Pushing 60 and against my families wishes - I just ordered my first EUC!

Grandpa_Jay

5 minutes ago, Crab said:

I find the beeps hard to hear, my tilt set at 24mph keeps me in check so I don’t get anywhere near the top speed and loose safety overhead.

I think I will probably start with something close to that - at least for now.  If the beeping info from @Crab or HEC above is what happened then it was just the first alarm which was at 6.?mph - I really don't think I was near 12mph, but it's possible. Either way - it was the fastest I had gone :) if only to be cut short (by a few feet) by the beeps. I will try again this afternoon.

4 minutes ago, The Brahan Seer said:

I use the kingsong app. To set the alarms log on to the app and into your wheel via bluetooth. Press the speed setting button, accept the details about safety etc, you will be at a page that gives you your different levels. As previously stated in this thread this will show the first, second, third and pedal tiltback. I have mine set up as 15mph,20mph,25mph and tiltback at 27Mph. Its important to have a few miles per hour difference between the levels so you can hear the difference between them all. This enables you to hear how fast you are going without needing to look at anything. Going over 28Mph is considered risky on the S18 hence why I have the tiltback at 27. Also going at these kind of speeds makes it very hard to hear the beeps due to wind noise. Although the tiltback is set at 27Mph the software will dynamically adjust this to stop you over powering your wheel at lower speeds due to battery level, and power draw (inclines/headwinds). Other folk may use other apps or apps on phones/watches to see their speed etc.

Thank you for that!  Made me think of another question.  I have been looking at both the KS App and EUC World.

Is it OK to use both Apps? Bad idea? I thought the KS App would not give me MPH so I downloaded both apps while waiting for my S18 to arrive.  I have just been afraid to change much until I learned how to at least stay on the wheel LOL.  I think I am ready to start using an app.  I assume I need to choose one? Everything I read so far sounded like EUC World was a better App than the KS App?  Opinions?

1 hour ago, Crab said:

I get a loud “Please Decelerate “ over the speakers.

Wait - my S18 talks???  I think maybe I have dropped her on her head one too many times - I have never heard her say a word :) 

Edited by Grandpa_Jay

14 minutes ago, Grandpa_Jay said:

I assume I need to choose one? Everything I read so far sounded like EUC World was a better App than the KS App?  Opinions?

I think you could use which ever you wish and whenever. I would need to use darknessbot as EUC World is android only. I just like keeping it simple and the KS app although clunky does everything I need. I don't take the phone out with me. I just switch on the wheel and go, when I get back i log on to the app to update the stats and see my battery level. I hear both EUC world and Darkness Bot are pretty good. My settings are in Mph on the app and on the beeps. The S18 has a beeper but not a speaker pre se, so it will not speak to you like the other kingsong wheels mentioned. You don't even need to have the alarm levels if you don't want, some folk hate the noise of the beeps so only switch them on at high speeds or not at all.

My 16x has speakers, don’t think yours does. I use both the ks app and darkness bot but not at the same time, probably favor darkness only since I can manually reset certain info and I think battery percent is maybe more realistic?

1 hour ago, Grandpa_Jay said:

Is it OK to use both Apps? Bad idea?

It's perfectly fine to mix and match apps, they don't mess with each other. While I'm happily tied into the Cupertino ecosystem, I did buy a burner Android just to run EUCWorld. I like the data logging of EUCWorld better, but if you don't like to nerd out it's not really necessary (except perhaps AVAS, which is good fun but not terribly useful).

The big advantage of the Android is that it has no data plan, was 100USD delivered, and if I break it it's not my daily driver. And it doesn't run down my actual phone while I'm riding.

Basically my current settings, expert or hard mode is just most responsive with the least amount of pedal dip. Under speed tab you set the alarms.

C5139BAB-F7CD-49E1-B930-E7EB898D9671.png

471E382E-8902-48C9-9B9D-8DE011478D9C.png

Edited by Crab

DarknessBot used to have issues if one changed the wheel settings on both the DB and the manufacturer’s app, but I don’t know if that has been resolved and whether that was a GotWay only issue.

