Pushing 60 and against my families wishes - I just ordered my first EUC!

Grandpa_Jay

On 11/18/2022 at 7:55 AM, Big Bad Ron said:

I still say do not put spikes on until you can ride well, or you will be taking them back off after your first wipe out .

100% agree.  I have grip tape (like 50 grit sandpaper) and that is plenty sticky.

Pushing 60 seems a bit old for this hobby, you should leave it to the young 55-year-olds like me! :) :P :D

I definitely agree with getting some protection, especially for knees & wrists and definitely for the head.  Riding is easy enough, but there is quite a steep learning curve in the beginning - don't be afraid to take a break and try again the next day after a good sleep, you want to let your brain reprogram itself to the new techniques you are learning.

I did no more than a hour a day for the first few days.  I was determined to learn and really it was the first couple of days that were the toughest, things got easier as I got the hang of it.  My first step was standing on the wheel holding a fence and just rolling back & forth, getting used to leaning forward and backward to get the wheel to move - this is strange because it is different to any other ridable that you would have tried before.  On my Mantis Pro scooter my first ride was up & down the street, then I fiddled with the settings to get everything to max and then I tested out the top speed, not really much to learn - riding a EUC is just not like that in any way.  I was used to motorcycles and bicycles, a scooter isn't so different - but a EUC very much is so different.  I got bored of the scooter quickly, now I just use it as a quick transport option.  I still find the EUC fun and am putting an effort in to get out on it more and gain more confidence & competence before the two new ones that I ordered arrive.

Learning to ride a EUC takes some doing, but it is more rewarding because of that.  Once you get comfortable enough to be able to mount and ride and enjoy yourself, you start realising just how capable these compact single-wheeled vehicles are as transport.  I hope it all goes well for you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gazza-usa said:

Motorcycle jackets are good if you have them but I wouldn’t immediate buy his kind of gear until you know what terrain you’ll be riding on and the weather conditions.

On 11/17/2022 at 1:03 PM, Grandpa_Jay said:

It is too cold for my wife to make me sleep in the dog house

New-Mexico-weather.png

Full grain leather, two piece, made to measure, motorcycle suit is very comfortable. 

All over coverage, with CE level 2 pads at shoulders, elbows, knees.

Other piecemeal gear may rely on velcro straps, elastic sleeves, that may not hold the gear in place upon impact forces.  Off the shelf, not a customized fit.

New Mexico, seems to be very cold, from the weather chart and OP's description.

Injuries to older persons can be more damaging, longer lasting.

• Like 1

I appreciate all the replies. I am reading them, watching the videos and doing my best to take it all in and ride this thing.  Today was day two... 

Day zero, my S18 arrived about an hour before dark with a charge of about 28%.  I put it on the charger, bubble wrapped the wheel, read the pamphlet on the S18 and manual on the shock. LOL

Day 1 - Started around 0830 back and forth - inside the house, pushing a walker with my wheel.  Slow, and certainly not steady at first... until the furnace kicked on and I would get to hot. SO I would break when the furnace was on, and practice when it was off. ALL DAY, off and on.  I also put some Kevlar, Flat Out (Slime type stuff) in the tire for when I do go outside - Hopefully the goat heads won't cause a flat before I can even ride!  By 2100, one thing was evident - I am more stable going BACKWARDS!

Day 2 - Started around 0900 back and forth, in the house, pushing a wheeled walker. Right leg is bruised - I think my left leg may be my dominate leg.  Put my leather jacket, knee, elbow, and wrist guards on and went outside, in the yard with the walker for a bit. I am more stable today, but no where close to ready to give up my training wheels. Tried a few short hops without the walker outside.  Fell a couple of times without injury!! BUT THEN... I came back inside and was doing my back and forth - still have no clue what happened but the wheel went out from under me and I landed pretty hard on my back with the walker on top of me in the kitchen - I was fine, but my wife almost had a heart attach and made me take a break - I think she meant for the day, but I was fine - I am certainly feeling it now, but I am fine!  BUT, it motivated me to build an assistance bar along side of the drive way - Well, I didn't quite get it finished because the ground is frozen - but I got about 25 feet done.  So - at the end of day 2, I am usually more stable than yesterday & two things are evident - I am absolutely more stable going BACKWARDS! and I CAN still take a couple of pretty hard falls and me OK!!  

I tried to post a picture of my assistance bar and bubble wrapping but I guess I don't know how.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Grandpa_Jay said:

I tried to post a picture of my assistance bar and bubble wrapping but I guess I don't know how.

You can copy and paste pictures directly into threads but this will quickly use up your small allowance here, especially if you don't reduce resolution first, but you can do that, drag images to new posts, or load a picture using 'choose files' in any new post. Or you can upload to any image hosting site, and just link it here instead, which is preferable in the longer term.

