera

Okay in my attempt to keep balanced, here is a post on that Youtube video to consider. I edited it slightly to conform to common standards.

THIS IS THE DEFECT: when you use Onewheel there is a certain point where the Onewheel can't hold the angle of ride anymore - since the acceleration is built into the angle the unit can't just reduce the speed - it will give rider audio signal (they call it PUSHBACK mode) and will try to fix the angle by tilting it back to reduce the speed. Again this is because the speed and acceleration are built into the angle the unit can't just ignore the angle, so the result is that when the rider forces with his weight the angle - the unit instead of just slowing down - the unit collapses and the engine no more self balances.

The fix to this problem is to disengage the motor from the angle so that once the unit feels it can't handle the angle it should start reducing the speed gradually to zero for example if the rider will not get out of pushback state in 5 seconds and not allow the rider to continue force himself on the unit to keep take him in high speed in PUSHBACK mode. This is the basic defect in design, the result unfortunately is that the users who died - didn't listen to the manufacturers recommendation but the manufacturers also enable a machine that enables people to die on it so they also have responsibility.

Okay now that I understand the complaint better I can first calm myself down (like I implied, I do not like government, I have a lifetime of seeing disasters caused by them which has admittedly made me hostile to government). What the poster appears to be saying is that this is fundamentally a geometry issue, as such this may be a legitimate and irreconcilable problem of the Onewheel platform. I will have to step back from this debate and see what more informed people have to say about it, for now.