Pushing 60 and against my families wishes - I just ordered my first EUC!

Grandpa_Jay

11 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

Our teaching process

I have a small innocuous question for you, will you as a "teacher" be recommending the use of "gear" for Grandpa_Jay since it's safe to now assume he does not seem to fall into the "risk taker" category? I'm just curious and attempting to understand the logic with an open mind. Also do you have any video for your group ride? They seem very interesting, quite an eclectic group.

26 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

Our teaching process uses small wheels and canes to get people started. Starting out cold on an 18" suspension wheel would be a challenge for almost everyone. A small wheel is obviously not an option, but canes can be acquired relatively inexpensively and are often quite helpful 

I have canes - I used them the first day or three - the walker seemed easier?  Perhaps I shall try the canes again sometime.  ALSO, someone mentioned locking out the suspension while learning. What do those of you that know more than myself think about this?  It is easy to do with the S18.

39 minutes ago, Crab said:

Glad to hear you’re staying with it! I however was not so lucky today, the weather here in Seattle has been terrible with snow and ice and I got out of my forklift at work what about 10 feet then both feet came out from under me. I landed really hard on my right rear rib cage no head or elbows hit the ground and the ribs took the full impact. Fortunately, it doesn’t seem that I broke anything but I’m super sore and it’s not clear if I’ll be going back to work Monday. 

Sorry to hear that Crab!  Glad you weren't hurt worse than you are!  I moved away from snow and Ice!  I use to live in MO - I don't think I would have ever bought an EUC if I still lived in a state that had winter! especially LONG winters like MO!  Hope you feel better!

16 minutes ago, Grandpa_Jay said:

locking out the suspension while learning

Glad to hear you are healing up and great to hear you haven't given up. I think winterwheel was more worried about pedal height on a suspension wheel rather than "locking out" the suspension. also tire size making the pedals higher.The smaller wheels are closer to the ground therefore lowering your center of gravity and making easier to stabilize yourself. As many have said, one day it will just "click" for you like it did so many others. Keep at it and thanks for the update.

• Like 1

By any chance is there an industrial district near you. You might be able to find a large area to practice. I used one on the weekends to learn, and then to actually ride around from point A to point B. I rode around all the buildings, up ramps, down ramps, through parking lots and behind loading docks. The things I learned there set me up for riding anywhere.

I'm glad to hear you relaxed a few days. Going forward, pay attention to your body and stop for the day if you begin hurting again. Many short sessions where you feel good are better than longer sessions which you soldier through and endure pain.

You will get it. It's a great sense of accomplishment.

• Upvote 1

Maybe a church parking lot.

Or maybe start on a smaller wheel like a 16x. at the end of the day you will have more than one wheel, lets go back to the beginning and start on a wheel thats easer to learn on.

Sorry was that my loud voice!!

11 hours ago, Grandpa_Jay said:

I have canes - I used them the first day or three - the walker seemed easier?  Perhaps I shall try the canes again sometime.  ALSO, someone mentioned locking out the suspension while learning. What do those of you that know more than myself think about this?  It is easy to do with the S18.

The main issue with teaching on suspension wheels is that the pedals are higher than wheels without suspension. I haven't taught anyone from scratch on an S-18, but if I was going to do it and I had the option, I'd lock the suspension so that the pedals were at the lowest height possible.

We used to use a walker (modified to have four wheels) but it was too narrow -- people kept bumping into it -- and more importantly it teaches incorrect posture. In order to use it the student has to reach out in front of them to hang on, riding with a straight back wasn't really possible. Also didn't corner super well with those little wheels. It's been disassembled now in an effort to use bits of it for other possible tools. At some point I'd like to revisit the walker idea but with one made entirely from scratch to accommodate the wheel training application.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, winterwheel said:

The main issue with teaching on suspension wheels is that the pedals are higher than wheels without suspension. I haven't taught anyone from scratch on an S-18, but if I was going to do it and I had the option, I'd lock the suspension so that the pedals were at the lowest height possible.

We used to use a walker (modified to have four wheels) but it was too narrow -- people kept bumping into it -- and more importantly it teaches incorrect posture. In order to use it the student has to reach out in front of them to hang on, riding with a straight back wasn't really possible. Also didn't corner super well with those little wheels. It's been disassembled now in an effort to use bits of it for other possible tools. At some point I'd like to revisit the walker idea but with one made entirely from scratch to accommodate the wheel training application.

I have seen a broom stick used for learning seemingly successfully and I found trolleying a second wheel at my side makes balancing actually easier rather than, as I expected, harder. So I suspect that some sort of ski or walking poles may be a good learning tool too.

I like the shopping cart until they have the wheel under them, just to get passed the first wobbles, than I like to ride beside them and hold their hand, until they get that feeling of being on the wheel, than it’s time to push of a fence.

14 hours ago, winterwheel said:

Locking out the suspension does not change the height of the pedals in a good way, it just prevents them from moving up or down.  With suspension ON there is some give and thus lowering of the pedal on the weighted side. I think it might raise the other side a bit?  Having more than one wheel is NOT a possibility for me. I am counting my blessings at the moment that I have one, ONE opportunity...  but that's not what I was replying about here. 

I completely understand what you are saying about the 4 wheel walker - the S18 does fit between the wheels but ZERO room to maneuver so it made it almost impossible to have correct posture when leaning to reach the walker - and in my case not quite tall enough. [My canes are a tad short also.] Corner, LOL I think that is likely what started my feeling more secure going backwards than forwards. I used a standing walker in a hospital in Germany many years ago - sure wish I had one like that! I have been using the walker less and less - not at all today, not even inside! I am revisiting the canes and the strap ideas presented and I am seeing some short burst of air time! but I will save that for my update post after I finish reading everything. 

