Pushing 60 and against my families wishes - I just ordered my first EUC!

Grandpa_Jay

12 minutes ago, Grandpa_Jay said:

I got my armor and my boots today!! I so wish I had all of this before I started - maybe I wouldn't be so bruised and sore??  I have very scrawny legs - skin over bone. Tends to bruise easily.  I think a couple of days healing might be in order. 

Yes - take it easy. Let it heal and don't force it.

Then every day some 15 min sessions are enough that the body gets accostumed and the brain/muscle memory learns how to manage the wheel. Sometimes overnight you'll get it and riding will be fun!

For inbetween you could watch these sessions - i enjoy watching him every time and he gives many usefull tipps:

• Like 1

I feel like I’m learning all over again, but did manage about 4 miles sitting today soooo different than standing. I’m not doing the transition from sitting to standing and vice versa, and the weather sucks!

• Like 1

I have a wheeled walker that I use in the house and in the asphalt part of the driveway.  Neither my walker nor a shopping cart would do me much good in most of my available area - except perhaps the street.  I am not going to allow myself in the street yet.  I have attempted the walker in the yard a couple of times - I didn't take it outside today. I will continue fumbling along with the walker, and my canes, or walking sticks and the training rail, and side of the house - until I either take off or give up!  The learning is just painfully slow. Before this, I would have said I was a fast learner. :( 

Try to learn on pavement... soft and bumpy surfaces add to the challenge, and not in a good way! Parking lot? Tennis courts are good too, and they come with a fence to hold onto (carefully, you don't want to yank out a finger!)

• Upvote 2

Maybe try holding onto the rail, stand fully upright on the pedals, and not even moving.

This will give the experience of what it feels like, of when you are actually in motion.

Stand fully erect, straight back, head up, look at the horizon, no slouching.

I learned in 2013 before there were many resources on learning to ride. It took me many weeks of mini practice sessions. My poor wheel took so many tumbles down the street. But eventually it just clicked. I now consider myself to be a good rider. Just keep at it and be patient with yourself. It will come. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, OldFartRides said:

I guess I went about it completely wrong. I pushed the shopping cart around the lonely end of Wally World for the first five or six sessions. Then I used hand rails on a walking path AND a belt in hand to keep my s18 from getting away from me. Didn’t give up the belt ‘till three months in. It’s a wonder I ever got it at all. Twenty months and 2,000+ miles later, I’m finally getting backwards riding and the pendulum thing down. Balance improves riding these things.

Best,

I tried the belt thing with a Mten3, what a clown show I was, lol.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, OldFartRides said:

Welcome to the forum Carey ! And the wild world of EUC’s. 

In case you want to edit your post, the three little dots in the upper right corner of your post allow for that.

Best,

Auto-spell correction can be a hoot at times.