Pushing 60 and against my families wishes - I just ordered my first EUC!

Grandpa_Jay

1 hour ago, Mono said:

it helps a lot if one can twist the wheel on the ground easily.

Yeah, there's pros and cons to that. If you learn hip twisting on grippy surfaces you'll build up the right muscles faster, and be better prepared for riding on those surfaces.

Secondarily, if you can twist the wheel too easily, you risk it over twisting, and slipping out the side if your CoG goes too far off axis as a result, that is easier to prevent on tarmac. At higher speeds too I would say there is less risk of slipping out on hard leans on tarmac.

But you know - what works for one person doesn't for the next man, so try both, and see what suits you more / where you feel more comfortable !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Mono said:

Yes, really! I can tell you how it helps: in order to balance left-right, the rider needs to steer the wheel constantly (back) under their CoG. To accomplish this at low speed (who wants to learn at high speed after all) it helps a lot if one can twist the wheel on the ground easily.

OK, I can see the logic in that.  But apart from the surface the tyre and tyre pressure would also make a difference to how easily the wheel can be twisted.  Rider weight and the strength of the rider's core muscles would also be factors.  So yeah, definitely some riders will find it easier to steer and balance on lower grip surfaces, but others may not find that to be the case.

@Grandpa_Jay

Perhaps someone on the board could walk you through posting a video of your riding. I wonder if you might be going a bit too slow. Compare the two videos I sent you. The first one is too slow, and the second is a speed that the wheel stabilizes.

It sounds like you are making progress. Three foot rides lead into twenty foot rides, and so on. The cummulative experience adds up, and you will learn the balancing aspect very quickly. In other words, each time you get some distance, subsequent rides will increase in length. The longer you can stay on the wheel traveling forward, the quicker your body will learn the balance, e.g. what stabilized and balanced feels like, and what inputs (feet) do what.

I really think you are on the cusp of a break through. Don't overdue it. You need to feel well to exert the energy learning. Afterwards, you'll look back and wonder why it was so exhausting when riding is so effortless.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your success...

Edit to add: Ref. stepping up onto the wheel. When you're messing around in the house, go into a hallway and use one or both walls to assist you. Get into that prep position I described. Now use the walls for support/balance, and begin to weight the foot on the pedal. Let the case tilt and press against the inside of your calf. Continue adding more weight, and increase your opposition to the wheel tipping by "cranking it back vertical" with the top of your leg. At the right point, you will have most of your weight on the pedal and stable. Prep yourself, and just add a little "hop" to get your other foot on the pedal. Be prepared for wheel movement in case you are a little heavy heal or toe. I think that may help you outdoors when you get ready to do a standing start. If you are ok at this, then remember with a standing start, you will want to get the wheel rolling forward with a bit of toe pressure, timed to coincide with your push off and step up. The wheel movement can be a forward, backwards, forwards prep, similar to a "one, two, three, Go!"

Edited by h00ktern
To add
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, h00ktern said:

I wonder if you might be going a bit too slow.

The reference to your stability augmenters makes me wonder the same thing. Balancing a bicycle at slow speed is very difficult compared to balancing at a brisk walking pace... same principle applies to EUC!

It's really too bad you don't have someone to walk/jog with you so you can put your hand on their shoulder or share a broomstick. I think you're at the tipping point, and it's about to click... as soon as you get your speed up just a bit.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Paul A said:

Would a rider, on an EUC, atop a treadmill/dyno roller....simulate riding?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzDTINKjyxXXq85EOJydp

I don’t think so. Below a certain speed, the unicycle can’t depend on the gyroscopic effect of the wheel and must turn into the direction of the fall. On a roller, it won’t be able to do that.

19 minutes ago, 360rumors said:

Below a certain speed, the unicycle can’t depend on the gyroscopic effect of the wheel and must turn into the direction of the fall. On a roller, it won’t be able to do that.

Why not? Like for example here

Edited by Mono

17 hours ago, Mono said:

That's strange :D

You don't find grippy surfaces to be counterproductive for learning?

Or you don't find paved surfaces to be usually more grippy than unpaved surfaces?

Or both?

I don't find grippy surfaces to be counterproductive for learning.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2022 at 12:43 AM, Tawpie said:

I haven't tried this, but perhaps letting most or all of the air out of both chambers and then locking it out might lower the pedals...

I was thinking the same thing. My s18 arrives tomorrow, and that was what I was thinking. However, I don't want to give the suspension too hard a time while I learn. 

• Like 1

@Grandpa_Jayif you feel kinda stuck you could also check out this topic:

23 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Yeah, there's pros and cons to that. If you learn hip twisting

I'd consider this to be rather a wheel twist than a hip twist, as the hip doesn't need to be twisting. Even funnier, a hip rotation could go either way, in the same direction as the wheel twists or in the opposite. Any hip movement (including none) works and I don't know whether any is superior to the others, it probably depends.

on grippy surfaces you'll build up the right muscles faster, and be better prepared for riding on those surfaces.

It's usually wastly better to learn several easier tasks one after the other than one difficult task in one step. This suggests to pick the easiest possible surface first to learn on first. But hey, if you don't give up, you will end up learn riding regardless, that's a pretty consistent observation too.

Secondarily, if you can twist the wheel too easily, you risk it over twisting, and slipping out the side if your CoG goes too far off axis as a result, that is easier to prevent on tarmac.