On 12/27/2022 at 12:02 AM, Crab said:

expert or hard mode is just most responsive with the least amount of pedal dip.

It is, but it also requires the most effort to accelerate and brake. You’ll have a shorter braking distance with the medium mode.

On 12/26/2022 at 2:02 PM, Crab said:

expert or hard mode is just most responsive with the least amount of pedal dip. Under speed tab you set the alarms.

5 hours ago, mrelwood said:

It is, but it also requires the most effort to accelerate and brake. You’ll have a shorter braking distance with the medium mode.

Why would pedal stiffness affect the amount of effort required to accelerate or brake? To accelerate a rider initially presses with their heels, which leans the rider forwards a bit and exerts a backwards tilt torque onto the EUC, commanding it to brake a bit, which also leans the rider forwards. Once leaned, the rider presses with their toes to exert a forwards tilt torque onto the EUC, commanding it to accelerate and hold or adjust forward lean angle (such as returning to a vertical orientation and stop accelerating). How much torque exerted by the rider onto the EUC to command the EUC to brake or accelerate is independent of how hard or soft the pedal settings are. In a softer mode, the pedals just move more. 

Do any wheels have the actual ability to change the response sensitivity to rider input (tilting torque)? For example the equivalent of a hair trigger response that would require very little rider input (tilt torque) to induce fairly heavy braking or acceleration, which wouldn't be safe. Are there any wheels that tie the response sensitivity to pedal sensitivity? From my experience on my V8F, it seems the response sensitivity closely resembles what a rider would experience if trying to lean forwards or backwards on solid ground.

4 hours ago, rcgldr said:

Why would pedal stiffness affect the amount of effort required to accelerate or brake?

The difference is probably as much 'feel' as it is physics, but physics does imply that because softer pedals will let you tilt forward during acceleration that the tilt naturally moves your center of mass forward (aiding acceleration) without additional 'effort' on your part. Likewise when tilting back.

Do any wheels have the actual ability to change the response sensitivity to rider input (tilting torque)?

IM wheels do have this ability, but AFAIK no other manufacturer offers this. That said, nobody really knows what the various modes actually do other than make the pedals react a little bit slower to input (you can tilt the pedals in soft mode, hard mode keeps them absolutely level)... the mode change might also alter the amount of input required to accelerate/decelerate.

Why would pedal stiffness affect the amount of effort required to accelerate or brake?

This has been discussed in detail in more than one thread. Search for “zippyness” for further reading.

As the EUC riding event is a self-balancing system, the rider must keep a pressure at the front of the pedals for the wheel to accelerate. A softer riding mode both lets the rider reach a forward leaning position easier, and doesn’t try to cancel the lean as aggressively.

Do any wheels have the actual ability to change the response sensitivity to rider input (tilting torque)?

Most of them. That’s what the riding modes do. But:

For example the equivalent of a hair trigger response that would require very little rider input (tilt torque) to induce fairly heavy braking or acceleration

Because of the self-balancing system again, all the power an EUC uses, it does in order to try stay upright. It can’t accelerate or brake on its own, since it would immediately lose it’s self-balancing nature.

Are there any wheels that tie the response sensitivity to pedal sensitivity?

All of them. The pedal softness is what determines the acceleration curve when the pedals deviate from being horizontal. Hard mode reacts more instantly, soft mode allows for slightly more tilt.

If you want to continue the subject, I suggest we do so in another thread.

14 hours ago, mrelwood said:

DarknessBot used to have issues if one changed the wheel settings on both the DB and the manufacturer’s app, but I don’t know if that has been resolved and whether that was a GotWay only issue.

I personally have found the opposite, and read it’s better in gravel and off-road as it’s more responsive.

