Pushing 60 and against my families wishes - I just ordered my first EUC!

Grandpa_Jay

If it were possible, make a mark on the EUC shell of where the axle is.

Could use a tape measure to measure where the horizontal half way mark is on the shell.

This would be the pivot point of the wheel.

Position and stand fully erect on the pedals, such that the ankles/calves/knees/legs are along the vertical line of the pivot point.

Ankles would be below the pivot point, toes likely protruding over front of pedals.

Slight movement of the body forwards, will move the EUC forwards.......vice versa.

24 minutes ago, Jkay said:

New to the forum, just got my new V12HT, and I am well into my 69th year a 230 lb 6’3” old guy. Well older anyway.  I have been having a lot of fun on my EUC,  still way early in the learning curve.  My biggest problem has been (well currently) is the period right after an unassisted launch I am unstable from second foot up to 4-5 mph.  Not at my most graceful.  If I am going to stumble it is during this time.  After I get aboard I can slow to this speed no problem.  Anyway, just another chance to excel! Lots of fun, once the pains stopped! 

Pain will stop I promise, worst thing I did was bruise my shin real bad getting off tho.

24 minutes ago, Jkay said:

New to the forum, just got my new V12HT, and I am well into my 69th year a 230 lb 6’3” old guy. Well older anyway.  I have been having a lot of fun on my EUC,  still way early in the learning curve.  My biggest problem has been (well currently) is the period right after an unassisted launch I am unstable from second foot up to 4-5 mph.  Not at my most graceful.  If I am going to stumble it is during this time.  After I get aboard I can slow to this speed no problem.  Anyway, just another chance to excel! Lots of fun, once the pains stopped! 

Welcome to the forums jkay, glad to hear you are enjoying EUC. I am fairly new to EUC as well(about 6 months)and have been enjoying every minute. I would have to say that at super slow speeds the euc is hardest to keep balanced so it makes sense that you are unstable then. This gets easier with practice and being able to relax but more i would say but instability at low speed is a thing for most riders i would assume. Don't give up and make sure you gear up and have fun, the more confidence you build the easier it will be.

Thanks much!  I have got going 10 mph or so ok, not graceful but…. so my next challenge is riding around in the driveway at slow speeds.  It looks like a great deal of fun just tooling around in a small area.  I am a old high time/mileage motorcycle rider so I have all the hi-tech Kevlar motorcycle gear although at my current speeds, just knee, elbow, wrist guards with a motocross helmet is my protection.  Us old guys don’t like pain, and we heal slowly! 

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

• Upvote 2

Looking good @Crab Tracking says most of my gear will be arriving tomorrow!@!@ <-- {That was an E-Happy Dance}

I'm going to try to get a picture of the shoes and update this...

The Shoes...
Fly Milepost Waterproof Breathable Sport Touring Motorcycle Street Boot  

The Milepost Boot is Loaded with Comfort and Protection - at an Affordable Price!
  • Premium Features Include:
    • Waterproof Membrane
    • Breathable AirweaveTM Interior
    • Comfortable Leather Construction
    • Removable/Replaceable Comfort Insoles
    • Zip and Velcro Closure System
    • E-Z Walk Soles
  • Protection Features Include:
    • Built-in Ankle, Shin and Toe Protection
    • Shifter Wear Protection 
    • Reflective Safety Striping on the Rear. 
The result is a Waterproof and Breathable Sport-Touring Boot for all Riding Conditions.
Note- These boots do not have submersible waterproofing capabilities.
Note- This is a non-current model boot.
image.jpeg.d832937baaffd71c5b970144903d9b76.jpeg
Edited by Grandpa_Jay
  • Like 3

30psi should be fine, I’m 185 and been riding my 16x with 25psi but I don’t have the benefit of suspension. Also it puts more tire in contact with the pavement reducing the wobbles. It’s better at 28 for turning, but above that it gets bouncy and wobbly at times. 1psi can really make a difference in ride quality, once you get the hang of it I would experiment a bit. Too low and you could damage the rim tho, or get a flat.