I can't remember to have ever seen this "mistake" from a beginner who could not or just barely ride. If you have a video in mind or stumble over one showing this, I'd be delighted to have a look, even if it is an advanced rider.

But you know - what works for one person doesn't for the next man, so try both, and see what suits you more / where you feel more comfortable !

Some things are less individual than others though. I wouldn't have brought up surface stickiness as "a problem" if this would not be consistent with my observation of dozens of people I have taught in the last 5+ years, or if it wasn't consistent with my personal experience, or if I wouldn't understand the mechanism behind it :thumbup:

Working out what "works best for themselves" is very hard for someone who can barely ride. That's where teaching comes into play: the teacher has (or rather: should have) figured out what works best, for most people or even for everyone, say, due to physical laws, a long time ago and can pass this information to ease the process for newcomers.

7 hours ago, winterwheel said:

I don't find grippy surfaces to be counterproductive for learning.

It remains to be surprising :D Did you ever try a firm and level but unpaved surface for teaching your students?

Edited by Mono

I don't know where the factory is mounting the pedals these days, but the pedal height can be changed (3 positions). It's not a completely trivial task, and honestly I'd recommend leaving it where it is because the difference is very small. But if you're into tinkering!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mono said:

It remains to be surprising :D Did you ever try a firm and level but unpaved surface for teaching your students?

I am always working on improving the process, but I have no interest at all in changing that specific aspect, no.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2022 at 9:01 PM, Tawpie said:

The reference to your stability augmenters makes me wonder the same thing. Balancing a bicycle at slow speed is very difficult compared to balancing at a brisk walking pace... same principle applies to EUC!

It's really too bad you don't have someone to walk/jog with you so you can put your hand on their shoulder or share a broomstick. I think you're at the tipping point, and it's about to click... as soon as you get your speed up just a bit.

Hi All!  Yes - I completely agree I am going too slow.  At home, I don't have enough paved (asphalt) area before it turns to dirt. Inside, well, it is inside! The few times I have managed to get air time was where there was some room. I am without a doubt more stable this week than last. With the walker, I am pretty stable regardless of the terrain, but I have not spent much time using the walker this week. Maybe I will use the walker some more one day - it does not require near as much effort!  I also get very nervous if ANYONE else is around. If a car drives by, I wait. If a person, I wait. If I don't, you can pretty much be assured I will just be waisting my energy with no air time LOL. 

Oh yes, videos - I have attempted to take a few videos. I did not use a tripod, or anything and mostly the video's were a fail, showing only a shaky fence or my butt etc. Outside, somehow the phone decided instead of video it would take random still shots! It got some great shots, but not useful.  Inside the house, I was able to get a few videos, but those are all with the walker, so what does that really show :( I'm still working on it and haven't given up yet.  I'm not a real fan of the hot ski boots! so I have some different shoes ordered and hope to give the tennis court another try tomorrow.

A NEW QUESTION -  How in the world do you wear all of the armor when it is hot!! I am already over heating in short sessions in DECEMBER! If I get to hot, I get sick and must shop whatever it is - I just cannot see being outside in the New Mexico sun with all of that armor on. ???  

Good Night All 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Grandpa_Jay said:

A NEW QUESTION -  How in the world do you wear all of the armor when it is hot!! I am already over heating in short sessions in DECEMBER! If I get to hot, I get sick and must shop whatever it is - I just cannot see being outside in the New Mexico sun with all of that armor on. ???   

My first day learning to ride, boy did I sweat!  Now I don't get overly hot riding.

In hot weather: I wear an Alpinestars mesh jacket, plenty of airflow.  I also wear a Fox Proframe helmet - full-face but with a very open design to let air through.

5 minutes ago, KiwiMark said:

My first day learning to ride, boy did I sweat! 

And according to your profile, you are riding an RS-19, with a V12, and a Sherman S on their way. Is that right?

Wow, you don't waste any time building your collection. 🙂

53 minutes ago, Grandpa_Jay said:

How in the world do you wear all of the armor when it is hot!!

Maybe try an ice vest, under the armour.

If required, carry additional zip lock bags.

This will allow for replacement of ice from a soda fountain at a store, etc.

Simply drain the melted water from the supplied packs and keep for next time.

Or just use zip lock bags instead of the supplied packs.

If required, insert/line the pockets with a thin, cut to size, foam sponge....to prevent direct contact with body, soak up condensation.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284703801563?hash=item4249ab40db:g:7F4AAOSwj29i~wE2&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4IjLLkuI0RnvabYBLllm1GyRpWsdgS6vazILWkUywxPStym9H8BhL6rpUxwyScRg88kKiwZMs3Qu4aF0Y27Fo6ry3xaR5Pi6qIkyo%2BmbbD0a4hRh7xdwT2NMOM0ocZocVFYw88pvwxphoeia8ou94yHB0ePGYcrIoDtqaEWqS38upPvxdFd7%2FSIJyh0IFPp2RfEX%2FCJO%2Bpr82kktlgOUYxuTIl%2FF5JH9YhH534lvG4oGwnw1eWi6rKohZICDjAdAFYsfF%2Bgmf%2FvcOpI57qSQIkmTZh364BOdlsksbFPMxXe7|tkp%3ABk9SR9jPl7idYQ

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Paul A