Unable to step on

never_home

2 hours ago, Paul A said:

The top pad does look like it would be better to be removed.

Thanks

item.JPG

Yes, my plan is to remove it completely (it has already nearly fallen off on the RHS) and stick some 10mm foam yoga mat from just above ankle bone height to the top of the side panel, wrapping over the top if possible to replicate the original pad.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mrelwood said:

One thing though, don’t cram your foot against the shell. You need a little room to be able to tilt the wheel for (especially low speed) turns. As you advance, your leg will only touch the shell very gently every now and then. Trying to achieve a more supported feeling from the shell prohibits more than it achieves.

Thank you

I was trying to do that in order to be more 'at one' with the shell.  I'll try being a little looser.

Thanks again

D

• Upvote 1

On 11/19/2022 at 6:46 PM, never_home said:

The problem is simply the difficulty of raising my right leg off the floor without causing pain to my left leg and maintaining the wheel upright. 

I had this problem too. I could not possibly learn without padding my lower legs, because it was too much pain. In the end, I used hard shin pads pointing inwards.

Otherwise, try to quickly jump/hop on while holding on to something very sturdy.

Good advice on not having my feet too close to the shell, I tried it yesterday and now I can turn!  I was foot up tight to the shell and was having a hard time with some of the tight turns I see on YouTube!  Most I could manage was a gentle arc or a (what I call ) a flick turn.  Learning a lot, having fun!  Thanks all! 

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

As an alternative to modding your EUC, you could buy cloth shin guards and turn them inwards to protect your inner legs.

Even though I learned to ride using support to mount and launch before doing free mount (30 minutes a day, waited till day 5 after I could ride reasonably well before free mounting), I was getting some bruising (I was 69 years old when I started, part of the issue), and I bought some cloth shin guards which solved the issue. After 2 weeks or so, I no longer needed them. I have a V8F which has pretty soft pads at the top, unlike some other wheels, so you may need to use the shin guards for longer than I did.

Yeah, it definitely hurts to be one-legging it initially. But as others say, if you keep putting pressure on the same place regularly, that contact area of your leg will firm up, and sort itself out so it resists that pain over a few weeks, and eventually it will just not hurt to do it. This is another reason why MC boots are a good idea, as they come right up your calves, and cushion that part that gets the most pressure, AND you can add baby bumper strip to either the wheel or in the inside of MC boots for extra cushioning there, so it becomes really very comfortable.

I really never had this problem, side of leg hurting and such.. (I had foot/muscle cramps first month.) Because while you are mounting it, the side of EUC pressed ~1 second against your upper leg.

Same for one leg riding. One day while riding at beach - i wanted to try riding one legged. I simply lifted one leg 90 degree position behind my back and there i was riding one legged. Going ~5-10km/h speed.:D 

I also learned free mounting first, before riding.. I literally was balancing in place. (Because i wasn't leaning forwards enough.) For whole 3 days.. Before i said duck this. At 4th day - when i did the superman lean forwards. THAT get me going right then and there. Riding was easy.. I think it was easy for me, because i was already standing in place "balancing" for 3 days lol.

Edited by Funky

• 2 weeks later...

I was surprised that having ridden my V8 for two years and 2000 kms without any mounting issues…..When I got my V12 I started to have some problems initially. I guess it’s because the wheel is talker, and much more too heavy. At the start, it seemed very unstable when mounting..Also, I found it was very, very slow to get going compared to the V8… I had to stand well forward a really get on the toes to get it to accelerate off.  I’m getting there now..but it was a bit of a struggle at the start. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nostris said:

I was surprised that having ridden my V8 for two years and 2000 kms without any mounting issues…..When I got my V12 I started to have some problems initially. I guess it’s because the wheel is talker, and much more too heavy. At the start, it seemed very unstable when mounting..Also, I found it was very, very slow to get going compared to the V8… I had to stand well forward a really get on the toes to get it to accelerate off.  I’m getting there now..but it was a bit of a struggle at the start. 

yeah, i look at how some riders have the pads and pedals positioned on the s22 and i think my skeletal structure must be different. moving the pedals forward and down was like night and day.

22 hours ago, novazeus said:

yeah, i look at how some riders have the pads and pedals positioned on the s22 and i think my skeletal structure must be different. moving the pedals forward and down was like night and day.

