Pushing 60 and against my families wishes - I just ordered my first EUC!

Grandpa_Jay

The number of crash youtube videos is skewed by the fact that a high percentage of risk takers carry cameras, while most casual riders/commuters etc. do not. 

A study conducted by the Consumer Affairs Agency based in part on these statistics estimates that around 19,000 people lose their lives every year in accidents while bathing.

I prefer showers to baths, so please don't tell me I'm not safety consicious. :)

(also, it occurs to me I've never seen a youtube video of one of these tragedies)

Edited by winterwheel
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

A study conducted by the Consumer Affairs Agency based in part on these statistics estimates that around 19,000 people lose their lives every year in accidents while bathing.

https://www.nippon.com/en/japan-data/h00623/sudden-deaths-while-bathing-heat-shock-among-factors-estimated-to-cause-19-000-annual-fata.html

Jan 16, 2020

Sudden Deaths While Bathing: “Heat Shock” Among Factors Estimated to Cause 19,000 Annual Fatalities in Japan

Thousands of Japanese people die in their own bathrooms every year, with seniors particularly at risk.

A study conducted by the Consumer Affairs Agency based in part on these statistics estimates that around 19,000 people lose their lives every year in accidents while bathing.

Against the backdrop of Japan’s rapidly aging population, over 90% of the drowning cases involve those 65 or older, and the proportion of deaths among those 75 or older has shown a particular increase.

There is a trend toward more drowning deaths in winter.

The cause of death in most cases is thought to be “heat shock,” where a sudden change in temperature experienced when getting in or out of a bath rapidly changes a person’s blood pressure, leading to a heart attack or other medical issue.

Might not be comparable to risks of EUCs though.

I had a high speed wobble that dang near caused me to crash over 20mph, fortunately I remembered to shift my weight around momentarily enough to stop the rhythm. About the closest I’ve come, I did however try and jump up a curb… landed on my face lol.

• Like 1

Not really a risk taker, but I feel it would be a good thing to know and be able to do “just in case”. I always wear my gear when riding, got a broken wrist and leg 14 years ago and don’t want a repeat! Even got an Apple Watch for a crash or fall, it did set it off on the curb fail!

Edited by Crab

44 minutes ago, Crab said:

Not really a risk taker, but I feel it would be a good thing to know and be able to do “just in case”.

What a non-risk-taker would’ve probably done is to start small. Find a shallow curb to practice with, and go up in size incrementally once you’re confident with the small one. That’s how I practiced riding up curbs, and I never fell.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Crab said:

Not really a risk taker

Sorry i was trying to be funny and sarcastic. I know you had said you were 64 and fairly new to EUC and didn't want to exceed 25mph so i thought it would be funny to refer to you as a "risk taker"...:efeebb3acc: I am glad to hear you are ok though after the fall and agree that learning how to hop over things is an important skill to learn. I have done it a lot on trails with trees laying across the path. It's very much a combination of timing and jumping upward.

4 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

What a non-risk-taker would’ve probably done is to start small. Find a shallow curb to practice with, and go up in size incrementally once you’re confident with the small one. That’s how I practiced riding up curbs, and I never fell.

True but I had been doing 3” or so speed bumps and such with no issues, figured a 6” curb would be no problem. Most likely I just misjudged it or was going a bit too slow, probably try again at some point.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

What a non-risk-taker would’ve probably done is to start small. Find a shallow curb to practice with, and go up in size incrementally once you’re confident with the small one.

The size of the curb was not mentioned. EDIT: until now :p

Edited by Punxatawneyjoe
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Sorry i was trying to be funny and sarcastic. I know you had said you were 64 and fairly new to EUC and didn't want to exceed 25mph so i thought it would be funny to refer to you as a "risk taker"...:efeebb3acc: I am glad to hear you are ok though after the fall and agree that learning how to hop over things is an important skill to learn. I have done it a lot on trails with trees laying across the path. It's very much a combination of timing and jumping upward.

No worries, I have always been an adrenaline junky tho, barrel rolling my stand up jetski in the ocean. The EUC thing seems really tame by comparison to me, but I do understand the risks.

Edited by Crab
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

What a non-risk-taker would’ve probably done is to start small. Find a shallow curb to practice with, and go up in size incrementally once you’re confident with the small one.