Sounds like you are making progress, though you should probably think a bit about what sort of inputs to the wheel caused your kitchen slip-out so you can avoid a repeat of that sort of thing. If it slipped out forwards it was probably too much pressure in toes as you leaned backwards. It is generally good advice to 'start' or 'root' your inputs with your feet, so that there is never discrepancy between where foot weight is, and how you are leaning.

Edited by Cerbera

3 hours ago, Grandpa_Jay said:

still have no clue what happened but the wheel went out from under me and I landed pretty hard on my back

Glad to hear you are getting better at it so quickly, the only thing i can think of here aside from the tire slipping on a smooth floor surface is you may have overpowered the wheel if you put to much pressure on it. My v-11 cut out on me one time when i was standing next to a tree rocking back and forth on a hill. I overpowered it by rocking it backward up the hill and my weight and the grade of the hill overpowered it and bms shut it down. Good to hear you are ok though.

On 11/18/2022 at 10:02 AM, evans036 said:

@NewB i live in raleigh too and have been riding for a little over a year. i ride a v12 and have a sherman s on order. we have a local euc group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/6357266667647101 . i look forward to riding with you. btw, i am 65yo.

steve

I submitted a request for admission into the FB group and am chomping at the bit waiting for my EUC to arrive. I saw my second EUC while at the ill-fated parade this past weekend, and it made me even more pumped. The OneWheel group rode past - the dude in the Grinch costume was a hit! I look forward to meeting and riding with you in the (hopefully) not so distant future!

7 hours ago, Cerbera said:

You can copy and paste pictures directly into threads but this will quickly use up your small allowance here, especially if you don't reduce resolution first, but you can do that, drag images to new posts, or load a picture using 'choose files' in any new post. Or you can upload to any image hosting site, and just link it here instead, which is preferable in the longer term.

Sounds like you are making progress, though you should probably think a bit about what sort of inputs to the wheel caused your kitchen slip-out so you can avoid a repeat of that sort of thing. If it slipped out forwards it was probably too much pressure in toes as you leaned backwards. It is generally good advice to 'start' or 'root' your inputs with your feet, so that there is never discrepancy between where foot weight is, and how you are leaning.

THX - I will try again sometime.  I did try to add a Google Pix link in my post - it didn't work...   

4 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Glad to hear you are getting better at it so quickly, the only thing i can think of here aside from the tire slipping on a smooth floor surface is you may have overpowered the wheel if you put to much pressure on it. My v-11 cut out on me one time when i was standing next to a tree rocking back and forth on a hill. I overpowered it by rocking it backward up the hill and my weight and the grade of the hill overpowered it and bms shut it down. Good to hear you are ok though.

I am pretty sure it was the slick kitchen floor that I had been riding back and forth, with the walker for hours.  Dust, water spot, not sure - I was crawling along, rubber side (and feet) down and in an instant I was on my back feet up! (Giving your statement more thought...)  I was at the end where I start braking to go backwards - perhaps I DID brake to hard on the slick floor!   Still waiting for my armor before I get too brave!

Edited by Grandpa_Jay
  • Like 1

On 11/16/2022 at 9:42 PM, Daley1 said:

First things first!. Get ur safety gear so when u do fall(and u will fall many times) nothing gets busted up too bad! The family will see that safety is utmost in your mind !Lots of good ideas on the forum and dont skimp on the cheap crap.Buy decent stuff and when u kiss the dirt for the first time ,u can put it down to young love and move on! 

I started riding at 56, did not fall at all when learning, ride daily, wear no gear whatsoever.

2 hours ago, OldFartRides said:

If it’s easier going backwards, you may be standing too far back on the pedals.

Keep the rubber side down!

That is what I thought too?  I have been trying moving my feet a bit forward - reading here - watching videos... I don't get it!  Everything I read says backwards is much harder to learn BUT I feel much, Much, MUCH more in control going backwards!  Day 3 - here I come!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Grandpa_Jay said:

I have been trying moving my feet a bit forward - reading here - watching videos... I don't get it!

Maybe try positioning the ankles over the center of the pedals.  The toes may protrude over the front of the pedal, but that is ok.

Having the ankles in the center, it aligns the vertical line of the body, with the wheel's horizontal center.

Then, any subtle forward/back lean of the body, will move the wheel forward/back.

1063259-title_thor.jpg

Edited by Paul A
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, The Brahan Seer said:

I found this vlog very helpful.

Remember as you learn to look where you want to go, try not to look down although this is the temptation (To begin you might just to get your foot position)...