Thanks Again Everyone!   

Well, I found a Tennis Court in my county!! Not to far of a drive, but I sure hope I learn soon as I will be FAR less likely to keep at it if I always have to leave my house to do so!  Anyway... I take my better half with me and as we walk through the gate she points out there is a sign that says no bicycles, skateboards, scooter riding on the...  I figure 1) It did NOT say Unicycle. and 2) I do NOT consider what I am doing (at this point) as riding! so I proceeded.  I set my canes down by the bench and took off next to the fence - as soon as I got a few feet, I bailed and did NOT have a hold of my strap.  My S18 rolled end over end to the fence :(  When I got the S18 I bubble wrapped it. It is actually a solar cover for a swimming pool, but similar to bubble wrap, and Duct tape. It has actually held up really well! I have not taken it off, but it looks like it is keeping the S18 safe!  After that, I used my strap. I was able to consistently get air time when the fence was to my left and strap seems to work best for me tucked in my right leg.  When the fence was on my right, I did not travel as far.  I did not do much back and forth, or drills really as I had already practiced some at home (waiting for her) and I have NOT built up much stamina yet!  It has been a cloudy, overcast and finally rainy day here today.

My practice here at the house went better today also. As with yesterday, it was mostly frustrating as I just don't have enough paved space. I was able to get air time much more consistently, but as soon as I hit the driveway (dirt) I would usually bail. This evening, I did spend another 20 minutes or so on the wheel, inside - without my padded pants! I AM, without question, feeling more stable this week than I did last week. Tonight, I used two canes and was able to stay on the wheel, going back and forth from one room to another, OR just staying behind the couch and watching TV. I think for me, I need to rely on the strap for some time! I really would prefer not to destroy my S18, but I also know that I WILL hurt myself if I try to save the wheel instead of focusing on myself. With the strap, I have been able to save both myself and the wheel, most of the time. My tennis court run, I got the most air time with the strap and one cane.  With the cane, I can mount anywhere - without the cane or a place to mount, I am completely worn out within 20 to 30 minutes.   So, tonight inside - I enjoyed getting the feel of the wheel with both canes as assistance. After 20 minutes or so I made myself give up one cane for the strap as I want to be able to get to just the strap - but it sure makes it easier to catch the wheel when I dismount! I am not nearly as stable with the strap / cane as I am with 2 canes, but I am at least feeling like I can get there!

Maybe one day I will figure out how to post videos and pictures. Today, it was my wife and her camera. From the pictures she took - my posture is looking pretty good. Now if I can just stay up long enough to learn how to steer. We are supposed to have rain here for the next few days :( 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Grandpa_Jay said:

I sure hope I learn soon as I will be FAR less likely to keep at it if I always have to leave my house to do so! 

I suspect a few trips to the tennis court would be enough to make a HUGE difference to your confidence & competence on the wheel.  When I learnt to ride I did a day on grass, a couple of days on a tennis court, a few days riding around local schools (I liked the middle school's two netball courts that were outdoors/asphalt but with a roof to help prevent sunburn.  Once I got enough practise in and felt more confident on the wheel I moved on to more fun riding where I was exploring interesting bike tracks.  Now I have moved to the city where the wheel is being used more to make it easy to get around (supermarkets and other shops, laundromat, takeaway food, etc) as well as there being more cycle lanes & underpasses under busy roads.

When I watch the video I made of my first day and see how wobbly I was and how hard it was to ride without falling over, I really appreciate how much easier it seems now to ride.  I wish I was retired already so I would have time to travel around the country and use EUCs to explore all around wherever I find myself.

Just watch any of the youtube videos of experienced riders riding around cities, see how relaxed they look as they ride around.  Give it a bit of time and practice and you will find it is just like that for you too.  Riding an EUC is actually very easy, you just need to get yourself over that initial steep learning curve and then it becomes much easier, then with practice it gets easier and easier and more and more fun. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grandpa_Jay said:

Locking out the suspension does not change the height of the pedals in a good way

I haven't tried this, but perhaps letting most or all of the air out of both chambers and then locking it out might lower the pedals...

• Like 1

On 12/4/2022 at 5:31 AM, Grandpa_Jay said:

As with yesterday, it was mostly frustrating as I just don't have enough paved space.

Just FTR. Most unpaved flat (EDIT: and hard) surfaces are even better for learning than most paved surfaces. The latter are usually far too grippy for the sake of learning to ride.

Edited by Mono

41 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

That hasn't been my experience.

That's strange :D

You don't find grippy surfaces to be counterproductive for learning?

Or you don't find paved surfaces to be usually more grippy than unpaved surfaces?

Or both?

9 hours ago, Mono said:

Just FTR. Most unpaved flat surfaces are even better for learning than most paved surfaces. The latter are usually far too grippy for the sake of learning to ride.

Really?  I'm not too sure how lower grip surfaces help the learning path.  When I was learning I never felt I needed the added challenge of a slippery surface.

9 minutes ago, KiwiMark said:

Really?  I'm not too sure how lower grip surfaces help the learning path.

Yes, really! I can tell you how it helps: in order to balance left-right, the rider needs to steer the wheel constantly (back) under their CoG. To accomplish this at low speed (who wants to learn at high speed after all) it helps a lot if one can twist the wheel on the ground easily.

Edited by Mono