The non risk taker I'm talking about has no interest whatsoever in jumping up 6" curbs. :)

Edited by winterwheel
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

I know you had said you were 64 and fairly new to EUC and didn't want to exceed 25mph so i thought it would be funny to refer to you as a "risk taker"...:efeebb3acc:

At our age, standing up starts to become a potentially risky maneuver, much less actually walking.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

no doubt, kinda tanked my theme with the barrel roll jet ski vid. lol

Now not me in the video, Taylor Curtis is one of the very best in the sport but you get the idea…I find EUC riding very relaxing after working all day.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Crab said:

Now not me in the video,

Figured as much since it was a recent video and he didn't look in his 60's. Great video though, amazing rolls and flips. I wrongfully assumed you were not a risk taker and had to eat my lunch when you spoke about your barrel rolling on your stand up jet ski. It's all good though i just never ever imagined people in the EUC community would be advocating for not wearing gear especially on a tread labeled "Pushing 60 and against my families wishes - I just ordered my first EUC!" It's a sign of the times though an i look like the fool i guess. I can only hope Grandpa_Jay gives us an update soon and he is still happy with his decision to buy an EUC.

Edited by Punxatawneyjoe
missed an r
  • Like 1

Our oldest regular rider is 77. He handles intermediate single track on his T3 like a champ. The only difference between his riding and the rest of us on group rides is he tends to lag a bit as doesn't like riding much past 30kmh. As far as I can tell he spends 4-5 hours a day or more on his wheel in the summer months. He's trying to do the winter riding thing but his home-made studding solution popped his tire after about two hours of riding.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

Our oldest regular rider is 77. He handles intermediate single track on his T3 like a champ. The only difference between his riding and the rest of us on group rides is he tends to lag a bit as doesn't like riding much past 30kmh. As far as I can tell he spends 4-5 hours a day or more on his wheel in the summer months. He's trying to do the winter riding thing but his home-made studding solution popped his tire after about two hours of riding.

Sheet metal screws in the knobs?

On 11/29/2022 at 5:12 PM, Tawpie said:

But. Having a quality teacher would have been very nice indeed... 

Amen to that!  I do not know anyone that could teach me locally.  I have little doubt that would help a lot! 

My bruises on my right leg are finally healing enough I tried again for a few minutes today.  I have to go find a better place to learn.  It would help if it wasn't quite so cold in the mornings and dark so early. 

I added a strap to my S18 and am giving that a try.  I made it a few more feet, and a bit more consistent but I am reading everything here and watching the videos. THANKS to ALL I took a couple of days away from the wheel to let my leg heal a bit.  I was really hoping I could learn here at home, but what has been said here makes since and I can already see it is easier on the asphalt section - unfortunately, that's only about 20 feet before sand/dirt and only about 10 feet wide.  I think I may try behind WalMart some day soon... According to Alexa, there are no tennis courts in the county in which I live :( 

Edited by Grandpa_Jay
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Grandpa_Jay said:

Amen to that!  I do not know anyone that could teach me locally.  I have little doubt that would help a lot! 

My bruises on my right leg are finally healing enough I tried again for a few minutes today.  I have to go find a better place to learn.  It would help if it wasn't quite so cold in the mornings and dark so early. 

I added a strap to my S18 and am giving that a try.  I made it a few more feet, and a bit more consistent but I am reading everything here and watching the videos. THANKS to ALL I took a couple of days away from the wheel to let my leg heal a bit.  I was really hoping I could learn here at home, but what has been said here makes since and I can already see it is easier on the asphalt section - unfortunately, that's only about 20 feet before sand/dirt and only about 10 feet wide.  I think I may try behind WalMart some day soon... According to Alexa, there are no tennis courts in the county in which I live :( 

Glad to hear you’re staying with it! I however was not so lucky today, the weather here in Seattle has been terrible with snow and ice and I got out of my forklift at work what about 10 feet then both feet came out from under me. I landed really hard on my right rear rib cage no head or elbows hit the ground and the ribs took the full impact. Fortunately, it doesn’t seem that I broke anything but I’m super sore and it’s not clear if I’ll be going back to work Monday. 

Our teaching process uses small wheels and canes to get people started. Starting out cold on an 18" suspension wheel would be a challenge for almost everyone. A small wheel is obviously not an option, but canes can be acquired relatively inexpensively and are often quite helpful