Hey All - Another Question... Unfortunately, life has not been favorable for me to ride, Outside, since my last incident with the beeping.  I thought that this had unlocked the speed limit on my S18, but looking closer at both apps, it appears that I do still have a speed limit of 12mph. However, before I could NOT raise the MPH on the beep warnings above the speed limit of 12mph = tiltback.  Now, with reading all of your replies, I set my three warnings at 10, 15, 23 and tilt at 27mph.  So, I am assuming that the wheel knows that I am not yet capable and has left the speed limit on?? OR is there something I am missing in the settings?

Both the KS and the World App have approximately the same data (kph on KS). I was wrong on an earlier post about my odometer reading - my user distance is at 23.24 Miles.

Hope all of you are having a fantastic end to 2022!  My wife's birthday was yesterday. My Ex's is the 1st - I am taking them both out (together) for a meal today... A busy time of year for us with another trip coming up soon. Then the weather man says it is supposed to snow tomorrow. BUT !! my helmet is supposed to arrive today! (while we are gone, of course :( ) I sure hope it fits!! This will be my 4th attempt at a helmet. 

Edited by Grandpa_Jay
Typo's
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Grandpa_Jay said:

So, I am assuming that the wheel knows that I am not yet capable and has left the speed limit on?? OR is there something I am missing in the settings?

It may take switching off or logging off bluetooth and back on for it to register on the Kingsong app. When you changed the settings the app will send you a notification straightaway that it successfully updated your settings. If your settings show your new levels when you next switch it on you should be good to go. 

2 hours ago, Grandpa_Jay said:

looking closer at both apps, it appears that I do still have a speed limit of 12mph.

I think when you're stopped KS sets the speed limit very low (no idea why), so the only way to be certain is to take it out and see where tiltback starts... and it's a good idea to spend a little with with tiltback set at a low speed and see what it feels like so you're not surprised when you do hit a real limit. But you're certainly unlocked or the apps wouldn't let you set the speed alarms higher.

2 hours ago, Grandpa_Jay said:

Can I list it in the ads here on the forum?

Absolutely! There's a special subform, I think it's called "Second Hand Sales" or something similar.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

it's a good idea to spend a little with with tiltback set at a low speed and see what it feels like so you're not surprised when you do hit a real limit.

In my case on my V8F, I tested tiltback at 8 mph, 12 mph, and 15 mph to see what it felt like. In the case of the V8F, the tiltback is reasonably smooth and not sudden.

Tilt back on the 16x is smooth but unmistakable, good to know how it feels. I hit mine at 24mph maybe a dozen times on my last ride, I normally cruise at 18-20 but 24 happens easily. 🤪

Edited by Crab

3 hours ago, The Brahan Seer said:

It may take switching off or logging off bluetooth and back on for it to register on the Kingsong app. When you changed the settings the app will send you a notification straightaway that it successfully updated your settings. If your settings show your new levels when you next switch it on you should be good to go. 

It has been several days & several opening & closing of both apps. & Many times the wheel on / off.  Once I reset the beep limits according to the recommendations here - those setting have and are still there with the tilt back at 27mph BUT both apps still show my Speed Limit - MAX Speed = 12mph????

15 hours ago, Tawpie said:

screenshot(s)? Seems weird.

Well, I just went to get screen shots ... and now the 12mph speed limit has been lifted!  I did roll around in circles in the kitchen last night, but it was too cold to take it outside!  I am certain I did NOT get the wheel over 4mph in the house!  At any rate - it seemed to fix itself!  I don't think I am capable of going over 12mph right now anyway, but I knew something was not right and I still have hope that I WILL be able to go 25mph - some day soon.  LOL  

I know I am close!! My titanium spine and cold weather just do not play well together!  SOON!!!

@Paul A - I do not know if the wheel had 'allowed' over 12mph. The App said that the speed Limit was 12. Unfortunately, I am still learning. I THINK, I got close, one time - for about a second LOL. Mostly, I am still rolling a few feet and bailing!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1