Eventually, I found a solution amongst the formidable a mount of settings and options on the V12.. Having read a lot about the V12 on the forums..many of the resident ‘ Experts’ ( X being the unknown factor…and spurt being a drip under pressure! ) advised setting Off-road Mode and Full hard pedals..it was the only way to go apparently!!   It’s great when you are already rolling, but to get going..really it’s not.  In frustration! I set Commuter Mode and soft pedals at 25%…..It’s completely transformed now and behaves as I would expect it to and became thoroughly enjoyable. So, folks..beware what you read on forums. There are plenty that know even less than you who are more than happy to pass on second hand information that they have little to no personal experience of👍

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Nostris said:

Eventually, I found a solution amongst the formidable a mount of settings and options on the V12.. Having read a lot about the V12 on the forums..many of the resident ‘ Experts’ ( X being the unknown factor…and spurt being a drip under pressure! ) advised setting Off-road Mode and Full hard pedals..it was the only way to go apparently!!   It’s great when you are already rolling, but to get going..really it’s not.  In frustration! I set Commuter Mode and soft pedals at 25%…..It’s completely transformed now and behaves as I would expect it to and became thoroughly enjoyable. So, folks..beware what you read on forums. There are plenty that know even less than you who are more than happy to pass on second hand information that they have little to no personal experience of👍

for me, and i've tried different pedal settings, and soft pedals freaked me out. it's entirely a personal preference. right now i think my s18 and s22 pedals are dipping when i take my 90 degree curve at speed, but it's probably my overly sensitive mind imagining it. my pedals are set as hard as they can be. i have lowered the psi 5 pounds from the max sidewall pressure of 41 psi. the 9bots i've owned, e+, s1, s2, z10, all had funky pedal softness. the best algorithm for me was the v10f but it was recalled due to fires.  wheels are like humans and cows, all different, u just adapt to them.

i started a topic, one size doesn't fit everybody. and humans argue about that.

kuji weighs about as much as legs, he's gonna ride differently than me.but i'm sure he could teach me about riding, although i have no desire to go down stairs and stuff like that. i don't take unnecessary risks. i approach wheels like tom kite told me about playing golf, he said in golf, monotony is the spice of life. i don't fall and don't plan on it. i also go slow. getting hurt isn't an option for me. my cows are dangerous enough. still have a broken thumb from a 550 pound heifer running over me.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, now that I have “slightly “ more experience, over 100 miles on my V12HT (and not had an unscheduled departure in 75 miles) I have decided on my preferred settings on my wheel.  I think the huge amount of adjustments actually slowed my learning process.  With InMotion providing minimal guidance on the multitude of settings I dinked around adjusting my wheel not knowing what to expect or was I receiving what I adjusted.   I hope Inmotion has the “product manual “ available soon on their somewhat marginal app.  Seems a shame to design a complex device and not tell the consumer all of its secrets of safe use! 

2 hours ago, Jkay said:

Well, now that I have “slightly “ more experience, over 100 miles on my V12HT (and not had an unscheduled departure in 75 miles) I have decided on my preferred settings on my wheel.  I think the huge amount of adjustments actually slowed my learning process. 

This is why I looked at the how to ride videos. In Wrong Ways videos, and advice I've seen elsewhere, start with hard setting, which is 100% on all 3 settings on V12, despite the description being pedal "softness" depending on app and model. At 100%, there's no difference between commuter | off-road. As Wrong Way mentions start with hard,  mess with the settings later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW-y5RiecMc&t=195s

Edited by rcgldr
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, rcgldr said:

As Wrong Way mentions start with hard,  mess with the settings later.

Well, WrongWay has been wrong before. And he doesn’t even use the hard mode himself anymore. This guy recommends starting with 70% Commuting:

Edited by mrelwood

17 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Well, WrongWay has been wrong before. And he doesn’t even use the hard mode himself anymore.

His statement was that beginners start off with hard mode, and then adjust with the settings later (after they've learned to ride).

As for the settings once a person has learned to ride, Wrong Way includes a list of recommended settings in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXjiJ2uRNOg

Any InMotion: Hard | King-Song: S18: Medium/Hard  | Other King Song: Hard | Begode/GotWay: mten3: hard |  MCM5: hard |  Nikola: medium/hard | MSX: hard |  MSP or RS19 HT: medium/hard |  MSP or RS19 HS: medium/hard | EXN: medium/hard | EX: medium/hard | Monster Pro: medium | Veteran Sherman: hard

Note his video was made in 2021, before the V13. Dawn Champion, Marty Backe (who does very long rides), and other youtubers use hard mode on the V13, at least if riding on pavement. I suspect this is because they want it to feel similar to Begode EUCs which have a very hard setting.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rcgldr said:

His statement was that beginners start off with hard mode, and then adjust with the settings later (after they've learned to ride).

And my statement is that it would be better and easier, as well as proven to be less painful and require less effort to start in medium mode, or 70% Commuter in Inmotions. One can adjust the setting for requiring more effort and be more exhausting once  one learns to assess the ride mode differences.