Good video, I myself have recommended this video to people because it avoids most of all the common mistakes. Mike does a great job here in teaching.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2022 at 6:03 PM, Grandpa_Jay said:

Hello All - 
New here - new to EUC's in general and feeling a bit overwhelmed - but still excited!  It seems the closer I get to 60 - the further I want to be from feeling and looking 60. It all started when I had to support my son having surgery at UCLA ( I live in New Mexico, USA) I started using the Bird scooters to go from the VA to UCLA and really enjoyed this more than a bus or Uber. When I got home, I started really looking and kept seeing EUC's - THAT's what I wanted to do - but, all of my family was pretty firm with their opinions that I have no business being on a Unicycle! I have had several major spine surgeries and am held together with titanium screws and cages from T2 down. SO, as a compromise, I bought a Vsett 8 two wheel scooter - in September.  The scooter is OK, sorta fun - BUT unfortunately, it has NOT scratched this itch!  I do not like the tiny little plastic wheels that could fall in a big crack in the road & it seems to cause my elbow to hurt every time I ride it (for those that do not know, you CAN NOT let go of the handlebars on a scooter).  ANYWAY - It is too cold for my wife to make me sleep in the dog house, but I think she may be trying to make my honey do list so long I won't have time to ride!  (just kidding) but she is very concerned!  

I guess we are about to find out!  I do not think I will have much trouble learning to ride.  I also ride a Segway S.  I have been watching videos and reading all I can. I know myself (and my limitations) I know that suspension is required for me. Without suspension it would cause pain and discomfort and I would be selling it by spring. So, that narrowed things down for me real quick. Kingsong S18 or Inmotion V11 or Begode T4 - after many days of searching, videos, etc. I found a good deal on a NEW KS S18 and am anxiously awaiting the tracking number to show that it is on its way.  

I wasn't sure where to post as I didn't really find an 'Intro' area, hope this is acceptable.  I do have a couple of questions for those with S18 experience.  What accessories will I need to start saving for?  I  am thinking those leather (or fake leather) pads look really sharp, but are the good? are they necessary?  What about the protective cover?  Finally, I have read a lot about people upgrading their pedals. I found a set of 'slim' pedals for a great price at FreeMotion,  what are your thoughts on these pedals for it? 

TIA All & Stay Safe Out There

Hi Jay. Welcome! I had both s18 and v11 and to me, v11 was much more comfortable with or without pads. In particular the top edge of the s18 pressed hard against my legs and I found it quite painful. But I’ve heard some people say the reverse about the v11. It might have to do with the shape of your legs. 
congrats on getting an EUC. I think being in a hurry is what increases my chances of getting hurt. So if you feel like you are hurrying, be careful…

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

64 here and started October 1 of this year, now at 300 miles and doing gravel trail rides at over 20mph. Couple of the guys I ride with have been very helpful pushing my limits, however I have no desire to go faster than 25mph.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

who are 'us', what do you mean by 'most', and what actual evidence do you have for this beyond anecdotes

"us" being all of the people that ride EUC and "most" being a large percentage of. After watching a hundred or so videos and conversations i have had with others "most" 75% or so have had at least one incident resulting in a fall. If you would like videos as evidence of this happening, I'm sure i could find a few for you.

• Like 2

UPDATE - Day 3 - Mostly outside today!  I finished my assistance bar down the driveway, so I have somewhat of a training course in my driveway. Today, with the tip of having my toes hang off the pedals, I was able to do the circle exercises for the first time, successfully!  I was also able to ride unassisted for a few feet at a time - but not consistently. So, at the end of day 3, I am certainly more stable (and more sore) than yesterday and three things are evident - I continue to feel more stable going backwards! I am right leg dominant, and my legs are weak.  

Insert photo link not working! https://photos.app.goo.gl/xoKFZRsHx9XWGnaS8

I have appointments in town all day today... so I may not be able to train today?

Edited by Grandpa_Jay
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Grandpa_Jay said:

UPDATE - Day 3 - Mostly outside today!  I finished my assistance bar down the driveway, so I have somewhat of a training course in my driveway. Today, with the tip of having my toes hang off the pedals, I was able to do the circle exercises for the first time, successfully!  I was also able to ride unassisted for a few feet at a time - but not consistently. So, at the end of day 3, I am certainly more stable (and more sore) than yesterday and three things are evident - I continue to feel more stable going backwards! I am right leg dominant, and my legs are weak.  

Insert photo link not working! https://photos.app.goo.gl/xoKFZRsHx9XWGnaS8

I have appointments in town all day today... so I may not be able to train today?

I would have to say having your toes off the front might be ok, I had been riding too far back when I started. Get on holding the rail and just lean and go, you’ll find a bit of fwd speed makes it much easier to balance! I was up and riding in about an hour myself, but my standup jetski riding may have made a difference.