I usually do not charge until the wheel is below 40% but it depends on what I plan on doing. For example, if the wheel was at 40% and I knew that all I would be doing is noodling around my neighborhood I would not charge it in advance, I would allow it to go lower on the charge. When I do charge it I allow it a few hours extra if there is time to do so which there usually is.

As for tire pressure, this may help. https://www.ewheels.com/guide-tires-appropriate-pressures-electric-unicycle/

PS: In time you will likely become sensitive to tire pressure and you will figure out what you like and don't like. You definitely want enough air to protect the wheel (rim) from impact damage (something that you are unlikely to have an issue with while learning as it takes aggressive behavior to threaten damaging impacts).

Edited by Roadpower
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Grandpa_Jay said:

At what point should I charge the wheel?  I got it Friday, late at 28%. I charged it that night and I believe it is at around 81% now.  Is there a certain percentage that I should be charging it at?

I usually charge when it gets below 50%, you don't want to run the battery down too low as there's increased risk of battery damage AND you lose power headroom. And I rarely charge if it's above 50% unless I'm planning a long ride the next day. When you do charge, you should always charge to green LED then leave it on the charger for 1-2 hours. All owners should watch this video and heed its wisdom: 

7 hours ago, Grandpa_Jay said:

AIR PRESSURE?

I'd say you're good at 30 psi for learning... lower tire pressure makes it much easier to learn but as you get better and there's the possibility of dropping off curbs or hitting a pothole you'll want to air up a bit. To find the "right" pressure, I tend to start high, for you say, 40 psi. You'll notice it's very squirrly and difficult to control, like riding on a knife edge. Let a little air out, ride test, rinse and repeat. When it starts to feel right, remeasure the pressure and use that in the future. Pressure is very subjective with the only caveat being you don't want too low pressure or you risk damaging your rim when you hit a pothole or drop, at your weight I wouldn't be below 25 psi as a rough number. Recheck the pressure when it doesn't feel right or whenever you feel like going through the hassle.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Grandpa_Jay said:

At what point should I charge the wheel?  I got it Friday, late at 28%. I charged it that night and I believe it is at around 81% now.  Is there a certain percentage that I should be charging it at?  

As the S18 does not have the huge capacity battery it's recommandable to charge it full before each and every ride!

Battery voltage (~charge %) is active safety - it's directly proportional to maximum speed and overlean limit. Between 63V to 84V is factor of 4/3!

Additinally to overcome burdens (acceleration, air drag, incline) a certain motor current is needed. As battery voltage is "transformed" downto motor voltage battery current increases with decreasing battery voltage!

Of course for learning and easy low(er) speed rights this does not really matter.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for all that @mrelwood I haven't figured out how to use the quoting feature correctly.  

I got my armor and my boots today!! I so wish I had all of this before I started - maybe I wouldn't be so bruised and sore??  I have very scrawny legs - skin over bone. Tends to bruise easily.  I think a couple of days healing might be in order.  I continue to force myself out there each day, but it hurts so much I cannot say that I am enjoying it at this point.  I can still only make it a few feet (10 to 20) BUT, not consistently.   I am hoping that the armor will give me more confidence? 

Posting a video of me trying to ride this thing - now there's a thought.  I did take a couple on day one and day three but I couldn't even do the circle drills at that point!  I can now do the circle drills - not for too long as they make me dizzy, but the firs few days I didn't have the strength. I'm pretty sure my right leg is dominant - it is also the one that is so bruised.  I will start paying attention to, and attempting to correct holding on to the wheel for my life - with my feet / ankles. 

I use Google for my photo and video storage.  I have tried creating a link to share photos and none have worked.  My training rail down the driveway has not been very helpful as my wheel is making it like sand. Trying not to get discouraged.  Wish I had ordered the gear sooner. I have been using Ice on my bruises and trying to push through - No pain, No gain - but...  :(  According to World App I have ridden almost 9 miles!  I think it said it unlocked a faster speed!  I think my fastest speed has been 3mph!

• Like 3