6 hours ago, rcgldr said:

Note his video was made in 2021

My video is newer, made in 2023.

i appreciate any help on freemounting. that's my next goal. i want to be able to step on and look like i know what i'm doing. i just hate practicing freemounting. i know i have to, but it's not as fun as just riding. 

the feature of the v13 with it's wide flat tire probably would have made it easier to freemount, so naturally i switched to the michelin pilot street 2, which really makes the wheel tippy.

i am getting better at grabbing the wheel while still vertical if my stepping off gets wonky. 

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

i appreciate any help on freemounting. that's my next goal. i want to be able to step on and look like i know what i'm doing. i just hate practicing freemounting. i know i have to, but it's not as fun as just riding. 

the feature of the v13 with it's wide flat tire probably would have made it easier to freemount, so naturally i switched to the michelin pilot street 2, which really makes the wheel tippy.

i am getting better at grabbing the wheel while still vertical if my stepping off gets wonky. 

:D Fist thing i did was learned to free mount... I didn't even try riding, because if my mind - i thought i need to be available to mount and dismount fist, before attempting to ride. Didn't use any support/fences - nothing. Simply step on and go.

As soon as you place your feet from ground on pedal - lean forwards fast - so wheel start to go. Standing in place you will lose balance pretty fast. The more you lean forwards - the better. Try pushing off the ground with one leg so wheel start to move forwards and while it's moving (riding one legged) you place your feet on pedal. Best thing one can learn is riding one legged. As you are available to start/stop much better. As mention you can kick off the ground like skateboard. And at stops you can already be lifting the feet of the pedal as you stop and place the feet on ground.

Also as you mount you need to press against wheel side at somewhat angle. I don't even think about how i mount it anymore... I simply hoop on in 1 second ang go. I don't even look at euc anymore.. Wheel is already going forwards as i position the feet that left the ground on pedal.

My story how i started to ride: For 3 days i could not ride even one meter. As soon as i lifted the foot from ground and put on pedal - i lost balance. (My biggest mistake was not leaning forwards enough. I literally was balancing 1-3 second in place and then tipped over as i lost balance.) For 3 days i did that for 20 mins each day. Without even going forwards once. 4th day i said DUCK IT and did superman lean forwards. That got me going, i did 1-10-15km/h speed pretty fast and i was riding. About 30 mins later i was going left/right and in circles. 2 days later i was already riding true city/people. Sure i still dropped my wheel time to time. As i put my feet on the ground to fast and wheel went forwards without me. Or i didn't catch it in time. But 2 weeks later i already was available to stop and control and ride one legged without much of a issue. Riding gave me ZERO issues.

Edited by Funky
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, rcgldr said:

9 hours ago, mrelwood said:

And my statement is that it would be better and easier, as well as proven to be less painful and require less effort to start in medium mode, or 70% Commuter in Inmotions. One can adjust the setting for requiring more effort and be more exhausting once  one learns to assess the ride mode differences.

A beginner is not going to be accelerating or braking hard, not much lean or torque exerted onto the EUC, and the rides will be relatively short. Since a typical beginner uses small movements, using a hard mode will result in the EUC responding more quickly to those small movements. There's also more sense of lean angle based on ankle bend with a hard pedal setting, which helps for small lean angles. Based on my own experience and what I've seen or read, this initial learning curve is about 1 to 3 hours for most beginners. For some beginners, the most exhaustive aspect would be trying to free mount, hopping and stepping on, before learning to ride, due to all the bailing and remounting involved when first learning, which is why Kuji Rolls, Wrong Way, and others recommend learning to ride before learning to free mount.

Once a rider has basic riding skills, then they can try adjusting the pedal settings.

On 3/26/2023 at 12:31 AM, mrelwood said:

less painful and require less effort to start in medium mode, or 70% Commuter in Inmotions.

Soft pedal settings can reduce overlean margin at high accelerations or high speeds on some EUCs. The V13 lowers maximum speed if the pedal settings are softer. Being unfamiliar with Inmotion EUCs, Marty saw the setting "pedal softness", and thought that 0% meant zero softness and would be hard mode. At 0%, the V13 reduces maximum speed to 37 mph. Once he got the settings straightened out, with "pedal softness" at 100%, the maximum speed changed to its normal maximum of 56 mph - 90 kph, but Inmotion speeds are about 7% high, and the GPS maximum speed is around 52 mph - 84 kph:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEgOhF9t8f4&t=204s

Marty had Dawn Champion do the maximum speed runs,  52 mph GPS - 84 kph:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqbevoSPKFQ

Edited by rcgldr

1 hour ago, rcgldr said:

The V13 lowers maximum speed if the pedal settings are softer.

Only if the pedal sensitivity is below 50%. My recommended starting point is 70%, or Medium mode on others than Inmotion.

Besides, new riders have no business going past 37 mph anyway.